Author Topic: ebay  (Read 725 times)

Offline mjshell

• Trade Count: (0)
ebay
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »
ebay has a new policy on selling gun related items. another anti-gun ploy. an online petition has been started that you may or may not want to participate in.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ebay0001/petition.html

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
Re: ebay
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:07 AM »
    I signed it, even though it won't do any good.  You just can't talk sense to some people.  There could be a hundred thousand signatures on this petition, but eBay doesn't care.  "Politically correct" BS is what this new policy is.
Dan  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  >:( >:(

Offline Benaiah

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:37:38 AM »
 I signed it, sent an email to Mr Halprin, and closed my account.
I've shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol!

Gus McRae

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
Re: ebay reply from customer service
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:59:48 AM »
Dear David,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the upcoming changes to our
Firearms policy.

The changes to the Firearms policy have come after careful review of our
existing policy. Although we value our open and honest environment, some
items that can legally be sold may not be safe for our marketplace. Many
of our policies go beyond what the law requires to ensure the safety of
our eBay members and the community.

While many everyday items can be used to cause harm to an individual,
most items we permit for sale on eBay are not designed with the intent
to cause harm or are not likely to be used to cause harm.

David, I appreciate the fact that you may disagree with certain aspects
of this policy. If you would like to see this policy change, or have
suggestions on how to make our site better, I encourage you to submit
your ideas using the link below.

eBay welcomes comments from members of our Community about our products
and services. We have a long-standing company policy, however, that
doesn't permit us to accept or consider any ideas, suggestions,
proposals, or materials other than those eBay has specifically
requested. This policy is intended to help eBay avoid misunderstandings
if new products, services, or features developed internally by eBay
employees are similar or even identical to a member's idea.

***Important***
Any comments or materials you have submitted or may submit to us,
including questions, technical or creative suggestions or ideas, are
considered to be non-confidential and non-proprietary. For more
information about this policy, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unsolicited-ideas.html

If you'd still like to send us a suggestion, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/newtoebay/suggest.html

As you are a valued member of our community, David, we sincerely hope
that you will consider continuing to use eBay for other online trading
needs.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for
the inconvenience it caused you.

Sincerely,
Cherie

eBay Customer Support

I wrote them back:

99.9 % of most firearms related items sold on Ebay are commonly and legally available on the Internet and in most sporting good stores.  Specifically, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Midway, Sportsmanguide.com and Dick's sporting goods are among those retailers (all online) who legally sell magazines, ammunition,  reloading equipment, and optics. They adhere to state and federal laws concerning sales of ammunition, magazines, Curios and Relics, antiques, and they also adhere to the ONE thing that cannot be sold without a Proper Federal firearms license...the firearm Receiver.  The NRA can assist EBAY is following these guidelines to the letter. The local office of the ATF can do that as well. There is no need to go overboard on your policies on gun parts. You only need to follow the existing laws.

However, Ebay has enabled unique items to be sold, (not modern, not illegal to sell by any rules, federal or state) those items long set away in drawers or attics, or old gunsmith shops, many of them now estates. The source for repair parts for antique firearms especially has come alive because of the unique venue EBAY offers for everyday people (thousands and thousands) to share the caches of old parts for firearms that are truly antique or no longer made. The danger of anyone using these type of firearms in a crime is nil.   My suggestion to Ebay is that if they are concerned about what is being sold on Ebay, consult with the experts on the subject, the NRA. They would be more than happy to consult with you and weed through your fears. I doubt that EBAY truly knows the magnitude of what it plans to do.  You have hundreds of EBAY stores that will be affected and I doubt your stockholders have even been given a voice in this matter. It will affect 10 thousands of your customers, who have stuck by EBAY in good faith.  If you disallow it, it ALL (WE ALL) will take that business to others who will provide the service.

The saying:  Don't cut of your nose to spite your face?  If you force all of this type of material to move to another place, you will have lost any control at all that you had in the first place. Won't you actually be making it worse if you are so concerned?

All of us outdoor enthusiast truly despise knee jerk reactions to tragedy like VT. If you also notice EBAY may be the ONLY organization knee jerking this because the perp MAY (not even proven) bought something on EBAY.  Congress amazingly did not even knee jerk this as they are typically famous for doing.

NO ONE right minded is placing  blame on  EBAY or accusing EBAY of being part of some kind of problem. The MEDIA..leftist by nature, will always attempt to hang blame on anyone after a terrible event such as this. What I'm saying to EBAY is shelf this for now. Put it away and think about it again in two years. DO NOT knee jerk this. Be the thoughtful merchants you have come to be and abide by the adage, if it isn't illegal, do not mess with it. 

Just please pass this on to you CEO, he needs to hear from some other opinions beside his friends.

David Berry
LCDR, USN (retired)
NRA life member
Federally Licensed Curio and Relics Collector (03 license
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 06:17:41 AM »
   You can call Matt Halprin at 408 376 7400 and voice your complaint directly to him. You have to use the dial by name feature and you will get to his voice mail , it says he will be back in the office on August 6th. I left him a voice mail with my number and I'm not holding my breath for him to call me back.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
I signed the petition. But I do not see anything changing. I went to the forums on ebay. People could not even express their frustration without some dumb half-witted comment from a tree-hugger. All the Liberals are happy about it as long as they get to trade their Beanie Babies and cat toys.  We all know who ebay is catering to now.  I'm done as soon as my last few items arrive.  Is there a thread on alternate sites to goto??? There needs to be one so our fellow sportsman know where to go.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »
I think Auction Arms and GunBroker are going to try and pick up the slack.  I know the head of Auction Arms did an email blast a couple of weeks ago assuring us that his company wouldn't abandon us.  Ebay had become such a repository of so many items it will be difficult for one of these sites to truly pick up the slack.  Stinckin' liberals.