Author Topic: I've found a good Handi Scope - Don't laugh at me please.  (Read 2479 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I've found a good Handi Scope - Don't laugh at me please.
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »
 ;D :D ???
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »
I just noticed GBO sponsor SWFA sells Barska scopes. ;)

Tim

http://www.swfa.com/c-764-barska-rifle-scopes.aspx

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
You guys have talked me into trying one. I may put it on my 47-70 handi and give it a workout if it has enough eye relief.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
I know the differences between cheap scopes and expensive scope. When I chose a scope for my main deer rifle I did a simple comparison by looking into a heavily shaded patch a block away. The expensive Redfield showed everything clearly. The $120 Bushnell did not. I bought the Redfield.

Now I play with a lot of barrels, both Handi and Contender. Most of these are for shooting paper in bright sunlight. The others have expensive scopes. If I save bucks on a scope, I can spend it on more barrels.

When it is important, buy the best you can afford. When it is not, you can experiment. As I said in my previous post, sometimes you make out, sometimes you get burned. I can get burned quite a few times for the cost of some of the expensive scopes.

JMHO,
mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 07:57:23 AM »
I wanted to test the Barska scope for reliability as far as how well it's sealed, put it in the freezer for a couple days( I forgot about it!!), then immersed it in lukewarm water, immediately got a slow stream of bubbles coming from the ocular lens and it fogged up on the inside so much I can't see thru it any more, so much for reliability  ::), it's going back to em, and it's definitely not a good buy if it's not reliable, having a scope fog on ya on a hunt can ruin your day, or week!! >:(

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »
I know the differences between cheap scopes and expensive scope. When I chose a scope for my main deer rifle I did a simple comparison by looking into a heavily shaded patch a block away. The expensive Redfield showed everything clearly. The $120 Bushnell did not. I bought the Redfield.

Now I play with a lot of barrels, both Handi and Contender. Most of these are for shooting paper in bright sunlight. The others have expensive scopes. If I save bucks on a scope, I can spend it on more barrels.

When it is important, buy the best you can afford. When it is not, you can experiment. As I said in my previous post, sometimes you make out, sometimes you get burned. I can get burned quite a few times for the cost of some of the expensive scopes.

JMHO,
mike

The only timed I have been burned on buying scopes is on the cheap ones...What folks have to realize is it sometimes pays to wait till you can afford to buy a better grade scope than wasting time...or wind up having a ruined hunt...I know full well what it is like not to be able to fork out $300 a pop or more on good optics...but...to me...your better off in the long run to either wait till you can...or buy a decent good used scope to begin with...Even if it is faulty...you will at least get a better scope when it is returned to you from being repaired...other wise...you will still be getting a cheap scope back...and if you test it prior to going on a hunt...just as Quick did...and as everyone should...then you will know...and can make arraignments ahead of time.FWIW...I have a VX-1 Leupold 4x12x40...that I switch between 4 different rifles...That's right...the friction ring type VX-1...It is in a set of Leupold QRW rings...While folks don't believe this can be done easily...rest assured it can...I have where the scope is zeroed written down...and I can return the scope to within 1/2" of it's original setting for each rifle 99.8 % of the time...This saves me a tremendous amount of money...I don't hunt with all of my rifles at once...why in the heck do I want to have a ton of money sitting on each rifle and not getting used all the time...? I'll take 1 good scope in a set of great rings to a bakers dozen cheap scopes...any day ...With all of the barrels & rifles you guys have...it just doesn't make since to do it otherwise...at least from my perspective...Your scope choice isn't limited to just Leupold's to do this either...but...I have had a ton of different scopes...and so-far only the Leupold's have given me this much repeatability/reliability over this long a period...If the new Nikon Buck Marks do as well for the long haul...they will be a high second on my list of good scopes...Just something to think about and take into account...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...