Author Topic: Used gun prices  (Read 738 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Used gun prices
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:06:01 AM »
Is it just me or is the price of most used guns listed on several forums high?

I see a lot of guns for sale where the asking price is higher than I can buy the gun new.

I also see a lot of prices that are just a few percentage points under new price.

I'm not talking about MSRP, as most guns can be bought for around 20% less than MSRP.

Are people really paying these prices?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

Re: Used gun prices
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:36:35 AM »
Don't know if they're paying it but they're sure asking it.  I've just about stopped going to gun shows.  Around here --Wild and Wonderful West Virginia-- its the same tired old s**t at ridiculous prices.  I saw a model 788 with a stock that had been refinished with shellac with a POS scope with a price of $650.00. I gave the dealer a "you've got to be kidding" look and he blandly said "it's a classic."

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:05:20 AM »
RE: Walmart and guns- I don't see how they were making much profit selling the guns at the prices they do. When they can sell them for less than Joe Gunshop can buy them at their wholesale. Then add in the time they have to spend with the ATF going over their books 'cuz they sell so many....I can believe there's not much profit.

RE: Gun Prices. I have seen the high asking prices for used guns (like price is new price) and don't understand it either. It's probably always been that way, just maybe easier to see now with all the internet stuff.
There's probably a lot of uneducated people with money (a fool and his money...) out there buying what they want, and not shopping for it.
Look up any new gun on gunbroker.com and you will see prices ranging $100, or more, on the same thing. I can't figure that one out. They are on the same site with vastly different prices. I can't see how the guys with the high prices sell stuff, other than the fool and his money are soon parted.
I can see "asking" a price of what I have in the gun, (new cost, accessories, ammo, etc) but I don't expect to get it.

I think some people pay it, but these forum classifieds in particular, I think it's a starting point. Most folks will entertain offers.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline ~Ace~

• Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:53 AM »
Firearms don't depreciate in value like a car. And unles it's been Abused is worth As Much as they day it walked out of the "gun Shop" to me. Often times a lightly Used gun is worth More to me that a new one, if I trust the seller. Much like someone buying a House, and selliung it 5 years later for 40% more than they paid. And Many changes have been made to guns the past 5 years, Desirable options have been deleted, and silly Locks, Horrible triggers etc have replaced them. I'd take a Older Rem 700 over a new one Any day... and pay more than New price.

Wal-Mart prices ONLY mean anything at Wal-Mart, Real dealers can't touch them, most can't even get close. But if you have problems, you will wish you paid a lil more with a dealer. ~Ace~

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:03:45 AM »
Yes,, I've seen this.  Got to shop long and hard for a deal these days, or know a guy selling out. Yet the other day I was in Wally World sporting goods and heard the manager tell a customer that Wally got out of firearm sells because there was just no profit in it, and that's why they got out.

...TM7

As I posted elsewhere, I believe this to largely be due to a large number of private (individual to individual) used sales out there. 

Much as we hate to admit it, the number of hunters is either shrinking, or if growing it's doing so at a snails pace.  Some actively oppose the practice, and most others just see it as something they're not interested in.  Assuming that most hunters already have more guns then they need, many people when they need a new gun (say for one of their children or something) will just ask around to see if someone is either already selling, or willing to part with, one of their guns.  I've noticed these private sales to go for WAY less than most shops or stores sell for.

Given how long a gun lasts, especially the older ones, there's just generally more than enough already for those who use them as tools.  The only people left buying new hunting guns are enthusiasts and people with enough money to scoff at buying a used one. 

And I did focus on hunting in my post - I know well that there are many people who buy and shoot guns who don't hunt, but what I've noticed from them is that many, many of them do not really want the type of guns Wal-mart sells.  Many shoot handguns or semi-autos like the AR-15 clones, and Wal-mart hasn't dealt in those for a long time.  IMHO, Wal-mart would have saved their firearms business if instead of dropping all gun sales, they'd scaled back their long gun sales and started selling handguns again.

Offline Heavy C

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
I think 35REM has it right.  Anyone that is new to our sport may be naive and will go spend the extra dollars to get the "best" without doing much if any reasearch.  The deals are out there, but you have to beat the bushes a little harder.  Those private sellers that set their sites too high usually come around for a little reality break.  For the savvy buyer the deals are out there, but you have to be patient.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
i don't believe it is one thing causing the price being high , in many areas the store sets the price high so they can DEAL or drop and still make what they want ! Internet sales and news paper sales or other sale papers can be someone trying to hook someone who knows little about gun prices or someone who shall we say may want a gun that is not traceable to them ( it seem that many feel if they don't see paper work with their name on it they will never be in danger of that gun being taken away ) guess they haven't realized that any agency that had the authority to take that gun would also have the tools to find it like a metal detector etc. anyway at gun shows people pay high prices when paper work is not necessary ! then buyers go nuts if they think they can't get something ! Winchester mod 94's or high cap mags both didn't change but the buyers went nuts when they felt the end was near ! i saw people who wouldn't own a 94  , 2 weeks before the plant closed pay double to have one ! and we went to war several times with 7 shot mags now we have to have high caps , funny thing the guys at the front you know the USMC they stuck with the old 7 shot mag.
any way price seems to be almost magical to some ! and rediculas to the rest
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Casull

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 08:37:57 AM »
The strangest thing I ever saw in connection with gun prices happened at Gander Mountain a couple of years ago.  I was looking for a Mossberg 835.  Gander had a brand new one on sale for $369.  They also had one in their used racks for $375.  Same identical gun, except the used one had a cheap sling on it.  Anyway, ended up buying it at Wally World for $339 (hey, I can't pass up a bargain).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 08:45:49 AM »
GM around here will put either used or new guns on sale but not both and stuff like that happens , oh well that's what happens when bean counters take over !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !