Author Topic: Weird results on Sunday  (Read 528 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Weird results on Sunday
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
I have a ''Play Load" for my 45LC that is a 250gr LRN in front of some Clays powder that run around 800fps(I don't have a chrono,this is what the loadbook shows) that shoots about 2'' high at 25yds. Yesterday,I shot another load that used the same bullet but a max load of Unique for about 1200fps. What surprised me was that the hot load hits 6'' lower on the target. I would have figured it to hit higher. Have any of ya'll had this happen?

Thanks in advance,

HWD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Weird results on Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:00:49 AM »
Nope from a handgun slower and heavier both hit higher than faster and lighter. It's a matter of the effect of recoil rising the muzzle while bullet is still in the barrel. A faster bullet is in the barrel a shorter time thus raises barrel less and a heavier bullet causes more rise than a light one as well. What you experienced is normal and to be expected.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 303Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
Interesting that.  I get that effect from my 303 Brit (big time) but not my hornet so much (no real recoil).  But I have never experienced that effect in either my 9mm Star model B nor my 44 mag single action revolver.

303Guy

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
I've had something like this happen in rifles but just the opposite. Heavier loads hit higher than light ones, but this one hadme scratching my head.

Thanks for the info.

HWD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »
Like I said if you were an experienced hangunner you'd not be scratching your head but would have understood that's the way it is. Having posted it here you may or may not get much input from the other experienced handgunners here but had you posted it to a handgun forum you'd have gotten several such responses.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Like Graybeard said, simple really. The heavier, slower projectile stays in the barrel longer, which is in recoil. It exits the barrel at a point where the barrel is elevated by that recoil, causing a higher bullet strike. To a point, longer barrels have a more pronounced effect than shorter ones.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:23:45 PM »
So you see....with heavy bullets you point lower to hit straighter and with light bullets you point straighter to hit same-mer.  ;D Easy huh?? :-\

Dave

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
So you see....with heavy bullets you point lower to hit straighter and with light bullets you point straighter to hit same-mer.  ;D Easy huh?? :-\

Dave

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Like the others said, it's perfectly normal.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:21:25 AM »
GB,
I figured it would be better here as it dealt with my handloads. I've not played with handguns for long, so thanks for letting me dig into your experience.

Savage,
Longer barrels make it worse? This load was shot from a 7 1/2 barrel.

Thanks again for the info.

HWD