Author Topic: Review - Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner  (Read 5909 times)

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Review - Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »
I am not fond of cleaning, but I like accuracy. After about 40 rounds my .204 Handi started spreading groups. I had been cleaning with a Bore Snake (it was simple - a couple of pulls and you're done). I had bought the Gunslick foam on a whim and thought I would give it a try. I poked the spout into the chamber and pushed the button until the foam started out the muzzle. The instructions said that copper fouling would turn the foam from white to blue (lead fouling to balck). As the foam dripped out (put down papers) it was definatly blue. I waited a couple of hours, swabbed out the bore, and oiled it. The next outing, the gun gave me nice groups again.

It was less simple than the bore snake, but it seems it was more effective. Any comments?

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Review - Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »
I've been using foaming bore cleaners for the last 3yrs, since WipeOut first was available, they're good stuff. Gunslick is the best buy, it comes in 12oz cans at Sportsmans Warehouse for $12 IIRC, it works almost as good as WipeOut and costs a bunch less. Gunslick, Outers, Forrest and Hoppes are all the same product made by Milfoam, WipeOut is a different product tho and smells a bit different and is a bit more aggressive.

I've found that using the cleaning combination mentioned in the 6mmBr article, they get clean with a lot less effort.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/892401.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »
I use it too.  First I get the soot out with Hoppe's or something simular, then a couple of dry patches and start with the Outers, you may want to try a few more applications, I find all the blue is not gone until I have run it about 5 times.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
Usually one over night is sufficient for routine copper fouling, but the foam tends to settle in the botom of the bore, so I find it works best to lay the rifle on one side with the muzzle just slightly down from level with a paper towel under it for about half the soak time, then on the other side for the other half. For heavy copper fouling another overnight or two may be necessary.

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:55:29 AM »
I am a little more impatient than Tim. I let mine soak for about 30 - 60 minutes and then reapply if necessary. I am on GBO while I wait ;D Of course I try not to let mine get real bad before cleaning. If it is, then Tim's method would work great and save some cleaner. I think the foaming bore cleaners are one of the greatest inventions for cleaning gun bores. ;) It sure takes the work out of it and I can use them in the house without getting driven out. I use a bore guide and have the muzzle pointed slightly down. If you do not hold the nozzle in the bore guide or chamber long enough, it will ooze back into the action (if you do not use a guide) or on to the stock if you do. It has made bore cleaning from a chore to a pleasant endeavor. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
I've been using them for the last year or so.Works great,and like LaOtto I'm impatient too so only do mine a couple times and let soak maybe 30mins each time.The biggest benefit is get on GBO while I wait. :D :D
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 04:15:35 AM »
Mike, I found it to be about the same in my 204. I used outers gun foam but not the Gunslick type, it done the same thing as you described on getting the copper out. I have wondered if there is any real difference between the 2 types? Don't guess it matters as long as it works. I've not used wipeout but everyone who has says it's the best.One gunsmith I talked to said that Gunslick works better because it stays as a foam longer and will work better on the bore as it stays in contact with more surface area.
  Then again he does sell it in his shop  ;) One thing is for sure you can keep your guns real clean but copper can still get in there. Just have to watch out for it.     Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 05:35:21 AM »
Jack, all of the foaming bore cleaners except WipeOut are made by Milfoam, it even says so on the back of the Outers product!! ;D

Gunslick, Outers, Forrest and Hoppes are all the same product made by Milfoam...

Tim

http://www.milfoam.fi/barrel_cleaning_solution.html

Offline jwv

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:59:33 AM »
Tim, I guess what I meant was is it the same strength? I know it's the same product the milafoam. Some products have the same chemicals in it but some will have more strength then the  other. I know some of the ammonia based ones are that way.I guess Milafoam as a chemical  doesn't vary any as a concrentration. Was curious if it did.
                                                                                                                                                         Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 07:09:08 AM »
I can tell no difference in the Outers and Gunslick, but the WipeOut seems to be a tad better, and the WipeOut accelerator makes it work even better, but I haven't tried the accelerator with the Milfoam products. Breakfree also makes a foaming cleaner, it's a Milfoam product also, I knew there was at least one other, but couldn't remember it. :-[

Tim

http://www.sharpshootr.com/new_accelerator.htm

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »

I use both Break Free & Gun Slick a-lot...both do a good job...but...for really copper fouled bores...Barnes CR-10 works better than all of them combined...I do prefer the larger tube that comes with the Break free...over the smaller one on the Gun Slick

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:16:05 AM »
If you want the strongest possible bore cleaner for use with a NYLON brush, Montana Extreme 50BMG is the go to product, the other solvents like Sweets and CR-10 are mild in comparison in my opinion from my use at the range cleaning between shots at break in, and if you go by the ammonia odor, they're lightweights, the 50BMG odor will wake the dead :o and has a warning on the bottle top that should be heeded. ;)

Tim

Offline jwv

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:04:29 AM »
Tim, On the ammonia based ones especially the montana  Xtreme there is no doubt how strong they are, but isn't it true that you need to remove that as soon as possible from the bore as it will etch the bore if left in to long? Seems like I read that some where.   Jack

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »
Yes, they're only for short time use, 50BMG says 5-10 minutes, CR-10 says no more than 15 minutes. Another one that doesn't have ammonia in it is Boretech Eliminator, it also works very well if you don't like ammonia products.

Tim

http://www.boretech.com/introducing.htm

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00155BCTE25004

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00155BCTE25016

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Thanks all, for some good ideas and clarifications. I will be changing my routine a bit because of this info.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »
I tried the foam cleaner just recently and have had good results with it. Gunslick I think

Mc

Offline bgaston

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 03:04:04 AM »
Do you guys use this stuff after every day you shoot your guns??  How often do you use it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:32 AM »
Use it to clean just like any other gun cleaning solvent, but it doesn't need to be brushed, for light cleaning, leave it in the bore for an hour or two, but it can be left in for much longer without any harm, I've forgot and left in in for 2-3 days without any problems, Overnight works great on moderate fouling, that's the way I use it.

Tim

Offline bgaston

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »
So you only use the foam for "light cleaning", but if you needed to do heavy cleaning, you would use a brush???
And "light cleaning" means after every 25 rounds or so?
"Heavy Cleaning" meaning heavy buildup, maybe the gun sat there for a while?

Just trying to get better cleaning practices.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 08:06:30 AM »
My Wal-Mart had the small cans of Hoppes foam bore cleaner on the clearance shelf for $2.00 a can.  I bought all 4 of them.  They had the original price listed as $6.98 a can, which I thought was steep for the 3 to 4 oz can.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 08:55:15 AM »
So you only use the foam for "light cleaning", but if you needed to do heavy cleaning, you would use a brush???
And "light cleaning" means after every 25 rounds or so?
"Heavy Cleaning" meaning heavy buildup, maybe the gun sat there for a while?

Just trying to get better cleaning practices.

All the foams can be brushed...there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that...Does it help...well...for my applications it has...and 1 of my barrels was checked with a scope just recently...and they know just how clean it was......I'll use 3 applications of the foam...brushing between...They say you don't have to...but...on my barrels I have proven to myself using a nylon brush and the foam works exceptionally well...my dry  patches shows me this..and this is using a treated jag that has already been wiped down and has turned dark...it isn't giving false readings...When I am in a hurry....I'll use them as directed...and remove 95% of all copper fouling  in them...I'll use a brush when I've used any coated bullets...and wanting to remove the coating from the bore...or just not wanting to wait 1/2 an hour between shooting more foam in..

Not all barrels will shoot good when cleaned completely...and some will have to be fouled somewhat to stabilize the load..The trick is knowing when to clean and how much...and this will all depend on what bullets your shooting...Some foul more than others...coated bullets will leave their coating behind just as copper bullets do...but...with them...you want a certain amount in the bore...and don't want to remove all of it...

Your groups & velocity will show you this...especially if you are chronographing you loads...Don't just look at the averages...look at the variances in the extremes as well...and you should be able to correlate that with any stringing going on provided you have a good lock up...and keep an accurate count on how many rounds you have shot between cleanings...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...