Author Topic: Newby Question?  (Read 549 times)

Offline HickoryNut

• Trade Count: (0)
Newby Question?
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
Hey Folks

I'm glad I found this board and think the whole board is awesome.  Lots of good information an just about anything you need to know.

My question is this:  Is there a .308 Bull Bbl for the handi rifle.  I thought I had seen on somewhere but can't find anything now.  I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these soon.  I love single shots having shot  single .22s and shotguns all my life.  Are there any accuracy quirks with the .308?  I've read of glitches with some of the other calibers.  Other than the purty stock are there any other differences in the Ultra hunter over the standard rifle?
Thanks for any answers and I look foward to visiting this board often.

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Newby Question?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! There is, but it's only available in the Survivor or as an accessory barrel. The 308 bull barrel is a good shooter, I have one in camo laminated stocks, it's one of my favorites. ;)

Ultras have longer barrels in some models, and usually are bull barrels except the Hunters, basically they're the same cept for the stock. Ultras used to have nicer finished on the barrels, but that's no longer true. Ultras have Harrington & Richardson on the frame, Handis have New England Firearms on them.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.aspx

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
So what I need to do is get the .223 for me and my son to play with and then get the .308 bull bbl later right?

Hey a new question.  How does the 45/70 recoil in a handi compare to a Marlin guide gun or a 12ga shotgun with heavy loads?
Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »
With heavy loads, the Handi will hurt more, it's lighter than a guide gun unless you put some weight in the stock, although I'm told the 1895 doesn't have a very good recoil pad, the Handi is better, but the Limbsaver will take care of that issue. Hot Marlin loads, 300gr at 2400fps, have about the same recoil as the 375H&H, about 35lbs recoil, a 3½" 12ga 2oz turkey load in an 8lb shotgun has about twice that recoil for comparison.

Be sure to read the FAQs, most, if not all your questions have been asked before and the answers are there. ;)

Tim

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks I'll goto the faqs section.  I really like that 45/70 do at the gun shop.  May have to have that one instead.  I like cannons like my Mossberg 835 and the recoil is just a thing that happens after you squeeeeeeeeze the trigger.

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:04:20 PM »
One of my first H&Rs was the 25-06 and the 45-70 was next, now I have 3 45-70 H&Rs, 2 Handis and a BC, plus a 45-120 BC, great to have, the 45-70 Handi or BC is one of the most popular of all H&R chamberings, a must have, if you will!!

I have an 835 as well, great turkey gun, but the recoil is stout, I won't pattern it from the bench with 3½" loads, they're brutal, I use a standing bipod, works great!! But when shooting toms, I never feel the recoil!! ;D

Tim

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
I learned really quick to start pattering mine with field loads and then switch to the heavy stuff.  I tamed mine down with a Sims pad and a pad on the top of the stock as well since I was getting my check beat up. Any who I love my 835 even though I haven't shot a Turkey with it yet.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »
Yeah, I learned about the Limbsavers long ago, mine had one before I even shot it!! :D Patterning lighter loads doesn't tell you what the heavier loads will do, you still have to shoot each load to know what it's doing, I've got a fortune in $$$ in turkey loads and different chokes invested in mine, ended up with Rem 3½" #6 Hevi-shot and the MAD Super Max tube, it kills way out there if you need it, longest so far has been 60+ yds. The new Federal Flight-Control #6 lead is a close second.

Tim

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 04:49:34 AM »
I used the light loads to sight in the rifle as it shot to the left and the light loads sure help that.  The heavier stuff shot the same.  I ended up shooting the Rem Nitro 3 1/2 #5's great patterns out to 40yds.  Anything closer was just disintegrated into nothing at all.  I'm gonna starting playing with chokes before next season.  Did you try your MAD choke with any cheaper loads?

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 05:38:25 AM »
Yeah, tried it with all the stuff that I had bought before I tried the Hevi-shot, but the Flite-Control just came out a couple years ago, it's my next load since Hevi-shot is getting too expensive. :-X

Tim

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:10 PM »
Yep way too expensive.  I not going to pay two to three bucks a shell.  I guess I'm just cheap.  I just get closer.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
HickoryNut, are you by chance from north carolina? i used to hunt the hickory nut game lands. your handle brought back many good memories.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline HickoryNut

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:44:43 PM »
Nope Greg, I'm in Ft. Payne Alabama.  I got that name from building selfbows out of Hickory.  I'm just nutty that way.  It's just my favorite wood to build a bow from.