Author Topic: eBay policy change - no more reloading equipment  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Randy_che

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
eBay policy change - no more reloading equipment
« on: July 30, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Like eBay or not, it's hard to deny that it was a valuable resource for getting brass, bullets, barrels, and other handy gun-related items. No more. eBay has changed their firearms policy to be more in line with gun-banning foreign markets, and are claiming that it is for our "safety".  The Virginia Tech massacre is blamed.

I'll probably keep my account, as I have a good rating, and they may change their policy back to reality in the future, but I have emptied every penny out of my Paypal account. Do what you think is right.

This is the message from eBay.

***Message from Matt Halprin – New Listing Restrictions on Gun Parts*** 

July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT

Matt Halprin
Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: eBay policy change - no more reloading equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »
$%^*(**^% :(

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
I've NEVER EVER bought or sold an item on ebay. In fact I don't even bother to click links people leave to items on there to see what they are. I've survived quite well so far in my life without them and figure this isn't likely to change my life one iota.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 04:58:13 PM »
  If you are an EBAY user you may want to contact them with your thoughts on their new policy. I have informed them that gun parts were my main interest there and if this policy goes into effect I will no longer use their site for any future purchase. I hope others make them feel the power of the American gun owner.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline steve4102

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:14:36 PM »
Hey billy,  Who and how did you contact them.  Do you have an email address of someone important?  All I can find is their generic crap line of customer support.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 06:12:32 AM »
Amazing! Yet Nigerian fraudsters abound, commit real crime, and when you ask eBay about it, they say they have nothing to do with the sellers.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »
Amazing! Yet Nigerian fraudsters abound, commit real crime, and when you ask eBay about it, they say they have nothing to do with the sellers.

exactly.   i see alot of this scam crap recently, and ebay isnt very friendly toward cleaning it up.   tells me they dont care much.  screw em.   guess gun broker will make more now.   

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
If you want to contact Matt Halprin by phone go to whitepages.com it will list him as EBAY vice president and give his work number. You will have to press the 0 key and then use the directory by last name. push 4257746# you will get his voicemail and that he will be out of the office till Aug. 6. I left him a polite message informing him that if there gun parts policy goes into effect I will no longer use there site. And I left him my number, think he'll call me back? I will post the number only if it is ok with Graybeard, it is an EBAY business line not a personal number.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
I had 2 dealings on ebay & got burned 2 times!
_____ me once, shame on you. _____ me twice, shame on me!! Never again.
As for the policy, it's crap! It's most likely run by the people that think gun control is a good thing & don't realize how many lives are save each day because a firearm was available! Most people don't realize more lives are saved by firearms than taken with firearms by murders.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »
The number for EBAY is 408 376 7400. Give him a call and voice your opinion. You have to use the dial by name feature and he will be out of the office until Aug. 6th but I'm sure he'll enjoy a full voice mail box.I called, politely left my concerns name and number, think he'll call back?

I'm not holding my breath!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »
I have not bought any thing on E-Bay so this will not effect me. I have found other sources for my needs. Buying a few bullets and saving a couple of bucks is not worth the hassle to me. How many people have been burnt? That is just not for me, I want to deal with people I know I can trust. 'nough of that.  :D

Now the rant... because we must stand together no matter my personal feelings

On the other hand I do not understand how not selling gun related parts and supplies is going to change the crime scene. By a very large margin the people that deal in gun parts and supplies are law abiding citizens. It IS legal. I seriously doubt if the VT shooter has ever reloaded a shell or cartridge in his life. For that manner, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of killers do not reload, build, rebuild or repair guns. E-Bay said they are not selling bullet "tips". Are bullets OK as long as they do not have tips? How ignorant are they? I think they meant bullets are cartridges and tips are the bullets themselves are tips???...how ignorant, but who knows. It is obvious that the people that made this decision to not sell gun related parts on E-Bay do not hunt, shoot, reload or have any thing to do with gun ownership. How about shot or wads or hulls? They could give a rats a**. They caved to anti-gun lobbyists because they do not have a clue about shooting sports. I suspect that there are anti-gun people working at E-Bay and used this an an excuse to drop the whole thing off. They may have weighed the gun "nuts" against their business they would loose due to anti-gun people boycotting E-Bay and the gun "nuts" lost. They get a clean conscious and the admiration of the anti-gun lobby. ::) I am not even going to talk about how E-Bay found out that parts (magazines I think) were sold over their site, make your own conclusions. Do you think that as soon as they found out that the VT shooter did his very bad thing they looked up all transactions by him to see if bought gun parts? They do not have a clue...or have they wanted to do this all along and have used the VT shootings as an excuse?  The whole "not selling gun parts or gun related supplies" is a stretch. :( How about target stands, targets, rests? Those are not part of a gun or come out of a gun. How about pellet guns or pellets, they did not say firearms it was guns. We will probably never know the whole story. I could go on and on, but what is the point :(

Rant over...all I can say...how sad.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »
Try this email link. It was from someone on another hunting forum.

mhalprin@ebay.com

Dave

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:49:44 AM »
Try this email link. It was from someone on another hunting forum.

mhalprin@ebay.com

Dave

Thanks Dave, I sent in my thoughts to the man.      ;)
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline Randy_che

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
From what I've seen, Auction Arms seems to be trying very hard to grab this market segment from eBay, and looks like the go-to site for firearms-related auctions now. I'll be trying them pretty soon because I just bought a ton of reloading equipment and brass from a guy so I could resell it.

Does anyone know of any other established firearms-related auction sites?

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 02:55:45 AM »
Plenty of other site's to buy and sell. Let them have their over priced  beanie baby and doll collections. -gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 05:29:44 AM »
I got a response back from the office of the president:

Thank you for your recent email to Matt Halprin in regard to changes to our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. He has asked
that I review your email and respond on his behalf.

Let me start by saying that I understand that this is a very frustrating situation. Before choosing to discontinue use of your eBay account I hope that you would allow me the opportunity to explain why we have chosen to amend our policy.

At eBay we take the safety of our community and our marketplace very seriously. We have a Trust and Safety team which consists of more than 2,000 experts in online security and safety who are located around the globe. This team is dedicated to ensuring that
our marketplace is a safe and trusted place for buyers and sellers to engage in trade.

We value an open and transparent marketplace; if items are legal to buy and sell in an unrestricted manner we allow them on our site. However, there are some items that while legal, may not be safe for our marketplace. In these instances, our applicable
policies go beyond the law to ensure that our marketplace is safe.

Currently we do not allow actual firearms on the site. After careful consideration our executives and our Trust and Safety team
determined that any item required to fire a gun has no place on eBay.  All of our policies are under constant review. As the

Internet and the way our communities use the Internet evolves, our policies and our marketplace must evolve with it. We determined that this policy change was in the best interest of promoting a safe marketplace for all members.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Terri
Office of the President

I don't think they care what their customers think.  Oh well thought you all would get a kick out of this none response from Ebay.

Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 05:53:42 AM »
I actually think this is a good thing. The heck with EBay, let the business now flow to gun friendly sources like GunBroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and others.

EBay did away with the lawful sale of firearms & Ammo years ago. I thought they were idiots then. Yet, they do nothing to stop the unlawful sale of obvious stolen goods on their web site. That's why they are knick named EFencing.com.

Who cares..
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline jhm

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »
Lawful Larry :  I recieved the same canned letter explaining to me how they take safety so seriously, I also recieved a survey from them asking WHY I wasnt happy with their responce, I explained that it will not only effect their reloading and gunparts business but will effect any thing else that the shooting community might have thought about looking for on E_BAY.   JIM

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:47:01 PM »

The people that run Ebay are a complete and total bunch of idiots and hypocritical morons. You should be happy they are stopping the sale of reloading gear. On Ebay you can sell alcohol. More people will die this weekend from alcohal abuse then will die from reloading accidents in the next 50 years!!!!

Give up on Ebay but if you do talk to them or write, point out this utter hypocrisy.. Their just a bunch of left wing anti gun liberals. They would allow the sale of cocaine tommorow if it were legal.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:42 AM »
If you read through the new eBay policy, you will see that it does not prohibit reloading equipment, and specifically permits molds.  It does however prohibit reloading components such as bullets and brass cases which were permitted in the past.   It also prohibits barrels and firing pins and magazines that were permitted in the past, but still permits grips and stocks.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html             (un-hide the area under "Some Examples)

Offline Randy_che

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:18 AM »
rbwillnj,
I read the new policy a few days ago, and it is slightly less onerous than they initially implied in their notification letter, but not much.

from eBay:
"Ammunition
This includes live, inert, and blank ammunition, as well as any component used to make up an actual round of ammunition, such as lead bullets, brass/casings, shells, primers and gunpowder."

We already knew about live ammo, primers, and gunpowder. The rest is what hurts.

and later;
" Any of the following items, including those that are required for a gun to fire: silencers, converters (items that can be used to give a firearm automatic capability), kits that can be used to create a firearm, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, choke tubes, trigger assemblies, potato guns and cannons, flares, flare launchers, flare guns, flare gun receivers, short barrels and any illegal firearm-related items."

Half that stuff was illegal anyway, so there was a very limited market for it, and most of us knew better than to even try. The variety and wide market of the parts was one thing that I really liked about eBay. So, for now, you still may be able to sell a press and a shell holder without getting your auction canceled. That's assuming that the eBay censors don't rule that since those items can be used to make ammunition, that they are also implicitly banned items. Still not a very satisfying outcome.

As for Auction Arms, you would think the reloading component sections would really be humming now. Not so. Not many items and almost no bids. Doesn't make this seller happy. I might have to put some package deals together for the GBO classified section.

Offline jhm

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 06:27:10 AM »
Its their site and its my money, never the 2 shall meet again!!   JIM