Author Topic: model 12 info needed  (Read 788 times)

Offline uawelder

• Trade Count: (0)
model 12 info needed
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:31 AM »
My father has a model 12 dated 1916 manuf.  serial # 1336xx. he is looking to find out what was the original forearm like on this gun.
right now it has an 11.5" checkered walnut forearm with walnut butstock w/ red rubber recoil pad. barrel is plain with single brass bead, stamped
mod fgm. someone told him that he needed the shorter forearm with the grooves cut in and a black recoil pad. any truth to this, what do you guys
think. Thanks in advance for any help that you can be.

Lee

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
Re: model 12 info needed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »
I put up to 5,000 rounds a year through Model 12 trap guns but have never studied the history of the model.  If you do not receive  satisfactory information here you should try www.trapshooters.com as there are many Model 12 historians that use that website.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »
I cannot quote the specifics but I seem to remember that the shorter "corncob" forearms were used in the early years.  As for the recoil pad, I think it was universally the black hard buttplate on those 2 3/4" guns... I could be wrong though.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:53:11 AM »
I have a Mod 12 16 ga.  A problem that I have is when you shoot holding the gun vertically the spent shell will not eject.  It just sits on bolt face.  Horizontal ejection seems  Ok.  I think it has to be the ejector; however, it puzzles me that it will eject when held horizontally.  Maybe the shell is only falling out when held horizontally.

Offline RBishop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:10:58 AM »
Isn't your shotgun stamped "Model 1912", rather than Model 12? The early Model 12s were in fact Model 1912s. Your gun appears to be an early ones made with the "good" steel. I have one too. Mine is a 16 ga. with a "corncob" forearm and black plastic buttplate. Some of the early guns had a smooth "trap" style forearm. Look for the the book by Dave Riffle. It has all you will ever need to know about the Model 12.