Author Topic: shotgun barrel for my sons ultralite?  (Read 342 times)

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
shotgun barrel for my sons ultralite?
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »
my 10 year old has a 223 ultralight setup for deer hunting
I am getting on a dove lease and I have a youth 20ga 870, I think it may be a bit much recoil wise for him
hunting, probably be ok, but he will need to practice skeet first and shoot lots of rounds

I was thinking of putting a 410 barrel on his gun, it was bought new in early 2006
assuming it's easy to swap barrels.. ?

what's going rate on a 410 barrel?

thanks

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
Re: shotgun barrel for my sons ultralite?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:52:50 PM »
CCOKER, I RECENTLY BOUGHT A VERSA PACK. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE 22" 410 BBL. IT HAS SHOT WELL WITH 2 1/2IN 7 1/2 SHOT OUT TO 25 YARDS. YOU CAN ORDER FROM H&R FOR $42 PLUS SHIPPING AND FITTING.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
you could also do your son a favor and get him a 28 gauge barrel instead of the .410 gauge fitted to his receiver from H&R for the same price. If you want a .410 you should be able to pick up a used one for around $40 (give or take $5 or so) shipped to you and fit it yourself. Info on fitting is in the FAQ's and any problems you may run into there are many here to help you out....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:17:31 PM »
I think you'd be better off setting him up with the 20 ga with light loads.  My first gun was a Stevens 311c 20ga double barrel(I still have it) my father gave me.  The reason he bought it was I could not hit anything with his 410( if memory serves me it was a savage 22/410 combo) at our monthly skeet shoot.  The thing is a 410 is more of an expert gun than a beginner shotgun.  The limited range and shot pattern makes it hard to hit with, therefore frustrates the young shooter and causes him to lose interest.  That was why my father bought me the 20 ga double.  The little extra weight of the extra barrel helped tame the recoil for the heavier loads.  The 870 with lighter loads would be my pick, or get a 20 ga barrel and put a little weight in the stock(couple threads here on it).  Good luck and I hope you find a shotgun that works for him.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
thanks
I decided to let him try the 870 youth 20ga I have and ordered today a case of Fiocchi lite 3/4 oz loads