Author Topic: wanted advice on shotgun barell for son's handi ?  (Read 408 times)

Offline George K

• Trade Count: (0)
wanted advice on shotgun barell for son's handi ?
« on: August 05, 2007, 05:11:02 AM »
I would like your advice on which barrel to buy.  We have just started trap shoot at the gun club we belong to.  Trying different guns at the club my son 11 seams to be ale to to shoot the 12 ga trap guns thy have.  What is the SO3213 12 ga 28" vented rib barrel like?  I am considering buying it with an extra full or turkey chock for turkey.  Any recomendations will be appreciated.  I'm thinking the more he shoots with the same gun the better he will get.  Is this a good choice for a trap gun for  beginner?
Thanks in advance.
George K

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: wanted advice on shotgun barell for son's handi ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
I've never shot trap but If I were you I'd get both and sell the one that doesn't fit as well in the classifieds.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: wanted advice on shotgun barell for son's handi ?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »
I would get him the model with screw in chokes. You will likely find the "turkey" chokes a bit tight for trap, esp the beginner.

As your finding out trap is a full choke game. Birds flush for 16yrds in front of you and depending on your speed they get out another 15 yards or so before you fire.

For informal, learning and just plain enjoying the sport of trap, YES you and your son will be just fine with a handi.

BUT...having said that. Shot-shell shotguns are a different animal than a rifle or a slug gun and my only real concern is fit.... As you point a shotgun not aim one it needs to fit to be shot well. You need to be able to reliably and consistently shoulder the gun and have everything properly lining up to consistently break the birds. Thankfully H&R's are pretty forgiving, easily lending them selves to stock shortening.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.