Author Topic: new handi rifle  (Read 775 times)

Offline Doug K.A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new handi rifle
« on: August 10, 2007, 02:04:14 PM »
hello everyone, I'm new and this is my first post besides my test post. I have been wanting a NEF handi rifle for a while. I was looking at the 270, 25-06, 7mm-08, and the 308. I was mostly interested in the 25-06. I am open to any suggestions. If you have one could you pleases tell me how it shoots and what caliber it is. Is it hard to get a handi rifle to shoot good?   I am open to ANY suggestions.   thanks in advance. and o ya this is the best rifle forum i've ever looked at and everybody seems nice.  thanks again!!   (the rifle would be mostly for deer hunting)
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: new handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
Hi Christopher, welcome to GBO!! ;) I Have all of those, the 25-06 is probably the most accurate of the bunch with factory ammo, although they all shoot very well, whether factory or handloads. The 25-06 is very popular here for deer hunting as well as some varmint work, so it's pretty much a do all chambering and one that for the most part is consistently accurate.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »
Thanks Quick. I have been looking at alot of the posts and have read alot about you. I don't reload so do you think that the 25-06 would be the best?

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
Hello Christopher.  Welcome.  

I have all but the 25-06.  The .270 was one of those Handi's that shot great out of the box using Winchester Power Point 130's.  I've not shot the '08's, yet.

Glad you stopped by.   :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
Yup, try the Federal 115gr Nosler partition and the Hornady 117gr BTSP, they shoot best in mine. The Winchester Supreme 115gr Ballistic Silvertip is another good factory load to try. ;)

thanks,

Tim

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
I think I have narrowed it down to the 25-06 or the 270 but I'm still not for sure.  I am OPEN to any suggestions. If u have a 25-06 or a 270 handi rifle please let me know how it performed. Does it shoot good with factory ammo? Did you have to do anything to it for it to shoot good? thanks alot in advance. I am really starting to like this place! LOTS of information.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
I have the 25 and 30'06's. Both shoot equally well with my hand loads.

I bought the 25 from a feller that couldn't make it shoot........ Crappy scope and loose mounts where the fault...that and the filthy barrel didn't help any either. I grabbed two boxes of standard Win, white box 120PP ammo and took it to the range. First three shots fell in a cluster you could cover with a nickle.

The 30 was bought from another guy who bought it new. He returned it because it would open upon firing when using the Light Magnum ammo. This was an ultra with a comp on it. A good cleaning and some hand loads filled with 180gr Rn's and 4350 powder and I had a gun that would shoot right at 1" and never opens on its own.

Personally, I have never seen the need for a 270. Never owned one. Nothing wrong with the caliber, it has quite a following, it must be OK.

The 308 is another fine cartridge. I have owned a couple in different guns than handis. One day I'll come across and short stiff survivor barrel and I'll add that to my handi collection as well...

Choose what ever caliber you like, I think its a safe bet you will be more than satisfied with your decision.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »
Here's one of Mac's 25-06 targets, he shot the Win Supreme ammo in his. I can't find one of my targets, but it shoots the first two touching and the 3rd opens the group to about 1", I tried the O-ring and pressure point, but it didn't help that 3rd shot, since it's not a colony round for me shooting P'dogs, that 3rd shot "flyer" is of no concern, it consistently shoots the first two touching or close to it from a cold clean barrel, so I left it that way and I hunt with it just the way it is, tis good enough for me with factory ammo! I have some 115gr CT Ballistic Silvertip handloads made up for it, but have yet to shoot them. ;)

I also have a couple 270 Ultracomps, a 30-06 Ultracomp and a stainless 30-06 and a bull barrel 308 Ultra, they all shoot right at 1" groups consistently with handloads and some factory ammo, that being the Federal Fusion, I have yet to try it in anything that it didn't shoot well in, haven't tried the 25-06 ammo yet tho.

Tim

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
Welcome christopher.

I have a .270 Ultra-Comp and have had good luck with Remington 130 Core-Lokt on blacktail deer.
I don't have any of the other calibers mentioned but I doubt you will find much objection here to any of them.

Hard choice for ya but adding an additional barrel later is always there.

Bill

EDIT: The Remington load mentioned above is a factory load.

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 07:12:06 PM »

Welcome chirstopher.

I have a .270 Ultra-Comp and have had good luck with Remington 130 Core-Lokt on blacktail deer.
I don't have any of the other calibers mentioned but I doubt you will find much objection here to any of them.

Hard choice for ya but adding an additional barrel later is always there.

Bill

Another vote for the 270 ultra and 130gr PP.
Also shoots good with 150gr Hornady.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:38 AM »
Thanks everybody for being so nice and helpful. Do handis shoot good with factory ammo? like i said i do not reload so factory ammo is my only option. Still open to any suggestions. I would also like to know what brand of ammo and what kinda it is. Thanks again!!

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »
Whoever owns a 270 or a 25-06 handi please tell me how it shoots. and if you have one you could also show me a target that you've shot with it. I am really wanting to know how the 270 and 25-06 worked for you so please tell me. I am probably gonna get one i just havent decided on what caliber so please help me decide.    Thanks everybody!

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »
Hi,
 I'am a 280rem 35whelen type of guy . I call them my stalking rifles
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 09:35:29 AM »
I have a .270 in the lil toothpick barrel, it shoots Well with everything I have fed it, the POI varies quite a bit with dif factory stuff, but it will keep them all about an inch without trien real hard. It's my "Go To" gun for walking (Light Barrel / Synthetic) I have Bolt Guns in .270 but the Handi will do all they will inside of 3-400 yards. Great Caliber for anything in North America. Very common Ammo, and accurate.

Even with a light polishing (Needs More) and a BB inthe Ejector spring I get a stuck case now and then with Winchester Factory ammo, But None to date with Rem or Reloads.