Author Topic: Americans Want Surveillance Cameras....?  (Read 549 times)

TM7

Americans Want Surveillance Cameras....?
« on: August 03, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »
according to recent survey.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3422372&page=1

...TM7

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Americans Want Surveillance Cameras....?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:01:57 AM »
They might prove their worth fighting terrorism and crime, but when they start wanting to use them as a traffic revenue enforcing tool, I'm not so sure.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:43:18 AM »
Results to surveys can vary largely based on the way the question is asked.

Many people might want a few more cameras at very dangerous locations and such, but they simply don't realize that the trend here will be to setup cameras just about EVERYWHERE.  Hell I work for a local (county) government in it's IT (ie, computer) department, and about 2 years ago Cisco had a product presentation for us for these nifty new "mesh" wireless routers.  We didn't implement them (cost was WAY too much for us), but they essentially were these little computer routers that would go on every 4th or 5h power pole (in the entire county).  They could "bounce" a computer signal between the units for as long as necessary to get back to our central location for wireless communication (main use here was for law enforcement and emergency services to have network access in their vehicles anywhere), but they also could have little cameras added, so that at ANY of these a person back in the office could pull up the camera for that pole. 

Now, it's all in public places, but having virtually every road and house in the county under surveillance just doesn't seem too appealing.

And trust me, this is an issue that spans liberal and conservative alike.  The vast majority of technology/computer enthusiasts are very, very supportive of privacy, despite having a fairly good mix of liberals and conservatives (I'd probably say around 70/30 split liberal/conservative, but that's just a guess).

Just as a heads up, just as the NRA works for our gun rights and should be supported, the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation http://www.eff.org ) is a non-profit group in place to support electronic freedoms and privacy (an area also under frequent attack).  I'd strongly urge anyone concerned with national privacy to keep an eye on their site as well.

Late edit:  A good source to be cited when referring to electronic freedoms and the nightmare that this can descend into is Richard Stallman's little story, The Right to Read.  When he first wrote it people felt he was exaggerating, but as time goes on his story is looking more and more plausible.  The version in this link has some comments from the author updated for 2007 (the original was written 10 years ago). http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »
I think it's one more step down the slippery road to big brother control.  How many of our freedoms have been lost (willingly given up) to the mantra of "we doin' it fo the chirren" and "it's fo you own safety".  The home safety act has been turned into a citizen control tool by the bureaucrats.
The latest is random blood testing and warrentless entry and search.  The cry being "if you've got nothing to hide, why should you care?"   Look at the abuses in NO and you see why I care. 

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:21:12 AM »
The main place that needs surveilling is our borders.  Get that done and it would go a long way toward negating the need or desire for it elsewhere.
Swingem

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:31:14 AM »
The main place that needs surveilling is our borders.  Get that done and it would go a long way toward negating the need or desire for it elsewhere.

You're not going to see much surveilling at the border as long as the present administration is in charge. This bunch has opened the door down there and everything that walks, crawls or slithers is just coming on in. And if you happened to be a Border Patrol agent down there or a deputy sheriff, your days of freedom might be numbered if you put a stop to any of it. And if you happen to buy any chicken where these people work at the chicken processing plants, you better make sure it's cooked well done or you'll get a bad case of the runs. And that's not being PC, just being honest!
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:54:24 AM »
Looks like I'm in the minority according to this survey.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater