Author Topic: Spotlight hunting - effectiveness of clip-on red filters ?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline BrnoB78

• Trade Count: (0)
Spotlight hunting - effectiveness of clip-on red filters ?
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »
I usually spotlight for foxes, rabbits, feral cats, pigs etc using the normal WHITE beam as it generally produces a longer and brighter beam
compared to when a clip-on RED filter is attached. Are there any worthwhile advantages of using such a filter compared to the normal white beam ?
For example, in reality, is the RED beam LESS VISIBLE to such game ? If so, they would be less likely to be scared off compared to the more obvious white beam. Sincere thanks for any positive feedback.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Spotlight hunting - effectiveness of clip-on red filters ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
In general, the red color spectrum is easier on the human eye as it "recovers" better under red than white when the light is turned off.  Red light doesn't seem to affect wildlife as harshly as white, although hunting with ANY SPOTLIGHT is against the law in most parts and those that unlawfully do it are Poachers.  Please consider the law first before spotlighting wildlife as it WILL BE considered "attempting to take" deer and managed game regardless of the intention, no questions asked and the Judges are intolerant of excuses.  This is not spoken from first hand experience, just conversation with the Wildlife LEO.

Offline BrnoB78

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »
Land_Owner, thanks for your reply. Here in the state of New South Wales (Australia) it is quite legal for licensed hunters to spotlight approved game, an exception being deer. Thankfully we also have rather strict laws to discourage unlicensed and/or unauthorised hunters. All the best from 'downunder' !

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »
Ross,   I visited your fair Continent (Melbourne 4 times by ship and westerly by car along the A1 to Kingston SE) about 30 years ago and have a fair bit of work on going in Woomera, though I have never been there.  Beautiful place all that I saw.  Makes me wish I could return and spend some quality time - particularly for hunting.  It is a BIG place Australia and there is a lot to see.  Glad you are here on GB Outdoors.

Offline BrnoB78

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
Land_Owner, you certainly have travelled afar ! Yes, Australia is a BIG place, no doubt much like America. In relation to hunting; the population of introduced animals (eg. feral rabbits/hares/cats/dogs/pigs/goats/deer, water buffalo, brumbies/wild horses, donkeys, camels, foxes etc) have
noticeably upset the ecological balance of our native animals (not to mention the untold damage done by land clearing for the purpose of grazing competitive introduced livestock etc) and have largely escalated due to the fact that we have very few large predators – hence the need for responsible licensed hunters. In short, why not pay us another visit and enjoy some quality hunting time !
With regard being on GB Outdoors – such forums are a readily accessible and practical means of sharing one’s relevant knowledge, skills and experience with others such that we can all benefit. All the best, Ross.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »
YES, the red lens helps Allot. It does not seem to spook the targets as much, it Halo's less, and eyes that you may Miss with the white light will GLOW with the red lens. I'd not night hunt for Predators / Varmints  without one.

And the Aust. Made Lightforce 170 Scope light with Red lens would be a Good choice  ;D

Offline BrnoB78

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:26:46 PM »
Ace, thanks for your helpful advice. I'll buy and re-trial a red coloured filter on my larger 9.5 inch 100W Lighforce spotlight - I've just being put off in the past with the apparent loss of effective range and clarity on the smaller unit. All the best.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »
Perfectly legal here in Montana as well.I have seen the red lense work well on fox and yote,they dont seem as spooked by it.We spotlight all winter after the end of our hunting seasons,we run a trap line and spotlight for all kinds of varmints.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:55:19 AM »
Perfectly legal here in Montana as well.I have seen the red lense work well on fox and yote,they dont seem as spooked by it.We spotlight all winter after the end of our hunting seasons,we run a trap line and spotlight for all kinds of varmints.

Another reason to like MT, as though I needed more reasons.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »
I hunt fox at night and I use a red cover over a light. I bot a "Tracker" light kit from Nite Lite http://www.huntsmart.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/displayleaf/sid/212013266716325314656875/lh/h-0,c-87,l-1228/sb/1228/pos/13 last year. It works very well and the battery stays charged for as long as I want to be out (6 hours was the longest and it still was going strong).

Now, I took off the light holder that was mounted on the hat, and attached it to my shooting stick. That way, I just used my electronic distress caller, scanned the field\woods with the light by just using one hand, turning my shooting stick left\right---leaning it up\down, and when one came in, I could just rest the gun on the stick and squeeze off a shot. (Hey, that all sounds real easy.....I wonder how I missed all those....oh,...never mind...).

Dave.