Author Topic: BC's for Federal Fusion ammo  (Read 4792 times)

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
BC's for Federal Fusion ammo
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:00:05 AM »
Anyone have the ballistic coefficients for the Fusion ammunition? 

Everywhere I look it says "superior" or "higher" when describing them.......but I have yet to locate some actual numbers.

I'm looking for two specifically.....   .243 Win., 95 gr. and .308 Win., 150 gr.   

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: BC's for Federal Fusion ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »
Here's a ballistics table from the FUSION website that might help you out:
http://www.fusionammo.com/FusionBallistics.html
 WARNING:
If you have a slow dialup connection like I do, this site may take a while to load...

Bill

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »
Here's a ballistics table from the FUSION website that might help you out:
http://www.fusionammo.com/FusionBallistics.html
 WARNING:
If you have a slow dialup connection like I do, this site may take a while to load...

Bill

Thanks for the link, but that was the very FIRST place I looked.   And the BC's are not there.   

I've got an email in to the contact on that site.    We'll see if I get anything back.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »
BCs are VERY deceiving. There is no precise repeatable way to measure it like using a caliper or mic to measure a bullet. It's based on the sectional density and a form factor. The problem is that "form factor" isn't a real number that can be fixed with any precision.

If the nose gets slightly damaged it changes, if the shape changes and it does from bullet to bullet in the same box it changes the BC. And to make things worse BC is right ONLY at one given velocity and distance and changes as that velocity and distance changes. So the numbers given by bullet makers for BC is mostly BS.

Then too it makes darn little difference in the real world unless the BC number changes by a lot. In other words the difference between a BC of .3 and one of .4 is really not much even tho much is made over it. As long as the BC is above .3 you gain darn little going higher and only at extreme distances at which few have any real business shooting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
I cant speak for the BC's on the Fusion ammo but I can speak from the last three years using them in my 243. They are AWESOME! Best deer round I have ever used period. I also got exits on every whitetail I have taken with them as well. Like that makes a hill of beans ::) I have never lost a deer with them and the deer have never went over 20 feet or so. I will never enter the woods with my Handi 243 without the Fusion.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »
BCs are VERY deceiving. There is no precise repeatable way to measure it like using a caliper or mic to measure a bullet. It's based on the sectional density and a form factor. The problem is that "form factor" isn't a real number that can be fixed with any precision.

If the nose gets slightly damaged it changes, if the shape changes and it does from bullet to bullet in the same box it changes the BC. And to make things worse BC is right ONLY at one given velocity and distance and changes as that velocity and distance changes. So the numbers given by bullet makers for BC is mostly BS.

Then too it makes darn little difference in the real world unless the BC number changes by a lot. In other words the difference between a BC of .3 and one of .4 is really not much even tho much is made over it. As long as the BC is above .3 you gain darn little going higher and only at extreme distances at which few have any real business shooting.

All of that is true.  The BC is an approximate given by the factory. Most bullet companies give a number & that's it, Sierra being a Target bullet company at heart will give BC's at varying velocities. If there is any yaw whatsoever, the actual BC will be lower, as it is not flying 100% true. To have a totally accurate assigned BC,
you must test the drop by actual shooting with your gun & of course you must accurately measure the velocity at the same time. This is why many times the BC figured this way can be a good bit lower than the bullet people say & every once in a while it will show to be higher. But the drop varies with altitude as well, don't expect a rifle which was sighted in on the Gulf Coast to be dead on when you hunt on the Cont. Divide.

Remember also that BC has alot to do with wind drift & a high BC bullet can be more important for that reason than for trajectory, which is easier to plot.

Like GB said, at average Deer hunting distance it is usually not very important. I have seen some folks comment that they won't be shooting over 250 yards & in the next breath they are hung up on BC. No need to under those conditions with a reasonable bullet.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:14:48 AM »
Well, I'm looking at maybe doing some longer range stuff on chucks and, especially, coyotes and figured if the heavier bullet is going to buck the wind better, I'd stick with the 95 grain .243 WIN round as an 'all around' kind of thing....since they shoot well out of my rifle.

That being said, and everything above....   here are the numbers I got from ATK:

95 grain, .243 Winchester = .376

150 grain, .308 Winchester = .414

Is it wise to use something like this ballistics table with these numbers as a guide?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 08:33:01 AM »
Well, I'm looking at maybe doing some longer range stuff on chucks and, especially, coyotes and figured if the heavier bullet is going to buck the wind better, I'd stick with the 95 grain .243 WIN round as an 'all around' kind of thing....since they shoot well out of my rifle.

That being said, and everything above....   here are the numbers I got from ATK:

Is it wise to use something like this ballistics table with these numbers as a guide?

I prefer Point Blank...it's real easy to use and is packed with some good additional programs...and it's free too...

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Thanks for posting the BC's of them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »

Did you call someone, or is there a site for these Fushion BC's . I would like to check the 130gr. 270 bullet.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.