Author Topic: Peep sights ???  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Peep sights ???
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:18:34 AM »
Well I'm sure this horse has been beat before and I've read a few threads on the subject. But just for laughs I like to hear from folks on the good, bad and ugly's of the peep's sights ya tried on ya handi's.
 I'm not into the firesights. I'm old school style and I've still got pretty decent eye sight for a 40 year old.
 What's worked for ya and what didn't is what I'd like to hear. Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: Peep sights ???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:20:29 AM »
I've used the Williams sights since the early 1960s, with a blade type front sight.  This combination has worked great and simulates the military sight picture (I learned to shoot with the M1).  The original "ghost ring" was removing the screw-in aperture and many people use that for hunting applications.  I keep the aperture in place.  For sighting in I use the smallest one to get a fine sight picture, then swap it out to the medium aperture for hunting.

Several thoughts:  The Foolproof with target knobs is spendy, but it is real nice if you are using different loads.  If you keep track of the click adjustments when you sight in for the different points of impact, you can just dial in the correct sight setting for the load you are using.  The regular Foolproof also has click adjustments which is very nice.  The 5D (which cost 5 dollars when it came out, hence the name) and the WGRS have slide adjustments which aren't as precise as the screw adjustments of the Foolproof.  If you are sticking to one load they are okay, and of course the WGRS is less obtrusive than the others.

As far as the blade front sight goes, I have mostly used the "Sourdough Patridge" type.  They used to be made by Redfield, then by Burris, and the last I bought were made by Marble's.  They are a flat blade with the back portion cut at an angle and gold filled.  However, my eyes have gotten to the point that the gold becomes a glaring blob in the sun so now I buy plain blade sights for muzzleloaders from Track of the Wolf.  That is easier also that I don't have to calculate height.  I just buy the tallest one and file it down so my POI is where I want it at 100 yards, with the rear sight in the middle of its adjusting range.

Hope this helps!
-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:16:01 AM »
Thanks for your info. Wasn't sure about replacing the front sight because it's not dovetailed. Most of the one's I've seen for sale are dovetailed and I haven't seen any direct replacement one's. My handi is in 45/70. Reckon the tallest one I can find is the way to go?

Andrew
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:18:43 AM »
What about the Warren One Hole sights??
Andrew

Offline pagris

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »
Andrew Quigley: In the last month I have installed a WGRS Receiver Sight and a higher front sight on my .243 Superlight barrel.  I had always wanted to try a peep sight and thought the Handi would make a good test mule.  The WGRS sight is a steal through H&R customer service at $18 (versus $35 at midwayusa.com).  I unscrewed the front sight from the Superlight and installed a Williams Shorty Ramp in its place, which is a direct screw-on installation:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=146357

This ramp is available is a few different heights and this one is the tallest, for, as you suggested, you have to go pretty tall when using the WGRS sight.  You can then install any dovetailed sight onto the ramp that you desire - I went with the Fireside model, but there are lots of options.  Just make sure the widths of the ramp and sight match up.  The Williams catalog has instructions on how to determine the proper height you will ultimately need for your ramp/sight combination.  I needed the 3/8" ramp plus a .450" blade for mine.

I have shot about 100 rounds through the rifle so far with this set-up.  I will say that my 50 year-old eyes can not focus on the front bead - it is pretty fuzzy.  The short length of my barrel (20") doesn't help here - a longer barrel would place the bead farther from my eye and improve its focus.  The other issue is that the receiver sight, which mounts in the rear-most scope base screw, is still quite a ways forward of my shooting eye - rifles that permit the peep sight to be mounted closer to ones eye are better suited for peep sites.

That being said, I did manage to shoot a 4" 10 shot group with mine at 50 yards today and I have one target from 25 yards where all 5 shots are touching.  The fuzziness of the front bead will always be an issue for me and I have to admit that it was a revelation to look through a scoped rifle after shooting the Handi.  But the Handi sure is sweet to carry without a scope.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
The FAQs has a link called Peep and Firesights, it has a lot of the info you need to install peep sights on an H&R including links to Williams and their catalog info and ramp info.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:19:53 AM »
Thanks Pagris! That was very helpful info.

I had read the FAQ but must have missed that one. Will go back and take a look. Thanks

Andrew
Andrew

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
I put a Williams FP ( purchased from NEF @ 59.95) and also ordered the high factory sight for my 45-70 Handi.This combination has worked very well for me. With the rear sight bottomed out I'm dead on at 100yds with "trapdoor loads" and I've got a lot of adjustment for hotter loads. NEF makes three different heights for their factory sights, low, medium and high. I personally don't care for the firesights, I can't draw a fine bead and shoot decent groups..., but that's just me. Good luck.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »
I'm not into the fire sights either. Have a 1874 Sharps with a tang sight and globe front sight. I really like this type setup. With a rear peep and a globe front I think I'll be set.

Andrew
Andrew

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »
this is my set up,i think that it is one of the best set ups to put on an h&r as the rear sight is on the barrel.
bernie :)

if its feral its in peril

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »
That's a sharp looking rifle and sight combo!! Saw your post with the pics and really admire it. Which way to go :-\
Andrew