Author Topic: Muzzleloader cleaning regiments  (Read 1047 times)

Offline FrankD

• Trade Count: (0)
Muzzleloader cleaning regiments
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:47:42 AM »
Hi all.  I'm new here, as well as to muzzleloading.  I got a CVA Optima Elite about a week ago and have cleaned it, per the manual.  However, talking with friends/co-workers/etc., they say that is not enough for cleaning a ML.  Outside of the manual's recommendations, what would you suggest or recommend as far as the cleaning of my ML goes?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Muzzleloader cleaning regiments
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:23:49 AM »
Welcome to GBO, Frank!! On my inlines, I remove the breech plug and run hot water thru the bore, use a nylon brush on it a few strokes, more hot water, then wipe it dry with patches, then apply Bore Butter. Be sure to use a brush on the breech plug threads too while you're cleaning the bore. I wrap the breech plug with teflon tape before reinstalling it.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,39309.msg223146.html#msg223146

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,100577.msg1098265813.html#msg1098265813

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,89632.msg544172.html#msg544172
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
HOT water and patches. Works on my side lock and inline. Apply a little something after clean to prevent rust and that's it.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »
I like cold water to clean followed by WD-40 (the bulk 1 gallon can type not the aerosol can variety) to displace the water in traditional ML's. However in my Optima I do the following, Wet a patch with Butches Bore Shine, run down the barrel with the breech plug in several times, repeat, let sit for 15 minutes, run dry patches down bore till basically clean, pull breech plug, finish running wet or dry patches down barrel until spotless, clean threads with bristle brush, oil bore, scrub breech plug INSIDE and out with nipple pick and old toothbrush and pipe cleaners and Butches, put new never sieze on threads re-install plug, wipe down all metal surfaces, done. I don't like to pull plug immediately because it's really hard to get all the fouling out of the threads that always seems to get in there otherwise. Just my two cents.

Offline FrankD

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »
I was warned about using WD40 due to it shellacking (sp?) the interior of the barrel.  However, this was told to me as heard from a "friend of a friend".

I will try the HOT water option tonight.  I really just want to play with it some more.  ;D 

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »
I really don't know where these rumors start. WD-40 does not 'shellac' anything. Try it out on a piece of steel and see for your self. Then again I do use the BULK 1 GALLON variety not the crap they sell in the aerosol cans. The aerosol variety is not as oily in my opinion. I do suppose however if you 'hose' down the inside of the barrel and then fire multiple rounds through it to get the barrel hot without first running a dry patch down the bore then it's possible I guess. However it's poor practice to fire a gun with an oily barrel!

Offline FrankD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:49 AM »
I understand the frustration about rumors.  That's why I had to clarify that it was one of those "a friend of a friend" type of things.  Didn't make too much sense to me, however, being new at this, I guess I'm just gullible.  Better safe than sorry, right?   ;)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
I really don't know where these rumors start. WD-40 does not 'shellac' anything. Try it out on a piece of steel and see for your self. Then again I do use the BULK 1 GALLON variety not the crap they sell in the aerosol cans. The aerosol variety is not as oily in my opinion. I do suppose however if you 'hose' down the inside of the barrel and then fire multiple rounds through it to get the barrel hot without first running a dry patch down the bore then it's possible I guess. However it's poor practice to fire a gun with an oily barrel!

It's not a rumor...it actually does this...especially with the aerosol type cans...It will in time with repeated coatings do this on most surfaces...or in any type lock work..or in the trigger assembly and also Inside the bore..If the bore has any irregularities it will collect there and harden. I use to use it on my shotguns and pistols a long time ago...that was until I saw first hand what happens with it...Ask most lock smiths about it...they will tell you the same thing...Most gun cleaners will remove it but..once it is burned in the bore..it will take more effort to get to bare metal. One other thing...take a look at the warnings on a can of the stuff...and then read the MSDS sheets on it if you can...you don't want to inhale any of the vapors of WD-40 burning...it makes poisonous gas when it burns...There are way better products to use for cleaning and lubricating purposes...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...