Author Topic: Then there were three  (Read 2206 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Then there were three
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:10:24 PM »
Posted them your pleasure, Hope you like...

Sorry about the missing can...

Offline Div Arty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Then there were three
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 06:03:11 PM »

Not a family I would want to argue with.  Someday line them all up and give us a picture.  You might have to use a wide angle.

You did good!!!
                                 Div Arty

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:03:47 AM »
El Cazador, Those are nice, thanks for posting the pictures. I'm no photographic expert by any means, but if you spread out a white sheet and place your pieces on it I think they would stand out better. Just a suggestion, Lord knows I can use some pointers from time to time.  Enjoy your cannons!   Tracy 

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Thanks, I plan too once get up to the house, I'll make sure to follow the code of the land.. keep look out for them..  ;D

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »
I'll be watching, just be sure to take them off the sheet when its time for smoke and fire. :-)

Offline lance

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »
ED, great looking set, you'll have to add to it. three of them beauties just ain't enough ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »
Don't forget to mention the "Triplets", which really have to appear together at least once    ;D

Appearing in order of their birthdays...

Tropico

Rickk

EL Cazador

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 04:56:59 PM »
Another tip about the sheet, ask first, it there is a significant other in the house...she will be much more friendly about it, than if she finds out later.

If you use a white sheet get one that is all wrinkled straing out of the dryer.  The wrinkles will break up the glare from a white color. I have a couple of yards of green felt I got at Wally world. 

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
I kept looking at these pictures...,I love my cannon..,but I like Rickks better.., and then there's Ed's which is jewelry., Len definitely knows his business ! .,  I took my cannon apart and decided to live with the carriage but I m making a few changes..., also I got a towel and laid it on a work table in my office and laid the barrel down on it.., after about a 1/2 hour of looking at it., I went out to the shop and came back with the dawgs stainless water bowl and 600 grit wet and dry  and 1200 hundred ,  I have warm water in the  doggie bowl and  a few soaking pieces of the wet and dry.

I am about 1/2 done., the 600 is taking all the machining lines out., and soppy wet 1200 is making it like a glass mirror. Its kinda fun and well worth the effort.  ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 12:09:44 AM »
VANITY!

Especially when you know for combat you'll have to cover it with non-reflective OD paint!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »
UhhOhh.

I fear we will all have headers and mag wheels installed before the end of the year  ;)

Tropico, let's not forget that it was your efforts that started all this. The rest was just "Evolution" :-)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 06:24:23 AM »
HAHA!! :D ;D That's funny, The wife allows this pup into the house. Due to it being all purty and stuff... The rest have to stay in the garage or in my office...

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 06:33:08 AM »
VANITY!  
na....., not me......, never  ;D

*Wicked-Wicked-Gold-Toothed-Grin*

Mags and disk brakes to control recoil ! .,
Have you guys fired these cannons yet?
with a 1' bore  on such a small gun this is one of my favorite cannon.
The "Power to weight ratio" does require use of the ropes  !
At first I tried to gently removed all machining marks with 600 and water.

After that 1200 Wet & Dry smoothed it out real well.

Then i got a mirror polish with Turtle Wax polishing compound.

Yes the golden gun. Brothers in Arms !

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 08:10:57 AM »
Tripico, Beautiful results! There was quite an
"EVOLUTION" in the surface finish here in the barn. In the order of "birth" of these three, we were able to, one at a time. improve the RMS finish. We started using Scotch-Brite grey (PN 07448). JB developed some techiniques with the grey after using PN 07447. The strength in her hands, (110 lbs.) along with with a bunch of surface speed from turning in the lathe produces excellant results. Once the surface finish is taken to approach jewlery, every subsequent cleaning is faster and better.

We have had customers that bought some of our earlier barrels also and tell us that the bores in the newer ones are much easier and faster to clean. You can enhance the surface finish in any barrel with Scotch-Brite. Cut a slot in a wooden dowling rod, insert part of a pad or pads and turn with drill motor. You will find that after a day of fire and smoke that your cleaning time will be quicker and more fruitful.

DO NOT USE DRILL PRESS!!! for your personal safety as well as the health of your barrel.

These three barrels are lucky to have such caring homes!

Michael

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
Tropico... yup... I've fired it with solid lead ball, and 50 grains of 1F. The recoil was no big deal with that load. I managed to hit a 1 gallon milk jug and it sent it flying quite a ways.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:41 AM »
Rickk I never really got much recoil from a 1" bore until I got my Brooks Cannon from Michael (Thanks Michael    ).

On Michaels cannon I used a steel axle with a wheel that had a little play ., (Like ol Don Garlits * King of Drag Racing* used ta say - "Build'em Loose" ) then I got recoil ., also at my buddy Als house he has a course rock drive way..., so we laid down plywood !  After getting "Recoil" which I believe adds to the fun greatly !  I hurried home and sanded ALL my wooden  axle down and made sure everything I own rolled freely .

Since then I now have a "Staging Area"  I use a 2' X 4' ft piece of plywood and 2 doggie screws to chain down an animal . The doggie screws can easily be hooked with my pre-measured ropes to control recoil. George once mentioned in a thread recoil reduces impact on the trunnions. I believe he is right. 
Rickk I just a made a video ...., just for you so you can see the staging area. And its portable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oapAacTl4So

Offline lance

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
Vanity is such a harsh word, but i can almost see you guys looking into a mirror and saying " mirror,mirror, on the wall, who? has the prettiest cannon of all"..............

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
HAHA!! :D ;D That's funny, The wife allows this pup into the house. Due to it being all purty and stuff... The rest have to stay in the garage or in my office...

That's my "Furniture Grade" method..... ;D If they look good they can come on in the house...... :D  :D

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 03:24:11 PM »
I have given some thought to putting a 4x8' wooden shooting area up out back. Someplace under the weeds out back I have a "stone boat" that size I made out of very heavy wood. I no longer need to move stones, so I guess I gotta find it and see if it has not started to decay yet. It would be perfect for a shooting platform. If not, I guess I gotta make another one heavy enough to hold them all. It would be nice if it is raised up a bit above the ground, to help clear the grass and stuff I am trying to grow out there.

Tropico, I'm still shooting about 1/2 the loads you are... and on a dirt surface. I am sure that when I increase the load and make the shooting area smooth things will roll nicely.

What I really need first is a way to sight these things in. I learned alot when Seacoast Artillery visited me on the forth of July (Ya Tracey, I know, I have a coupla pictures that need to me taken and posted... it will happen... soon I hope). Anyway, they showed me a way to make a rifle scope adapter for such guns, and both of my new ones need one to accurately aim. They are on the list of things that need to happen sooner than later.

O ya, I'm not quite done with my brooks carriage yet either... a mod or two is "in the works"  ::)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 12:05:43 AM »
Rick -

I haven't heard the term "stone boat" since I followed one (upstate Vermont) picking up rocks from the upper field.  One horsepower too.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 04:59:51 AM »
Rickk I am thinking of something much simpler and cheaper.
A 1" wooden dowel 2" longer than the bore  with a hole drilled into the end just  large enough for a 4 dollar laser pointer to fit into it  ;D . Cheap and effective.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 06:42:21 AM »
Simple, but not adjustable. Still an excellent idea, it would be fairly accurate at shorter distances anyway. I think I will try it myself.

A tip if you try it though... insert it into the barrel and rotate it. Unless the tolerences are perfect, you will find it makes a circle that surrounds the true center.

Cat Whisperer, my stone boat was garden tractor powered. Several years ago I ordered some 8 foot by 24 inch diameter concrete pipes for a drainage project "out back", without having a clue how to move them. They weighed 2700# each. The "stone boat" was used to move the concrete pipes.

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 08:57:18 AM »
Aiming in is simple, lay done behind the gun and look down the barrel

Align the 12 o'clock of the cascabal ring with 12 o'clock of the muzzle ring at your aim point on the target, 6 o'clock in this case.

Align the 3 o'clock of the cascabal ring with 3 o'clock of the muzzle ring at the center line on the target.

Fire and adjust as needed

Skeptical?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »
The muzzle swell on this barrel is not as big as the diameter around the trunnions.

The lack of taper before the trunnions makes the barrel stronger in the area of the trunnions, but it interfers with the sight picture a bit. A little post sight in the front would make sighting like you are talking about possible.

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
So use the trunnion area instead of the cascabel.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »
Vanity is such a harsh word 
I like it 

And Double D hit his target ALOT.
We did not but we did o.k. a few times and it worked pretty good for us last Saturdayy that same way., However I still wanna make a bore laser sight.

Dennis takes aim with his Kansas Cannon Works Napoleon

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 02:09:21 PM »
What the guys from Seacoast Artillery (secret message...ya, I still need to split that log... it's been hot and then rainy... it will happen...) turned me on to was a sight adapter that sits on the barrel and holds a telescopic sight. I am still running the design thru in the ol' noggin for this particular barrel design. I also plan on scaling it up for the big gun.

Offline lance

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 02:53:51 PM »
i took this pic when the Seacoast guys dropped in for a visit, hope you can zoom it.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »
Yup... that's the ticket... They were here the forth of July, and I saw the thing work... accuracy and repeatability were awesome.

I may have to drill a little pilot detent hole in the front of the barrel... not sure.... still thinkin about it.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
   The sight base that you can see here serves two purposes.  First, it allows old codgers like Mike and I a way to use a scope to clearly see the target for our accuracy experiments which we really love to do.  Second, it allows us to use this size gun in competition after we exchange the scope for iron sights.  We know only what is allowed at the Casper, WY Cannon Shoot, so before you run out and buy materials to make one, please check with your local shoot officials to see if this "sight base" is allowed.

We would be happy to give details on construction of the base if anyone is really interested.  Thanks, Rick, for allowing us to meet your family and see your Lamas and cannon.  Lots of fun!!  Love that carronade carriage.  We knew it would come out looking great!! :) :)  We know you will find an innovative solution to the Paul Bunyan log spitting work.

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling