Author Topic: I've found a good Handi Scope - Don't laugh at me please.  (Read 2480 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
I've found a good Handi Scope - Don't laugh at me please.
« on: August 07, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
It's the Barska Huntmaster 3-9x50.
This scope is clear as a bell and has easy to use adjustments, from the turrets to the magnification adjustment ring. The 50mm bell really draws in the light too. I have compared it to my Japanese Bushnells and Tascos, also my older model Simmons Aetecs. It's as bright and clear, if not more so, than all of them. The crosshairs are thinner than the Bushnells also. Got one on a 30-30 Handi and one on a Savage/Sprinfield 840 30-30. Niether have lost zero. In the Leuplod Rifleman #55870 high rings there is plenty of objective bell and hammer clearance. I still have yet to ever use a hammer extension on any of my Handis and they all have the #55870 rings on them.
There are a couple of places on the web now that offer these scopes for $44.94 w/free shipping. Just do a Google search and they'll come up. Here's one..........
http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bk-rs-ac10034.html
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
Re: I've found a good Handi Scope - Don't laugh at me please.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »
i wont laugh t you. i personally have konus scopes on most of my rifles. and the others are getting them. if a lower price scope (note i didnt say cheap) has has clear, crisp optics, use them. i have had no problems with any of them. i cant say the same for any of my bushnell, leupold, or simmons scopes. maybe its time the high priced guys get a gut check.

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:51:24 PM »
I have a Barska Euro pro 3X12X50 illuminated dot on my Remington 7600 270 win. & I love it, it clear & pulls in the light good.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
I have a fixed 4X Barska on my 30 Carbine Handi, it is clear and holds zero well, nothing would work any better.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
barska's are fine scopes, i have 3 of them myself and for the money they work just fine.. i have bushnell sportsman that i wished was as clear as my barska's are....
glenn

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
Hard to beat a $50 scope that works great.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
I like to try cheap optics. I have some of the high buck ones, and I have a lot of cheapies.  I tried a Bariska on my .204 Handi and it works great. Mil dot reticule and 6x24 for under $60.

Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you get burned.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 07:30:45 PM »

OK

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 01:15:26 AM »
I've had a Barska  on my ultra 223 for 2 yrs now and it has always worked just fine. I bought it thru Sportsmens Guide with the rings , lens caps , and sunshade included for under 50 bucks. You can't beat a deal like that.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:42:04 AM »
I tried a Bariska on my .204 Handi and it works great. Mil dot reticule and 6x24 for under $60.

Glad for that report. I've been eyeballin' one of these myself. Have ya had it out for any long range prairie dogs or groundhogs? I'm wondering how "heavy" the mil-dots are.
Flint - I got my first one through Sportsman's Guide. Didn't get the one you did, but the 3-9x50 was $37.45 to my door. No rings though.
I took mine out at daybreak this morning to see exactly how much light enhancing it would do in the twilight. Came through like a champ.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »
Have you guys ever had a problem with these ( less expensive) scopes  fogging up on ya. That is the only thing that scares me.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 02:12:24 AM »
Bushnell's and BSA are all I've used with no reason to switch.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline 8point

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 02:20:35 AM »
just took my barska 50 mm off my muzzleloader and will be putting it on my 444 handi!

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »
My .17HMR wears a Barska 4-16x50AO Varmint.   Same Sportsman's Guide deal......   I think it was around $60 to my door with flip caps, a 4" sun shade and rings.   Although, the rings are shoot thru's and are way too high to be used on anything I have.    I prefer to get that front bell right on the barrel.   And, other than the "BARSKA" sticker falling off the side of the scope,  I haven't had a single problem with it on the range or in the field. 

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:28 AM »
The great things are : you are happy with the scope; it is serving you well; if you find some limitations to it and wiegh out the alleged differences that a more expensive scope is supposed to provide and test a friends and find that you need something else, then you can get something else.  Many of us will never see the need for an expensive scope or the differences between the choices out there. many of us would not spend the extra money for the little bit of difference the few times we could see it.
enjoy your gun and scope.
leaves a lot more money for shooting....yeah ! shooting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
excuse me while I lapse off into thoughts of shooting for a while.
dk

Offline 8point

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 04:42:24 AM »
can you use the base that comes on the 444 handi if you use the leupold 55870 rings?

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 05:47:40 AM »
The Barska I have is a 3-12 airgun with a mil-dot on my 10/22 for two years it has been flawless.

As for pricey glass a buddy sprung this year for a 6.5-20 leopold with the varmint redicle at high power and long range you could really tell the difference when compared to my half decent Chinese no-name. When I finally spring for a high end varmint rig it will have good glass.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 05:48:18 AM »
I use cheap scopes Simmons 3x9-40, Bushnell 4x30, Tasco 4x12-40.
No problem yet.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 06:19:32 AM »
can you use the base that comes on the 444 handi if you use the leupold 55870 rings?

The H&R scope base uses Weaver style rings, which the Leupold Rifleman rings are. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 8point

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 06:45:34 AM »
thanks for your help!!!! ;D

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Everyone has developed their own preferences for rings where the Handis are concerned. I learned about the #55870 Riflemans early on from Mac11700 and have never used anything else on Handi Rifles. They are solidly built form aircraft aluminum, wider than say a Burris or even the turn in style by Leupold, nice two piece top and bottom setup with four locking screws on each ring, very easy to use.
PLUS......they are usually only about $17 a pair at Wal-Mart.
Yes they are the standard weaver style rings and fit on any H&R scope rail, or any weaver type rail for that matter.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
burntmuch...yes i have...i by no mean's want to disrupt like2hunt's thread he found a inexpensive scope that seem's to work for him...i have found the exact opposite...i'm completely finished with cheap scope's...can i afford high end optic's ?? nope...i will buy the best i can afford nowaday's that's usually a $200.00 dollar scope...i consider that a minimum...i get in situation's where i discuss optic's with co-worker's & such...i have found most fella's that are  heck bent on inexpensive scope's will argue there point till the bitter end...so i disengage the conversation...trust me in the long run...shooting consistantly...checking group's..checking p.o.i. on & on...you will probably find fogging issue's...shifting p.o.i...adjustment's that really don't work the way you wan't them to...mr lik2hunt i'm not laughing at you sir...i also have no intention of flaming anyone who doesn't agree...i only comment because other's have expressed their thought's on inexpensive optic's...i have now expressed mine !!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 04:02:55 AM »
I have a few older inexpensive scopes that are pretty fair, but have  bought a few online that were totally crap.
Except for a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4 that was around $80, I buy in the $150-250 range which I consider a cheap scope range. Come to think of it my other scopes are also Bushnells - Elite 3200 and  Legend.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 05:42:17 AM »
I would like to find a Bushnell Scope Chief, Had 3 of them but wanted a better scope. Big mistake ! They were great. I especially liked the 2x8x32 very short fit fine on my lever guns.  I recently bought two Bushnell dusk to dawn 1.5x4,5  The first went on my .45-70 handi works great, zeroed with 3 shots and it hasn't moved yet. The second I have doubts about, I put it on a .308 and couldn't get it to move correctly or hold zero. But, I haven't give it a fair test yet. When the heat breaks I will test it again.

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
I have never tried the Barska scope but I think I will have to try one. It seems that they have a good record of quality.  Thanks for the link.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
I have to admit, the Barska does have a good internet reputation, there have been many great reports at RFC on them used on rimfires, as well as those mentioned here, so I bought one just to check out. I need a new scope for one of my airguns, an RWS46 Stutzen,  so I bought the 3-12x40AO model for $55, can't beat the price if it works good. Got it today, it has excellent eye relief at 4.2" on 3x, but decreases to just 3.2" on 12x, so it wouldn't be real good for a heavy kicker on 12x, but somewhere in the middle power would work fine on a big game rifle....if it will stand centerfire recoil, that's why I chose the airgun model that's made for airgun recoil which can destroy a scope if it's not made for them. I'll mount it on a centerfire rifle and give it a test. The view thru it is very bright and clear, although it does have the smaller view with the thick "halo" around the view that is typical of less expensive optics. But it has a small power ring that makes it Handi friendly for hammer clearance, the power ring and AO work smooth and the turret adjustments are finger adjustable and have crisp, audible clicks. The reticle was almost centered, much more so than many much more expensive scopes that I've bought. Fit and finish are also good, much better than I expected for a scope as inexpensive as this.

More later,

Tim

http://www.barska.com/AC10008.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 01:47:24 AM »
IL've been looking at the Barska too.  If it works, good should be a dandy for a Handi .30-30.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 01:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the detailed report Tim. I'm pretty impressed with mine so far. I'll know a LOT more about them by Jan. 1 though. They will have been put to the test by then.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 11:16:48 AM »
This is me not laughing.  ::) ??? :'( 8) :( :o ;D ;) :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!