Author Topic: 221 fireball brass  (Read 708 times)

Offline Gapmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
221 fireball brass
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »
I need some. Anybody want to sell any or know where I can find some? Thanks, Don

Offline gary0529

Re: 221 fireball brass
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
Go to :  http://www.coyoteguns.com/priceform.htm

I have used him for 300 Whisper brass-essentially necked up 221 Fireball- and got great , fast service and good quality brass.

Gary

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:27:52 AM »
Depending on how much you need I have new R-P brass in 221

Offline steve4102

• Avid Poster

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:54:36 AM »
Check with GBO advertiser Ron Reed and/or GBO advertiser Midsouth Shooters Supply. I suspect both have it in stock and you'll be supporting GBO Sponsors plus most likely get it at the best price.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:27:19 AM »
https://shop.reedsammo.com/addToCart.hg?productId=113&qty=1

decent price too

otherwise I can probably let loose with 100 pcs. for the going rate from Midsouth

Offline Gapmaster

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Man, you guys are sure generous. I will check the links out and if I have no luck I may take you up on your offers. I have no emergency, just need to have some for supply. It seems like it's all drying up? Is this my imagination, or is it hard to get? Thank you very much for the offers. This is exactly why I love this board. Don

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »
Since Remington chambered a rifle in 221 starting with the Classic brass has gotten easier to find... for me any way

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »
221 brass is one of those calibers, that when Remington makes a run, you can find it just about anywhere. Then it gets harder and harder to find, as the supply dwindles, and when the demand gets high enough, they make another run. When the 300 Whisper became popular 8-9 years ago, it became almost impossible to find. Then Remington made a run of it, and it was everywhere. When you buy it, get enough to last a few years. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Gapmaster

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:24:46 AM »
I ordered from Reeds today. Thanks everyone. Anyone here an expert at forming .221 brass? Can it be formed from .223 without any special dies? I have the .221 full length die and the seater die. Can I do it with these? I tried running a 223 in the 221 full length die but the shoulder was all scratched up--pretty deep ones too. Looking for suggestions. Thanks, Don

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »
You can in an emergency but you really don't want to. It's really not a fun project and there is a good chance you'll need to reduce the neck thickness after forming them. You "might" luck up and not have to but don't just assume that. Do one or two and see what you think about doing more. I've formed a lot of .30 and .357 Herrett cases from .30-30 and believe me it's a lot better to buy them IF you can get them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
I have made 221 out of military 223 brass. Like Gray Beard said, it is a chore. I had a different die by Redding to reform the shoulder and cut them off to length. After running through that die and trimming to length, I ran them into the regular full length sizer (do not forget to knock off the burrs from trimming). I then had to get rid of the military crimps. I thought I was ready to start loading, but just to be sure I seated a bullet and compared it to fired casing at the neck OD. Sure enough the seated bullet neck was .002 thicker than a fired case. :( I then dragged out the neck turner and turned all of the necks down. I lost some of the brass due to dents and or creases in the case from moving the shoulder back from 223. Should have heat treated them first. Really to do it right, you should heat treat before and after forming. Before to make the forming easier and less chance of losing brass and after because it work hardens the shoulder. If your rifle has a minimum chamber, it makes the bolt difficult to close. After you do all of this run them through a tumbler to get all of the forming grease off. Now we are ready to start loading. If that sounds like it is for you then have at it. I will buy mine unless I can't :)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Gapmaster

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Good advice guys. I think I will continue to buy the 221 brass. I use these to also form my MK4 rounds. They form up pretty easy for me. The 221 sounds like alot more steps and who has time for that, right? :) Thanks for all the responses and help. Don