Author Topic: Question Maine red stag hunts  (Read 1075 times)

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Question Maine red stag hunts
« on: August 22, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »

I've been fascinated with hunting "exotics" for several years.  That is, animals which are not native to North America.  Red stag are European cousins to North American elk.

I enjoyed a hunt for Russian boar in both northern California and Tioga Preserve in Pennsylvania. 

Now I'm ready for red stag.  Maine has a number of hunting preserves of varying acreage and pricing. But I have zero comprehension of good, bad, or ugly operations.  Any helpful insight is much appreciated.

This photo was copied from a Maine hunting preserve website.  Truthfully, I've never met this hunter. This stag's "crown" is symmetrical and very appealing to me.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

TR

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Question Maine red stag hunts
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:37:18 AM »
Hi TR!

I'm thinking you were looking at the Hind site or Skinner Bog site.  I've contacted both for reds and let me tell you.....they are pricey.  That stag in the pic you posted will cost about 5 or 6k at least.  The owners are nice fellows though and you shoud try to negotiate.  Please have a look at my stag on my FOTKI site.  I took it in NY and it was 3500 and measured 280SCI (9x8). 

I'd also recommend Majestic World Lodge in PA.  He has some good prices and a great red/elk cross that are more reasonably priced and huge.  They have the red antler configuration with the elk size.  Really impressive!!

IF you settle on Maine, I'd try to negotiate price.  I couldn't get anywhere though I was willing to travel elsewhere and did.  I'd be careful with (avoid) Hillside Preserve in Aurora.  PM me if you want my take on that fellow.

PLEASE...keep in touch on this as I'm really interested.  BTW...I'll keep an eye out at Wild Hill in VT and if I see anything remotely similer to the stag in the pic...I'll let you know...or...I'll post pics of US!!!!

Regards,

Doug
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!