Author Topic: Got my Canada black bear with my 45-70.  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Got my Canada black bear with my 45-70.
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »
Well I am back home from a successful and fun black bear hunt in Canada. We left on Monday the 13th of September and I drove 12 hours the first day and had a 5 hour drive the next day. We arrived in Cochrane Ontario Canada and pick up our licenses. We headed to the Outfitters called Zaverucha Outfitters. There we met our guide Eddie Zaverucha and got our cabin and did some paper work. The next day we met with the guide and got the agenda for the day.

I was taken in the bush about a mile out of camp on a 4 wheeler and was instructed to come back on the trail I was taken in on if I did not get a bear that night. I was thinking that is a long haul back to camp in the bush, but hay that's bear hunting. Well I got in my stand about 1:30 PM and was sitting about 40 yards from the bait site. I had my Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 with 405 gr. hard cast bullets. I watch the red squirrels jumping in and out of the 55 gallon drum and was amused at the smaller squirrels that kept trying to get up the barrel but kept falling back off. At about 3:40 PM I saw the bear come into the bait site, I hit my video recorder on and took aim at the bear, I noticed the bear had a very large white patch on it's chest when he jumped up to knock the barrel over, at that time I decided I was going to take that bear. That white patch sold me on the bear. I took my shot at which time the bear hunched up and ran into the bush to my left. I only heard it go a short distance and then it got quit.

I sat on the stand about 10 minuets and decided to get out of the stand and go over to where I had shot. I found blood with bubbles in it, so I knew I had a good lung shot on the bear, I followed the blood trail for about 25 yards and there was my bear dead. I got on the radio and called back to camp and told them I had a bear down. They told me someone was still in camp and they would come back with the four wheeler and get me and the bear. So I filled out my tag and tagged my bear. I drug the bear to a clearing and waited. I reset the bait barrel while I was waiting. When the guide got there we loaded the bear and headed back to camp. At that time I checked my shot location and I hit the bear right behind the shoulder, the bullet came out the other side of the bear and hit the leg right above the knee joint. So the shot was a double lung and took out one leg. The bear weighed 175 LB, but the sad thing was, there was not an once of fat on the bear. The blue berry crop was destroyed by an early frost in July and the bears up there are hungry and not building fat reserve. That bear should of weighted 250 to 275 LB. It was a large framed bear with a big head and feet. The weather was cold for this time of year, it was in the 40's at night and rainy and 50's during the day.

My buddy did not see a bear on the first night, so the next day I was going to follow the trucks out of camp and wait for my buddy in the bush while the guide took other hunter out as well, but there was a change of plains as we were told by our guide. We found out a big bear came into camp early that morning and was going through empty coolers in front of the cabins, we also found out that the bait that I took my bear on and were I had set up the bait site before I left was hit again that night. So my buddy was asked if he wanted to go into the stand I was in the night before. He said sure and at 1:30 off they went. I stayed in camp with my radio and was given guide duty, LOL. I was in the cabin putting away stuff and I hear the radio go off. My buddy asked if I was there, I asked him if he was OK because it was only 3:00 PM and he said he had shot a bear but it jumped back into the bush and he did not know if it was dead. I told him I was on the way. When I got to the bait site the bear and my buddy were there and the bear was dead. It just leaped right into the bush about 5 yards and died. We took pictures of the bear and my buddy and we loaded it up and headed back to camp. We skinned out the bear and gutted it. He did a perfect shot also, right in the shoulder and it took out both lungs and the opposite side shoulder. His bear was in the same condition as mine, very large bear but no fat, his weighed 180 LB and the hide were both in prime condition, they will make some great full body mounts.  We hung it up for about 2 hours and then loaded it up and took it to the butchers. We loaded up Thursday night and left Friday afternoon after we got out bears registered and got the paperwork for transporting the bear back to the good old US of A. We got back today Saturday after a long drive back home.

I would highly recommend Zaverucha Outfitters, they are a class act and guide service. http://www.blackbearhunt.ca/indexx.html

The guide was telling us the bears are starving up there, there is a major bear problem in the upper part of Ontario, one town had a report of well over 700 nuisance bear problems and had to kill 18 of them. The locals up there were telling us that bear are coming into town all the time. Many of the locals are fighting to reopen the spring bear season in Ontario, but they feel that it will take someone to get killed before the government will act on it.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jro45

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Got my Canada black bear with my 45-70.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:03:24 AM »
Nice Bear Alex!! Thats the same place I shot mine at in Cockrane Ontario. I've been there twice, Great place for BEAR. They have some big bear up there. How was the meat ? Mine was sweet. Mine is mounted on the same rock that Don's is. He did a nice job of mounting also.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
John, I have not tried the meat yet. I would like to see your mount that Don did for you.

George is going to do a full mount for me. I am going to have it high on the wall on a rock.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »
Congratulations Redhawk1..

Hopefully this will help eliminate some of the bad recommendations on this forum to 1st shoot bears in the shoulders. There's nothing better than a good shot to the vitals to anchor a bear or any animal.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline jro45

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:03:00 AM »
Stop by any time, Don knows where I live right across from his grandfathers. He also has my phone #. It unlisted.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
These Canadian bears, ..........................................they speak French or English?

Thanks for the hunting info, I will check out the outfitter.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »
Congrats on a really nice bear Redhawk! Sorry to hear the conditions in Canada aren't allowing the bears to be as big as they should be, but he still looks good. That white patch is sharp. ;D
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:17:31 AM »
Yes I love the white patch, but don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the size of my bear, just I hope most will make it through the winter with low to no fat reserve.

Thanks to all for the Congrat's.  ;D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »
One of the local state biologist told me that food supply is the main factor on bear hibernation.  Short food supply equals early hibernation.  Of course, we we're talking about bears much farther south.

It's been a tough year on a lot of the wildlife in the southern Appalachians.   A hard freeze in April for several days stunted most of the nut bearing trees and now this miserable heat along with a severe drought.

I've had several reports from land owners outside the national forest that the bears are moving outside the park and scavenging for food.  Not good....

I noticed you used a hard cast bullet.  We're you satisfied with the bullet?  I was thinking a 300 grain Remington JHP and 3031 would be what I carry in December while hunting bear with dogs.......I've heard some claims of over expansion with this bullet.......

You plan on hunting WV this year?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jro45

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:34:11 AM »
Alex did you get that picture?

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »
One of the local state biologist told me that food supply is the main factor on bear hibernation.  Short food supply equals early hibernation.  Of course, we we're talking about bears much farther south.

It's been a tough year on a lot of the wildlife in the southern Appalachians.   A hard freeze in April for several days stunted most of the nut bearing trees and now this miserable heat along with a severe drought.

I've had several reports from land owners outside the national forest that the bears are moving outside the park and scavenging for food.  Not good....

I noticed you used a hard cast bullet.  We're you satisfied with the bullet?  I was thinking a 300 grain Remington JHP and 3031 would be what I carry in December while hunting bear with dogs.......I've heard some claims of over expansion with this bullet.......

You plan on hunting WV this year?

Yes up in Canada they are having a big bear problem, a lot of bears coming into towns looking for food. Like I said there is one town that had well over 700 reported nuisance bear calls and they put down 18 of them bears.

As far as the hard cast bullets, I love the performance with them. I have always had great results with hard cast bullets on bear and hogs. Barnes bullets and hard cast make up 98% of my bullets I shoot.

I am going to go to WV this year and hunt. I just got back from a 4 day trip up to my land to do some last minute set ups.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »
Alex did you get that picture?

John yes I got it, nice looking bear.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »
Congrats .. Bear season opens here for me on the 21st of Sept first time i have manged to draw a permit having a tough time deciding what to hunt with the 45/70  or the 500 mag..

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
  Congrats Redhawk. Glad you had success. I'll be bear hunting in Northern MN on Sept. 1. I'm going with my 45-70 Handi. I was going to use my Super Blackhawk but can't seem to get the hang of hitting with it. I think next year I'll scope it and see how I do. I hope you get some good eating out of that bear and again congats.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 01:54:21 AM »
Congrats .. Bear season opens here for me on the 21st of Sept first time i have manged to draw a permit having a tough time deciding what to hunt with the 45/70  or the 500 mag..

Tc300mag1, either one will work, just use the one you like and feel most comfortable with. I never decide what gun to use until the last day. LOL  ;D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 02:01:04 AM »
  Congrats Redhawk. Glad you had success. I'll be bear hunting in Northern MN on Sept. 1. I'm going with my 45-70 Handi. I was going to use my Super Blackhawk but can't seem to get the hang of hitting with it. I think next year I'll scope it and see how I do. I hope you get some good eating out of that bear and again congats.

We sure did get some good eating, I had the local butcher make sausage, peperoni sticks and summer sausage out of it. The guy is fast, I gave him my bear on Wednesdy night and had it all back Friday morning. He has a huge smoker he uses and the stuff tastes great. My buddy had his bear all cut up into steaks, roast and other stuff. He kept the back straps whole also. It was a good thing I brought 2 huge coolers. One held all the meat and the other held the hides.

Good luck to you in your up coming hunt.

Tc300mag1, I forgot to say good luck to you also.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA