Author Topic: Freeway Bridge Collapses over the Mississippi River in Mineapolis MN  (Read 1606 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Just listening to the news a freeway bridge over the Mississippi collapsed at 6:06 PM. No word of fatalities yet but lots of injuries. Sixty some feet from the bridge to the river. Looks like the Whole span collapsed. They were working on the bridge but they do not know what happened yet. This happened during rush hour traffic. Bumper to bumper traffic according to the news reports. Update fatalities are starting to be reported.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline powderman

Re: Freeway Bridge Collapses over the Mississippi River in Mineapolis MN
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
Just saw the pics. They said at least 60 cars were involved with 3 known deaths so far. POWDERMAN.  :( :( :( :( :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:15:44 AM »
The thought of a collapse has crossed my mind many times.  I cross "Big Muddy" quite often, and often wonder about the maintenance and up-keep of the structure.  Some of the bridges, particularly those in the hurricane zone are surely questionable, like those at Baton Rouge, Natchez, Vicksburg, or the old bridge at New Roads, La.  I sometimes cross at Memphis, and best my memory serves me, it doesn't look that great either. 

When you speak to the "Big Man", say a prayer for the victims and their families.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:35:06 AM »
The engineers interviewed agree that 40% of all the bridges in the U.S. are in need of replacement. Our highway system is basically worn out in much of the U.S., but HEY, we're building some nice systems in other countries. :)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:39:10 AM »
... but HEY, we're building some nice systems in other countries. ...:)

lol. 
anyone else thinking terrorism?  the twin cities have a huge population of muslims, and they have a history of acting up.  my fiance is from there, and the first thing she said when she saw it on the news was "terrorism."   until i see footage of stuff that leads me to believe otherwise,  i just cant stop thinking that it could possibly be terrorism and authorities are trying to pass off as structural failure.   same thing with the poison in the food.   i am suspicious.     ???

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
lol  ??? I'm confused myronman3. You quoted me, with my post, but then got off on terrorism? What is it your saying? ???

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:21:42 AM »
better?   didnt mean to be unclear...

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »
Ok, I thought I was the one being confusing. :D

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
The engineers interviewed agree that 40% of all the bridges in the U.S. are in need of replacement. Our highway system is basically worn out in much of the U.S., but HEY, we're building some nice systems in other countries.  Yep you got it right sob steal the tax money to maintain are roads. WE need more illegals in the country to fix are road because Americans don't want those jobs .

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:40:34 PM »
There's no need to start up any conspiracy paranoia. The bridge was built in 1965. Inspection had shown the need for maintenance/repair/replacement. It fell down. It's not the first; it won't be the last. I suppose you could say that terrorism brought it down, if you believe that the money wasted in Iraq would otherwise have been spent on maintenance. It's actually very difficult to bring down a bridge with explosives, as our military discovered many times in WWII.

"Delayed maintenance" is literally killing us. Everyone wants the kudos for building something new. No one gets any glory for properly maintaining what we have. The president of a successful private college in Missouri was asked, at his retirement, what he was most proud of. His answer---that every building on campus had a new roof and new windows. That sort of pragmatic leadership is in short supply.

Offline powderman

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
I cross the Ohio River bridge every day, yes I've thought about it. You don't realize how much those bridges sway and vibrate til you have to sit on one as traffic moves past as you sit still, quite a ride. POWDERMAN.  :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
I got to agree with toysoldier on this on. Back in the '30's there was the bridge in the Seattle area that swayed and bowed, and then finally came down. One over the Ohio river in the late "60's. Sometimes ''stuff'' happens!! gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline magooch

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 03:47:31 AM »
I got to agree with toysoldier on this on. Back in the '30's there was the bridge in the Seattle area that swayed and bowed, and then finally came down. One over the Ohio river in the late "60's. Sometimes ''stuff'' happens!! gypsyman

The Tacoma Narrows bridge is the one you refer to that swayed and bowed before it fell down.  This was in the Tacoma, Washington area.  The bridge didn't fail from lack of maintenance; it failed due to a design flaw that didn't take into account how the bridge would react to strong wind. 

I wondered how long it would be before people started blaming the bridge collapse in Minneapolis on President Bush.
Swingem

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 06:34:28 AM »
This bridge had been identified as having problems for well over 10 years.  The folks responsible for the repairs preformed only routine work, and did nothing to correct the root problems.  

Comparing the bridges in America to those in Europe is kinda like comparing apples to oranges, All one has to do is drive the highway system in Europe to see how well they are constructed.  Maybe we should hire a few German engineers to help correct the highway system here.  Their expertise in building is reflected by the fact that it was very hard to blow their bridges up during WW II, and many of those we were trying to destroy were 40-50 years old at the time.  Perhaps they had superior materials, or we had weaker explosives, but the fact remains many of the bridges that we tried to blow up are still in use today.

It is time that we start spending some of the money we spread around the world here at home.  Our highway system is a good starting place, them move on to government building that have deteriorated to the point that they are almost unusable (Walter-Reed is a good example).  

Charity starts at home!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »
I wondered how long it would be before people started blaming the bridge collapse in Minneapolis on President Bush.

didnt blame bush at all.   dont insert words in my mouth.   what  i wondering if this may have been an act of terrorism.  you all seem to KNOW alot of things for sure,  yet all i have heard from any of the people brought in is that examining the evidence is not going to be an easy  task.    a few have speculated that it was a structural problem, but i havent heard anyone stick their professional rep on the line and come out and say outright that is what it was...period.
  and dont forget kids,  i live rock throwing distance from the area and my fiance just moved here from there,  so this cat is very familiar with the area and recent devolpments.   
 replys welcomed,  but have your facts straight, and stay out of the duck butter.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »

The Tacoma Narrows bridge is the one you refer to that swayed and bowed before it fell down.  This was in the Tacoma, Washington area.  The bridge didn't fail from lack of maintenance; it failed due to a design flaw that didn't take into account how the bridge would react to strong wind. 

They already have. Like they blamed him for the tornado in Greensburg Kansas, and Katrina.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:35:25 PM »
I have crossed that very bridge many times. It is disturbing to know that government officials decided not to repair this bridge based on an economics, not public safety.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline magooch

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 05:08:34 AM »
The bridge falling down is very disturbing, but I'm more than a little disturbed at how quickly the federal government is apparently coming up with the money for a new bridge.  When we needed a new bridge in our town, we (the city) had to pay for it and when we just recently got our pork-barrel bridge to nowhere, it is being paid for with a state gas tax increase.  Tacoma just got another Narrows Bridge and that has a toll on it.  What is so special about Minneapolis?
Swingem

Offline jhm

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 05:28:59 AM »
Just curious:  How many of us drive cars that have needed maintence due them, how many of us build fires in their home fireplace that need a good cleaning, how many of us live in a home that hasnt had a real inspection to varify if it is safe to live in, how many of us fire a weapon that hasnt had a gunsmith inspect since it was last fired, and how many of us look for a inspection sticker on a plane before we board it, how many of us check the cables of the elevator we get on, and some of us go on cruises on large boats how many of us wonder if the boat is taller than the water is deep?  just think about it for awhile and of course the list goes on and on and on.   JIM

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
Come on TM7, you ain't serious are you? Next you'll be blaming it on the fact that Minnesota just elected a Muslim to the congress. No wait you like Muslims don't you? And was it Minnesota that elected the Muslim? Oh, well, I may have got my facts bass ackwards.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 08:54:49 AM »
I hadn't heard that the feds came up with the money to replace the bridge, only $5M in aid to help with the current efforts.  Maybe I am just not up to date on the info.  I would think that in a post-Katrina environment it's not surprising that there would be a quick response. 

Addendum - just read in USA TODAY that Congress had approved $250M funding. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »
Cement man is right, this is post Katrina inspired.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Just curious:  How many of us drive cars that have needed maintence due them,

Not me mine gets all regularly scheduled maintenance on time.

how many of us build fires in their home fireplace that need a good cleaning,

Not me got no chimney but if I did might then be guilty.

how many of us live in a home that hasnt had a real inspection to varify if it is safe to live in,

Not me I did have such an inspection.

how many of us fire a weapon that hasnt had a gunsmith inspect since it was last fired,

Now that one's a tad silly. I'm personally capable of inspecting my own guns when cleaning them.

and how many of us look for a inspection sticker on a plane before we board it,

Don't fly.

how many of us check the cables of the elevator we get on,

Kinda reaching there aren't you? Back to the tad bit silly area in my mind.

and some of us go on cruises on large boats how many of us wonder if the boat is taller than the water is deep?  just think about it for awhile and of course the list goes on and on and on.

Never had a desire to go on a cruise.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 10:14:18 AM »
Is that chinese sweet or sour? ;D

Offline Brett

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »
Just curious:  How many of us drive cars that have needed maintence due them, how many of us build fires in their home fireplace that need a good cleaning, how many of us live in a home that hasnt had a real inspection to varify if it is safe to live in, how many of us fire a weapon that hasnt had a gunsmith inspect since it was last fired, and how many of us look for a inspection sticker on a plane before we board it, how many of us check the cables of the elevator we get on, and some of us go on cruises on large boats how many of us wonder if the boat is taller than the water is deep?  just think about it for awhile and of course the list goes on and on and on.   JIM

Not quite sure what you are driving at Jim.  Are you advocating that we pull to the side of the road and inspect any bridges we come to prior to passing over or under them?  

I don't know about where you live, but every state I ever resided in require private vehicles pass a safety inspected once a year and that any dwelling purchased, sold or built had to pass a safety inspection (certificate of occupancy) before it can be inhabited.  All public transportation, including elevators,  escalators, trains, planes buses and automobiles and boats for hire require routine safety inspections w/ certification and every place that serves food require a seal of approval from the health department.  

As far as things like fire places, smoke detectors, firearms, appliances, tools,  etc. in private residences go it's up to the owners to inspect and maintain them.  What does any of this have to do with the bridge incident.    
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Brett

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Yes,,,I believe that is a correct statement... Old Chinese saying: Three things can never be hidden--the Sun, the Moon, and The Truth...

....TM7

Ah, yes.... However from time to time things can get cloudy obscuring any of the three .
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jhm

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 01:50:36 PM »
Well I wasnt advocating anything I was just stating some things that we ALL take for granted in life and that bridge as well as all the things and many others we just take for granted, you know it worked yesterday it will be OK today, No I feel vary sorry for the people involved in that colapse of the bridge, but society has become to the point that it has to find SOMEONE to blame for it rather than SOMETHING to blame.  And GB I do my own repairs also.  JIM

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
well here i sit in minneapolis as i type, and just read everything i could about this,  and finished watching the lastest news locally.  so far, they dont know for sure what caused it yet.  nothing but speculation thus far.....

Offline magooch

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 04:38:18 AM »
While it is still way too soon to be speculating on the real cause of the Minneapolis bridge collapsing, it might have a lot more to do with the ground giving way than with maintenance issues.

Graybeard, great minds must think alike, because I'm with you all the way when it comes to the points you responded to regarding inspections and maintenance.  I in fact have looked at the license on some of the elevators that I have ridden on--when they are posted.  I don't fly either and I do  my own home, auto and gun maintenance and inspections.
Swingem

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »
now the fbi has evidence recovery teams on site.    hmmm....