Author Topic: Anyone know what this cannon is?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline megabyte

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone know what this cannon is?
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:54:08 AM »
I have this cannon and cannot figure out what it is any ideas?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Anyone know what this cannon is?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »
Is there a hole in the other end as well, or is it flat?

Offline megabyte

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
Its perfectly flat no trunions.

Offline lance

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:21:01 PM »
hey Megabyte, i could be wrong but it looks like a Stack gun. they were used for cleaning smoke stacks. DuPont made some in the 1920's, about 14"tall with a 1 3/4 bore.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
Megabyte -   WELCOME to the board!

Thanks for the pix!  It's always cool to see what someone else has collected or made or is using!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
...with a 1 3/4 bore.

for golf balls.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
...with a 1 3/4 bore.

for golf balls.   ;D
       if i didn't see the "grin face" i'd think you were serious. don't give the new guy the wrong ideal. stack guns were filled with blasting powder, minus the golfball. placed at bottom of smokestack and fired. the blast kinda blew the soot out of it ;D ;D ;D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
I know what they were designed for but the bore size is close enough for golf balls as long as a reasonable charge is used.  The problem is they have no trunnions which makes mounting one difficult.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
I know what they were designed for but the bore size is close enough for golf balls as long as a reasonable charge is used.  The problem is they have no trunnions which makes mounting one difficult.
i know you know, that you know, that i know, you know, what they were for. but Megabyte, wouldn't have asked for help if he knew what we knew, ya know ;D ;D ;D

Offline megabyte

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
hey Megabyte, i could be wrong but it looks like a Stack gun. they were used for cleaning smoke stacks. DuPont made some in the 1920's, about 14"tall with a 1 3/4 bore.

The bore size is 1" the bottom is flat, which could mean a verticle firing but why the ridge in the middle.  The ridge in the middle looks like some kind of trunion but it goes all the way around.  Could it be for between castle gates when they used to lock their enemies in a foryay then pore pitch on them.  Could this cannon be used for mounting in the wall and firing at the enemy like a shotgun?

Offline lance

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »
those are some good questions, but Stack guns came in all different shapes and sizes, that's what i think it is. as far as the ridge going around, could be for strength or decoration. i don't know what to tell you other than Stack gun.

Offline megabyte

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 03:57:54 AM »
those are some good questions, but Stack guns came in all different shapes and sizes, that's what i think it is. as far as the ridge going around, could be for strength or decoration. i don't know what to tell you other than Stack gun.

Its got serious oxidation like its been underwater for hundreds of years.  If its modern wouldnt it have markings?  Manufacturer or patent something?  This looks like is was cast in a primitive furnace.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 07:39:30 AM »
Stack guns were a tool that got used and abused and were not lovingly cared for.  Fire it up the stack, knock the soot and clinkers loose and toss it in the corner until next time.

The more modern ones were made by Winchester and Remington and used special 8 and 10 guage rounds.

Offline lance

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »
Megabyte, i'm almost sorry for getting on your page, and, SHOOTING MY STACK OFF.......sorry just an old expression. really i don't want anyone getting mad at me and BLOWING THEIR STACK....... oops, just another expression........... really, if you could find one of those dudes, you know, top hat and long black coat with a sweep, darn what's their name? you know ,they used to wander from town to village, and shoot cannons in peoples chimneys..........why you find the right one, he might give you a STACK of money,for your STACK gun ;D ;D ;D

Offline megabyte

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »
Megabyte, i'm almost sorry for getting on your page, and, SHOOTING MY STACK OFF.......sorry just an old expression. really i don't want anyone getting mad at me and BLOWING THEIR STACK....... oops, just another expression........... really, if you could find one of those dudes, you know, top hat and long black coat with a sweep, darn what's their name? you know ,they used to wander from town to village, and shoot cannons in peoples chimneys..........why you find the right one, he might give you a STACK of money,for your STACK gun ;D ;D ;D

Argh you dont get out very much do you?  Your sense of humor reminds me of when I worked for the government in the 80's a bunch of people circulating xeroxed jokes all day long.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »
Sounds like the perfect gun for indoor shooin in the winter... just stick it in the chimimey cleanout door and fire away  ;D

Offline lance

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
gosh mister, i was still in high school in the early 80's............. i don't guess my sense of humor is any worse than yours. plus you got your answer didn't you, i was able to tell you what your gun is. if it makes you feel better, i really laughed hard, when you wrote the part about "locking enemies in a foryay and pouring pitch on them".............. now it seems to me, that after the very first time of reading the words STACK GUN, you might have done a little research and said hey this guy is right,thank you very much.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
I got a boat load of cannons ( no kidding) not one has a manufactures mark or patent No# .  the iron stuff will rust over night and in 50 years will  look incredibly old and be very unsafe. I have 3 new cannon in Cast Iron (Sleeved) they are of course my biggest guns .

Everything else is either Brass ., Bronze or Stainless because it will outlast the iron (The Bronze is cool)).

DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED  Stay the course megabyte . There is alot to learn in this forum and we all joke and are light hearted however the info gained and shared is 2nd to none and the people here are experts actually . There are many Machinists ., Artillerysts and a combo of the both in these forums., welcome aboard. Lance did answer your question., in which case you came to the right place.

There is nothing wrong with that little cannon it will work for a great signal gun so long as the bore is inspected and in good condition.  And with that., its a good start to your collection., Time to get another ., then another ., its a great hobby and a lot of  fun., it will live on and on after we are gone.

Offline megabyte

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »
gosh mister, i was still in high school in the early 80's............. i don't guess my sense of humor is any worse than yours. plus you got your answer didn't you, i was able to tell you what your gun is. if it makes you feel better, i really laughed hard, when you wrote the part about "locking enemies in a foryay and pouring pitch on them".............. now it seems to me, that after the very first time of reading the words STACK GUN, you might have done a little research and said hey this guy is right,thank you very much.

LOL im a product of the 80's myself kinda helped write the anti computer hacker law with my butt.  Thats how I got the government job go to jail (not really) or work for the us government guess which I chose.  Havent you ever seen some of the castles in europe they loved to let their enemy get in close then roll something hot onto them and watch them melt.  Those europeans love their torture.  Common you loved it too when you where 10 with the magnifiying glass and those fun ants now didnt you?
Do research?  Thats what your for now get me a picture and a phone number to the guy who made it pronto!  Porfavor
p.s. run to taco bell and get me some hard tacos

Offline megabyte

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »

There is nothing wrong with that little cannon it will work for a great signal gun so long as the bore is inspected and in good condition.  And with that., its a good start to your collection., Time to get another ., then another ., its a great hobby and a lot of  fun., it will live on and on after we are gone.

Oh dont I know it I have stuff from Charles Dickens thats just passing through my possession on to someone else after I blow my self up with silly string.  I want to be out of weapons, long ago in a previous life I had a class 3 permit then I found out the sheriff or ATF could enter and inspect your house at any time of the day or night without a warrent that was enough for me.  The only cannon I want to own is the kind that takes pictures and get lost in the pool because you tried to film your child riding a bike in the backyard and forgot about the pool.

Offline lance

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 03:45:33 PM »

LOL im a product of the 80's myself kinda helped write the anti computer hacker law with my butt.  Thats how I got the government job go to jail (not really) or work for the us government guess which I chose.  Havent you ever seen some of the castles in europe they loved to let their enemy get in close then roll something hot onto them and watch them melt.  Those europeans love their torture.  Common you loved it too when you where 10 with the magnifiying glass and those fun ants now didnt you?
Do research?  Thats what your for now get me a picture and a phone number to the guy who made it pronto!  Porfavor
p.s. run to taco bell and get me some hard tacos
that stack gun might taste like a hard taco with some hot sauce.............

Offline megabyte

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »

[/quote] that stack gun might taste like a hard taco with some hot sauce.............
[/quote]

LOL how about pouring vodka down the fuse hole and doing the funnel?  Ah the rust flavor is just a bonus.

Offline lance

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
now i'm being honest and serious, so pay attention. first i want to thank you, i have snickered and laughed all day at work today. you have a talent for writing, seeing castles and europeans torture their enemies, that's good stuff, i needed a good laugh....... now your best bet would be to auction it off. what you have is really kinda neat,and it has history value. you might could do o.k. on flea bay, but you would have to use your writing talent to get "other" than just cannon people looking at it. what you want is for the little old ladies to be fighting over "the christmas cannon". people that could do that for you: Greg Martin Auctions............American Heritage Auction Gallery................maybe even Butterfield&Butterfield. hope this helps,Lance

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 10:14:46 AM »
The cannon shown is a celebration cannon, salute cannon, etc.  They were often made of turned-down wagon or railroad axles, which were then bored out and vented.  They seldom had trunnions because this would require too much turning.  Many were made trunnionless like this one for mounting in scooped-out logs or beams.  They were often held in place with one or more U-bolts with the two ends going down through holes in the wood.  They usually didn't have wheels.

Don't forget that firecrackers made with clorates (the noisy kinds firecrackers) are kind of a modern development, at least as far as mass commercial availability of the items.  Before that, I'll say during the 19th C, celebrants in the US used small cannons like this to make noise.  In Europe and many other places, thunder mugs were used for the same purpose.