Author Topic: Finaly Shot my brand new ultra this week end AND  (Read 654 times)

Offline Treborwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
Finaly Shot my brand new ultra this week end AND
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:01 AM »
   I am a little concerned, I bought a brand new H&R Ultra .243 the barrel fit really nice and firm. I also purchased a .450 marlin barrel which was a little loose, I added a
shim as described in the FAQ, fit nice and firm after ward. Here is my concern after firing both barrels this week for the first time, Is it normal for the .243 barrel to loosen up after firing it for the first time, it has a very small play which wasn't there before. I am also having trouble getting consistent groupings with both barrel's, I use .450 leverevolutions and was using Winchester power points for the .243 and the Fusion's from federal.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Finaly Shot my brand new ultra this week end AND
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:17:08 AM »

How loose is loose?

If it is new...and not fitting correctly...then call NEF and ask for a call tag to be issued to you so you can send it back in and be repaired. No...the 243 shouldn't be shooting loose with just a few rounds thru it...and if it did...then either it wasn't fitted correctly at the factory to begin with or the lug is setting back on it now...Same for the 450M...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Treborwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »

Strange, I just checked it again, I put back the 450M with the shim and it nice and firm no movement like it ought to be, then I put the .243 back on and no more movement, hmmm, something with the latch I guess,

I'am going to try it this week end, I tightened up the scope mounts screws & checked the scope to be level and I used a friends magnetic bore sighter vs my laser bore sighter lets see if things improve.

Offline stalker1

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:31 AM »
Is it loose when open or when it is closed and locked?

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:00:21 PM »
Don't forget to check tightness with the fore-stock off!

Mc

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:55:35 AM »
If it's tight with the action closed and the forearm on then it should be ok. Something i found is you have to "close'' them with a little force not slam it this should give you more latch engagement.