Author Topic: 12ga flares  (Read 527 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
12ga flares
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:20:55 AM »
this might be dumb but can you shoot 12ga flares in a 12ga shotgun?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
Re: 12ga flares
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »
Yes, but they present multiple challenges. First, they are launched using black powder to keep pressures low enough to fire in the cheap, plastic flare pistols. Your shotgun will require cleaning like a muzzleloader. Second, if they are fired anywhere but over water, they will ignite any combustible material such as dry grass. The 12 gauge flares almost always burn all the way down. Don't ask me how I know. I much prefer the 26.5 mm surplus flare pistols and ammo. They can be ordered online from Dan's Sporting Goods and marine supply outlets.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
Never thought of that...  Great question.  I've seen all kinds of specially 12 gauge ammo out there too.  Just about anything you can think of is out there.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 06:33:09 AM »
i thought you could. I always see them on people boats and i thought it would kind of mult-use if you could have a single shot shotgun(like the tamer) for flares and shoot slugs or buckshot for hunting on land. like if your boat sunk and you were on a island and had to live there for some days.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »
Same kind of theory I have with my 870.  It holds 6 shots with a cylinder bore barrel.  I can shoot slug, birdshot, of 00shot shot out of it.