Author Topic: Then there were three  (Read 2207 times)

Offline m223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Then there were three
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
That is pretty neat, one could also mill a flat on top of their barrel, drill and tap some holes to mount a 1913 picittany  rail.  Don't take these pictures to seriously please.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »
Mike and Tracy,

Why don't you make and entire  new post on your sighting setup. 

I have been thinking about doing one on how these  guys down here  make ther little guns shoot.  There are some tricks.  By the way there is only  one young guy shooting the cannons.  Everyone else is older than 50 with most over 60.  These fellows don't complain about problems seeing the sights using this method.   The matches down here don't allow sights of any type, so this method has to be used.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 06:58:20 PM »
     DD, we certainly are not complainers, so, after talking it over, Mike and I have agreed to try your club's method and we sure could use some tips in that fine art.  We understand the basic method which your excellent photos clearly show, but any "advanced tips" would be appreciated for sure.  Also, I think we may have missed the posting detailing the distance you shoot at.  We will get some photos and sketches together for a "how to" on the iron sight OR scope base that we made.  Rickk is right; you can modify it to fit almost any cannon contour.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
. I am still running the design thru in the ol' noggin for this particular barrel design.

Consider 3 points of contact - for stability.  Note the difference between 3 and 4 legged stools.  One is stable under all circumstances, one wobbles.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 07:02:22 AM »
I'm still confused. Are sights against competition regulations or not? I don't shoot in competition., just for fun., but if some sights are o.k.  then which are acceptable and which are not ? Does it depend on the model of cannon?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »
Tropico,

It depends were you shoot.  The South Africa folks don't allow sights, but their rules,  what rules they have don't realy prohibit sights.  On the other hand they all build there cannons with a cascabel and  muzzle flare that are the same dimaeter, to make it easier to aim.

The N-SSA fellows and the AA guys as well as Matt Switliks group at Grayling use sights since they are all target shooting.  I'm sure the fellas In Wyoming use sights since they are shooting targets.   Norms group who out shot teh Canadian military witha laser sight certianly had sights.

Sights certainly aren't needed to just make smoke and fire. Sooner or later you gonna want to see if you can hit something with your gun and sights of some sort are going to be needed  Besides hitting a target with a cannon is a lot more fun.  Ya gotta trust me on this, I've been there. 

Even some fun shoots need some way to aim.  Remember this. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,108180.0.html

Mike And Tracy,

I missed your question earlier.  the SAMCC  guys are shooting at 25 Meters.