Author Topic: Topper Deluxe Classic ???  (Read 604 times)

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
Topper Deluxe Classic ???
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:12:10 AM »
Hi,
I shoulder one of these shotguns last night. I really liked it. I'm probably gonna order one in 20 gauge.

My question is that I heard the rib was plastic, but when I looked at it, it looked like metal to me. Could it be Aluminum?

Chad

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Topper Deluxe Classic ???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:57:13 AM »
Chad,

If you handled a 12ga, try to find a 20ga to see how it handles before you order. I was going to buy a 20ga until I handled them both side by side. The 20 is heavier than the 12, and doesn't balance as well IMO. You may think otherwise. The 20 ga barrel is not 26" as H&R has it listed, it is the same length as the 12ga, 28". I ended up getting neither.

I have also heard that the rib is plastic, but don't believe it for a minute. I think it is some sort of metallic alloy, possibly alluminum.

I was at Williams Gun Sight last weekend and they had a shortened (18.5") TDC in there that had been re-threaded for choke tubes.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:03:57 AM »
I owned a TDC in 20ga. What a disappointment, as was mentioned it comes with a 28" barrel and it looked to me like it was a 12ga barrel (outside diameter) that had been bored to 20ga, which would account for the excess weight. The rib looked like plastic, but I'm not sure, my magnetic tru-glo wouldn't stick to it... I ended up giving it to a friend.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline chad1043

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »
Dave,
I'm sorry it was a disappointment. How much heavier was it? What were you planning on shooting with it? What did you decide on switching to?

Thanks,
Chad

Offline Dave Weiss

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
Chad, it weighed a shade over 7 pounds. My Ruger O/U 20ga only weighs 6 1/2 lbs. I was hoping for a 5-6 lb gun for some of our longer forays for grouse or ptarmigan. I'm considering a Pardner in 20 or 16. For now the Ruger works just fine.

>>>===> Dave

Offline chad1043

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »
Do you have a Red Label. I shouldered that one too. It was a right nice shotgun. I just can't seem to find the $1,400 I left in my back pocket. If I could have bought a O/U last night it would have been that Red Label.

I wanted to shoot trap with the H&R, so I guess the added weight of a half pound ain't gonna bother me too much.

I'm also thinking about grabbing a Franchi 48 20 gauge. I wish I could afford another A5 in 20 gauge.

Sorry the gun didn't work out for you.

Peace,
Chad

Offline Dave Weiss

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »
Chad, I picked up the Red Label at a pawn shop for $750.
If you're short on cash (I know the feeling) I think the Pardner is the way to go, the TDC looks good, but... the extra 1/2 pound isn't in the right place to make it a good trap gun. I'm a decent shot, (20+ with most guns) I couldn't make that happen with the TDC and I tried hard, hoping to find some redeeming factor.

>>>===> Dave