Author Topic: I need guideance on getting a climbing tree stand  (Read 1433 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
I need guideance on getting a climbing tree stand
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:15:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,
           I'm not new to deer hunting, but I am new to buying my own tree stand.  I intend to hunt public land and will need to setup my own stand wherever I go.  I am a larger framed guy and weigh in about 240# so lets make sure it's sturdy.  If I'm going to buy something I'd like to get something that would feel good on my back since I'll be there all day.  I just don't know what to look for so any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm reading about the "Summit 180 Max Treestand" on cabelas, but I don't know if those are good or not.

Thanks guys.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: I need guideance on getting a climbing tree stand
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:12:17 AM »
summit makes one for us full figured guys , holds 350 lbs. i think its the Goliath !
if you are 240 add cloths and equipment and comfort to the stand ! tree lounge also has a big one !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
I weigh in about 225 # and hunt from a summit viper extream  and it is great darning the early season but when the weather gets cold and I bundle up it is a little snug but very do able.
I am trying to save up extra money for a summit  Goliath stand for winter hunting

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »
300 here ! the Goliath works great ! so far !

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
I am not a big guy, so I can't help you on that part, but I can give one word of advice.   ALUMINUM!!!!!  Buy something light!  If you don't, you won't use it long!

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »
  Go to www.austinoutdoors.com and check out the SuperMag Extreme.  The telephone number is 704) 542-7215.  This fellow is in Charlotte, North Carolina.  I was at an outdoors exhibit and this stand was there.  It is rated for 375#.  I'm 275# myself and I climbed straight up a steel pole with this thing.  Solid as the rock of Gibraltar. The seat is adjustable to either face the tree or away from it, there is an adjustable back rest and this thing just plain works.  If I had the money to buy one, I'd do it in half a heartbeat but I can't afford it.  Most people can, however.  It's not outrageous by any means, I just have too many bills right now. It's the ONLY tree stand I'd trust because I have some serious back trouble but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to climb with this stand.  No, I don't work for him, either.  I don't even recall his name but I know his stand is top notch.  It used to be marketed under another name but the design belongs to this fellow.  Check it out.       

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »
There are TWO things you need to consider equally when buying a climbing treestand. I find most folks concentrate too heavily on one at the expense of the other and eventually regret their purchase.

You must be aware of the weight of the stand and how it packs and carries to the tree. This is very important as if it's too heavy and/or too uncomfortable to carry you'll stop using it quickly. Been there done that.

BUT equally important is how it sits once in the tree and how easily it attaches and climbs. If it's a PIA to attach, climb or once up there sitting you'll also soon abandon it wishing you'd not bought it.

So don't get too carried away with any one feature to the exclusion of the other. A good stand is one that is light enough to pack the distances you'll travel, has a comfortable carry method that comes with the stand and packs up into a tight bundle that doesn't rattle like crazy when walking. It will be quick and easy to put up and take down, climbing will be an easy sit down stand up drill and once you're in the tree it will be comfortable enough to sit in all day long.

Finding one that does all that is the trick. If you do find one offering all those features to you then buy at least two so when you wear out one you'll have a spare to replace it with as most likely it will be long out of production and you'll not be able to find another then.

Also be aware that what means those criteria for one person might not meet it for you. I constantly see folks recommending stands as the best thing since sliced bread that I am familiar with and wouldn't take if you paid me to. We each have a bit different criteria for what works for us and just because someone else loves a stand does not mean you will.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 02:30:34 AM »
Graybeard , good advice ! but in my case , being a full figured sort of guy the choice was very limited ( 2) climbers that i could find ! i went to a sportsman's show and tried them !

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
SUMMIT VIPER OR GOLIATH

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 06:41:01 AM »
yep ! that's the 2 limited selection !

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 07:19:09 AM »
I know of only two climber stands that weigh in at 14 pounds - the Summit open shot, and the Lone wolf, which I just bought. Limited experience, but thus far I love it. Cost quite a bit more than the others, but I think it is worth it.

If you don't mind toting 20-25 pound stands around, then the options are endless.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »
The way I see it, I'm already carrying 240 around I won't hardly notice another 20lbs.  The ones I have seen just look small to me.  Let's face it, once you put on several layers of clothers I always feel puffed up the same way I did when mom would send me to play in the snow.  There will be a day when I won't be able to run a 7 minute mile and I want to still be able to use the same stand as I get rounder with age.  I'm just going to have to make a special trip to Cabelas and see the stands they have already set up and on display.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:53:38 AM »
I have tried several different climbers and now only will use the Summit Goliath.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
GB nailed it.

Teddy, just tote that 20 pounds for a couple miles in the woods and that 20 pounds will turn into 200 pounds.  Think about your hunting needs.  If you will need to go DEEP in the woods you will want a light backpack stand.

I just don't think there is a PERFECT stand.  That is why I have several.  I think you should get one that is light and one that has more comfort (BIG).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
I know it'll be rough carrying the thing out to the woods, but in my mind the heavier ones will be more comfortable too and make me want to stay out longer.  The lighter ones I've seen have been around 15 pounds so we're only talking about an extra couple pounds.  You do make an excellent point though about weight starting to magnify the longer you carry it.  I remember that from Army ruck marches and it's a good thing to keep in mind.  I need to do more checking into where I'll be hunting, but I doubt it's even a mile, but it could be.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Everyone keeps bringing up good bits of information that are really helping me think through this.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 03:19:53 AM »
here is an ideer get your self a good game cart when you get your stand. then use it to pack your stand in and out and if you get lucky and get a deer you can carry  it out on it as well

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:35:01 AM »
That's really not a bad idea.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »
or a 4wheeler !

Offline rickyp

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 05:29:13 AM »
the 4 wheeler is my first choice but at $5000.00 it  is a Little of my price range. and around me you can not use them on public hunting land and I have no place to store it when it isn't being used. then you have to get a trailer to carry it to and from the hunting land

The game cart goes for around $125.00 and no restrictions on it's use, plus they fold up small enough to fit in the very little extra space in my shard.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
The game carts work quite well IF <GREAT BIG IF> the path to your stand is clean and clear enough to take it thru. I've had one for many years and have used it extensively back when I was still able to hunt the hills of public land around here. But here I sure had to clear my trails well in advance to get it there.

With one you don't worry much about the weight or size of stand but only the comfort of it once you get it up. And as stated it's a lot easier bringing a deer out on one than dragging it out with a rope. For sure a four wheeler if in the budget and legal where you hunt is better but here in Bama on public land that's NOT an option.

If you get a cart make sure you get one with the wheels basically in the middle not way out on one end as some have. If you get one with wheels at the end you're supporting all the weight on it yourself but if the wheels are basically in the middle they support the weight not you. Mine is as perfect as I could ask for it to be other than I wish the tires were solid rubber rather than having tubes as briar sure do play havoc with those tubes. Yes that's the voice of experience speaking.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »
rickyp, the 4wheeler is ok but if you drive in i think you push the smart ( big ) deer out , so  i end up walking back to get it if if i get lucky ! so i still carry stand one way !
as far as weight , people trade guns to save 1/2 a pound ! my choice was limited due to my weight !

Offline rickyp

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:39 AM »
I do now have a private farm  my friend and I hunt on, He does have a 4 wheeler and I use it all the time. most of the time it is left on my trailer  and hooked to my truck during hunting season. I will say it is the best thing for hunting

My stand is the summit viper extream 2000 model.  during hunting season I leave my stand in the woods locked to the tree with a heavy stainless steel wire rope and a harden lock. My fried also leaves his viper and Goliath in the woods but he uses a super heavy chain with the same lock I use all are keyed a like so he or I could hunt from or retrieve any stand. His chain is as heavy as his stand. We don't worry about weight that much.

He and I use his 4 wheeler to take the stand in and pick them up and to retrieve a downed deer. We also use it for scouting, clearing trails and patrolling the farm.
I have gotten with in a few feet of deer while on it the deer are use to the sound of it and we do not drive like idiots. We drive slowly and as quiet as we can. A 4 wheeler is like anything else on a farm deer become use to it and pay no attention to it as long as you do not do something out of the ordinary with it.

I want to get a good game cart for when I hunt on public land or when I can't get the 4 wheeler.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 03:39:04 PM »
If you want a suggestion look at Loggy Bayou.  I have used these stands for over 20 years now.  These are the only stand I would carry into the woods.  17 pounds will put you in a nice stand.  I do not hunt with a bar in front of me.  I am a bow hunter and I DO NOT WANT and bar around me and these stands are great.  Summit would be my second choice but I would really think about what YOU need and go from that point on.  Good luck and hunt hard!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
I'm a gun hunter.  I really like the bar but I almost wonder if it makes it unfair because if I get a chance to rest my rifle I probably won't miss.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »
Well,
       I was getting close to buying one, and my cousin wouldn't hear of it.  He has one that he won't be using this year and said I should borrow his first before buying one.  So that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
nice cousin !

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 08:10:59 AM »
Oh yeah, he's a keeper.

Offline lakestatebob

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »
I bought a lone wolf sit and climb this year after much research.  quietness and ease of carry were very impt. to me.  This stand is amazingly quiet and carries very easy - no noise when branches rub against the stand on your trip in.  But, if I was to choose on comfort as my highest priority it would have been a summit - very comfortable seat - but I can easily sit in my sit and climb for hours.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 09:18:46 AM »
*Update*

When I started this topic some time ago I was within a hair of going out and buying a climber.  Now, I am so glad that I never did!  I took my cousins climber out a couple times and it seemed like any place that would have been a good spot to setup didn't have a tree that the thing would work on.  If I was lucky enough to find a good spot the best tree I could find would be at odd angle and wouldn't allow for a good shot. 

If I had an exact place where I knew it would be a good spot for a climber then I'd think about it, but I don't think too much of them now.  I ended up getting one of those pop up ground blinds for about $65 and I can set that up anywhere anytime.  I take the pop up and one of those $5 folding chairs that everyone probably has and I've seen deer with that setup.  Those two things together don't weigh anything either.