Author Topic: Going for Caribou/Grizz  (Read 527 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Going for Caribou/Grizz
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:26:22 AM »
Leaving Thursday for the Taylor highway to hunt Caribou.  Will be using the Handi 30-06.  Since this area also has the highest concentration of Grizzlies in the state, possiability of getting a shot at one of them also.  No Grizzly tag needed for this area.  I'll be carrying two cartridges, 165gr Sierria Boattails for the Caribou, and 180gr Nosler Partitions for Grizz.  The wife is going on this hunt as well.  She too will be carrying a 30-06, her Remington 7400, she does no like single shots.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Smoke Wagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Going for Caribou/Grizz
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:46:03 AM »
Sounds like you'll have a good time. I went deer hunting in Patton Maine in 1987. All the guides used .30-06 for black bear, but they all shot the 220 grain slug..... I think 180 would be fine..they probably used the bigger bullet to help recover bad shot pissed off bears. ???
" Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called the Children of God" Mathew 5:9

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:16:26 AM »
Be safe, good luck and have a wonderful time. 

Looking forward to a full report when you return.  ;)

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:08 AM »
I love my handis, but you have more guts than I to go after a grizzly with one, especially a 30-06.  I am thinking more like a 50BMG!!!!

Good luck and be careful.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »

Good hunting Rog...let us know how it turns out...with lots of pictures I hope ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »
I love my handis, but you have more guts than I to go after a grizzly with one, especially a 30-06.  I am thinking more like a 50BMG!!!!

Good luck and be careful.

I'll second that.
Nothing around here bigger than a white tail.