Author Topic: help me identify a Topper?  (Read 352 times)

Offline mgeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
help me identify a Topper?
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:12:55 AM »
My dad has a Topper 48 in .410 "guage".  That is the shotgun I first hunted with and the thing is dead accurate.  We could put slugs in it and kill 'chucks anytime out to 100yds.

I am curious as to what year this shotgun was made.  I looked all over for a SN and finally found it at the front of the receiver with the forestock removed.  The metal there is curved, so the top of the numbers are very lightly stamped.  It's also possible that the first "letter" isn't really part of the SN, but just happens to be markings in the cast (the inside of the receiver looks like it was cast steel), as it is much more lightly stamped than the other numbers.

I found:  J03617

The J is the character that might not even be part of the SN.  The 0/O fades out toward the top (like the 3617 do) and could actually be a U.  It has an H&R buttplate on the stock, a modern looking grip on the stock, a snap-on forestock, and a forestock pin which is brazed (gold colored) to the barrel.  If it should help, the receiver has 4 pins in it: smaller ones at the front of the trigger guard and above the trigger, and larger ones higher up (likely the hammer and barrel lock pivots), and the barrel release is a side-to-side lever rather than the push down release of the modern H&R/NEFs.

If anyone can help me date this shotgun, I'd appreciate it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: help me identify a Topper?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:22:07 AM »
The side lever shotguns can be much older than the dating system in the FAQs, I have one that has no serial number at all, but it makes sense that a J serial number on a model 48(for 1948 maybe?) was made in 1949 as the FAQs show.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.msg503417.html#msg503417
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain