Author Topic: Dictator line drawing  (Read 544 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
Dictator line drawing
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:56:50 PM »
Looking fore a line drawing of a Dictator Siege mortar. Side profile only, just want to make it look proportioned right. I’ve put my large cannon on hold tell the right design sparks my eye. Was at the local machine shop and spotted a nice piece of steel 16” long and 5.25” thick with a 2.75”hole bored in it. Turned out to be a drop from a job he just finished 4140 heat treated and normalized he said it would have a yield strength of 100,000 psi or more. Cost me a nice crisp 20 dollar bill. I even carried it out to the truck for him. 

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Dictator line drawing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:06:01 PM »
I suggest you find a piece of the same material that you can use for a threaded breech plug as welding on 4140 is not a simple process.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:38:33 AM »
I have a piece 6" long and 3.25 round of 4041 that I will use fore the breach plug and powder chamber. I'm filmier with welding 4140 preheat 500-600 deg. and most important use 11018 rods and weld it hot!! then air cool. Unfortunately this piece will max out the lathe I normally use, will have to rent out some lathe time.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »
http://www.cwartillery.org/ve/mortar.html       Here's a site with a side view of a  Dictator.