Author Topic: Walk the walk!!!  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Walk the walk!!!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
Boy! talking about shooting the $#it ;D... Looks like you guys had a blast... What was the amount of Dong Wad used and is it legal and or sanction by this tournament governing body... :D

Dung wads are measured strictly by UNITS.  Under the stress of combat and the urgency to sling, the requirement to weigh or measure by volume was waived long ago.  All is fair in love and war; at least so I've heard.  Wearing of protective safety gear, though, is still a requirement for obvious reasons.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »
Tim, since you are a city kid, i know it's hard to find the right ammo and wads. so guess what i'm boxing up for you?? i hope they keep till Christmas ;D it's not easy ya know, i kind of have to beat the CROWS to the fresh ones, if they get there first, well, the ammo is ripped to shreds..........MIKE and TRACY, i'll trade ya a couple boxes, been wanting to try some gopher pellets, ain't got any around here. DOUBLE D, will customs let some through??............ after thinking about how much money it cost me to have a ready supply of ammo, well, golf balls are pretty darn cheap ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »
OK, finally, the scores for the 3 mortars Lance & I fired Saturday:

In inches from the target, closest 5 reported.  (Note that 7 were fired from each, but not all 7 were found - perhaps burried inside a pile of road apples, perhaps way past the fence in amoungst the cattle.)

Average: 356.18

average: 184.8

Average: 274.4

Of note was the amount of variability.  One mortar shot on-line every shot.  The other two mortars while identical, had a normal dispersion.  Can you tell which was which by the numbers?  I can't.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:38 PM »
Tim, since you are a city kid, i know it's hard to find the right ammo and wads.

On the contrary, they get delivered almost daily to my front yard by neighbors walking their dogs.  Such service! 

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2007, 03:50:16 PM »
Tim, i did hop the fence today!!! found 8 balls, 2 mine, 6 yours........... i'll hose them down for you. ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
Back from the prairie, we aren't golf ball mortar newbies any more!  We experienced the same huge variation in range that others have written about.  Our Mallet's mortar junior GB mortar worked very well; no problems with it, just standard learning curves issues, that's all.  We fired 7 shot for practice and 7 for record.  For once the wind was nil; no excuses due to wind.  Darn! 

We tried 15 grains of FFFg first with 45 degrees elevation.  The ball went 40 Yards over!  We tried 11 grains next; only 15 yards over.  9.4 grains was next for two shots.  We had 4 yards over and 9 yards under.  A thin paper patch with 9.4 grains yielded 30 yards over!  We tried 60 degrees next and found more consistent results with a 9.4 grain scoops slightly rounded.  We stuck with that and got the following; 

SHOT No.             Distance from Dowel           Vector from     Tube Angle            Charge
                                                                  Dowel

1.                        4' 9"                                 9 o'clock        60 deg.                  9.4 gr.
2.                       10' 5"                                2  "               ''     "                       "
3.                       20' 3"                                6  "               "     "                       "
4.                       46' 2"                              12  "               "     "                       "
5.                       15' 4"                                6  "               "     "                       "
6.                        8' 9"                                 1  "               "     "                       "
7.                      65' 7"                                 1  "               "     "                       "

Aggregate minus shot #s 4 and 7. is (59'  6") or 714 inches.

Well, we sure did have fun, even if we didn't place all the balls into one gofer hole. ;) ;)

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
 Thanks for the Kewpie Doll award, DD!  We sure appreciate that.
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
I thought you guys would never spot it. 

The Kewpie award has been popping in for about a week now. I will post more about it in the appropriate topic.