Author Topic: EBay to quit gun parts  (Read 4129 times)

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
EBay to quit gun parts
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
As of mid August Ebay will no longer allow the sales of brass, bullets, barrels or any parts "required for firing the gun". Supposedly brought on by the Virginia University shooting. Some lawyer earned his pay today.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: EBay to quit gun parts
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:28:20 PM »
What's the source for that news?

thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »
I was on Ebay and rec'd a msg that everyone should be getting. Will try to post if I can.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »
I checked my messages, nothing there, but it's in the general announcements.

Tim

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707.shtml#2007-07-30094109

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »
Tried to post but something went wrong. Glad you found it. Certainly don't want to start a bad rumor.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
They need to stop selling cars on ebay also if the "gun parts" were used in the VT shooting then there maybe a chance Ted Kennedy may purchase a car from someone on ebay. Bunch of Liberals hey we should let Ted drive a taxi in Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
I think that is a big old pile of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only good thing I can see come out of it is maybe some of these people will sell their barrels  here. The thing is they are not going to get the prices here as they do there.          Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »
Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

95 of my 102 transactions on E-bay were Gun related Parts.... I will now hove NO use for E-bay :)

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 01:50:46 PM »
Oh....man....now how in the world am I gonna sell that barrel that I bot here for $95...shot for 6 months and planned on selling on sleezebay for $350? Gheeezzzz.  ;D

Dave

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »

95 of my 102 transactions on E-bay were Gun related Parts.... I will now hove NO use for E-bay :)

You and me too!!I intend to unregister my accout and stop using ebay totaly.Will explain to them why I an doing so and hope many of you do the same.If they donot support my interest in the shooting sports,then I will no longer support them in any way!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »
I'm in the same boat as DW on this one. What a bunch of bull. Where can we email to complain?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
There in Cali.. So Complaining is No use, there brains don't function properly. They know they will lose Millions over it, and don't care. ~Ace~

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
Like it was said in the first post. This is a Lawyer thing. They may lose million's in profits but if they get out of being pinned for selling a couple magazine's to the shooter and show they are proactive toward anything ever like that ever happening again with their company involved. They will save more money than they are going to be sued for now.        Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 03:59:50 PM »
People will just migrate over to gunbroker.com they are good folks and will make a little more money now.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Below is my complaint to e-bay. A poster prior to me said it probably wouldn't do any good to say anything to them but I want to make sure my voice is heard.

I have been a long time user of E-bay and have bought and sold well over 100 items on e-bay. However as I read about your decision to stop selling certain firearms related products I have decided that as of the date you implement this I will FOREVER be an ex-Ebay consumer. I understand your concern over a product purchased on e-bay was "possibly" used in the VT tragedy, but you state "may have been" used so in reality you don't really know. What if a firearm related item that was purchased on E-bay was used to defend and therefore save some law abiding citizen's life. Does that any difference to you. How about if someone buys an automobile on Ebay motors and some one is killed in a drunk driving accident involving that automobile . Would E-bay stop selling cars? I don't think so. You liberals take a very skewed look at life. Maybe you are offending as many or more law abiding second amendment loving Americans than left wing people you are trying to appease. Rest assured if you continue with this policy you will have as of the day that it begins lost my commerce FOREVER. Respectfully a second amendment loving American citizen. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:38 PM »
They need to stop selling cars on ebay also if the "gun parts" were used in the VT shooting then there maybe a chance Ted Kennedy may purchase a car from someone on ebay. Bunch of Liberals hey we should let Ted drive a taxi in Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  Nice going Charlie!!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
Good going Charlie,I'll be sending a message along the same lines!! ;)
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 04:45:08 PM »
Below is my complaint to e-bay. A poster prior to me said it probably wouldn't do any good to say anything to them but I want to make sure my voice is heard.

I have been a long time user of E-bay and have bought and sold well over 100 items on e-bay. However as I read about your decision to stop selling certain firearms related products I have decided that as of the date you implement this I will FOREVER be an ex-Ebay consumer. I understand your concern over a product purchased on e-bay was "possibly" used in the VT tragedy, but you state "may have been" used so in reality you don't really know. What if a firearm related item that was purchased on E-bay was used to defend and therefore save some law abiding citizen's life. Does that any difference to you. How about if someone buys an automobile on Ebay motors and some one is killed in a drunk driving accident involving that automobile . Would E-bay stop selling cars? I don't think so. You liberals take a very skewed look at life. Maybe you are offending as many or more law abiding second amendment loving Americans than left wing people you are trying to appease. Rest assured if you continue with this policy you will have as of the day that it begins lost my commerce FOREVER. Respectfully a second amendment loving American citizen. Charlie         
   Charlie that was really spoken well. Like you said if someone buys a car from Ebay and it killed someone in a drinking and driving thing. They would have to stop selling parts that would make that car run. Am I looking at this right? I see no difference. Weather  it would a barrel on a gun or a mufler to a car they both are part of a product that killed someone. Dale

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »
I also sent a message to them informing them that I will no longer use them if this policy goes into effect. I think its time for a gun owners BOYCOTT of EBAY. lets whoop it up boys
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »
How come my posts are getting lost?
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
Even though all of us on this site feel the same way. If we all wrote an email saying we would not use Ebay anymore after this policy goes into effect. It would not make any difference. We are just a little over 20,000 strong. There are millions using Ebay. They would not even miss us.   Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
How come my posts are getting lost?

If you make a post too close to the same time as someone else, one post will get dumped in cyberspace, happens too often. :-\

Tim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
Actually what happens is you're not paying attention to the page that it brings up. Rather than making your post IF someone else has posted while you are typing it gives you a RED WARNING that someone else has posted and that you MIGHT want to read it before posting. All you need to do is ignore that and tell it to POST and it will. BUT if you don't tell it to post AFTER that warning comes up your post will be ignored. Lost a few that way myself before I figured out what was going on. Don't be in too big a hurry to move on until you KNOW your post was made.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 05:22:38 PM »
I'll try this again. What is this country coming to? Does everyone feel like they are slowly taking our rights and freedoms away.They are trying to disarm us'and if they are successful this country will be nothing more than a target.Look back through time and every great nation has fallen after a few hundred years.If they take our second amendment right than what's stopping them from taking the rest.This country needs to stand together like we used to,or we are in trouble.If someone dosen't like a firearm thats there right,'but dont take mine or any other law abiding citizens'. Another thing i don't like is removing In God We Trust from our money.I don't care if that offends anyone? I do trust God and thats what this country was founded on.                                                                                                    
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
NEF  .357 magnum
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline v8r

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
Thanks Quick and Graybeard,Im not real computer savvy. By the way I need to change my web address in my profile,can I just type it over the old one?
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
NEF  .357 magnum
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can change it, if you can't, GB can. ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Gee...it sounds just like some NATO BS resolution...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 12:21:46 AM »

Mac

I agree Mac. It sounds like when the the liberal members of our supreme court reference "European" precedents in making their own rulings. I don't know very many Americans if any that give a hoot about what Europe or Canada think. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 01:24:23 AM »
Even though all of us on this site feel the same way. If we all wrote an email saying we would not use Ebay anymore after this policy goes into effect. It would not make any difference. We are just a little over 20,000 strong. There are millions using Ebay. They would not even miss us.   Dale
You are probably right Dale :(.But I see the same thoughts posted on other gun related sites & groups.So if enough members flood them with their intention of canceling the accounts of not just ebay but paypal also,might get their attention.I am going to do just that and if they carry through with this new policy,leaves me no choice but to carry through with MY new policy of not supporting any site that goes against my believes!

Mac

That kind of BS worries me,but hey if they feel that way I will make sure that none of my hard earned dollars go to support this in any way. ;)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 02:06:54 AM »
I started emailing the business that sell sporting goods on ebay

curious to see how this effects their business relationship.

I know if they continue their account there, it will affect me dealing with them outside of ebay.

http://sporting-goods.stores.ebay.com/Hunting_W0QQcatZ7301QQtZlw

thats about 8,100 stores in the hunting section.  Would like to see them all drop ebay.