Author Topic: 357 MAX, Can I?  (Read 921 times)

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
357 MAX, Can I?
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
I know there are several Handi owners who have or are in the process of getting a .357 MAX.  I am in the "in the process" group.  As I have been assembling components for reloading I have leaned toward the recommendations for the Hornady XTP (.357 dia.) 180gr.  But while I was looking I also came across the Hornady Interlock (.358 dia.) 180gr. Spire Point Single Shot Pistol bullet.  The BC is a little higher for the Interlock, .248 vs. .230 so I don't know if that is enough to make a difference.

My question is, with the Interlock being .358 dia. Can I use it in the Handi barrel?  Or should I say, Can I safely use it?  Or some of the other .35 cal. bullets in that weight range?
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: 357 MAX, Can I?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:10:53 PM »
Doug Ive read a article about those. ( cant remember where) They work, but wernt as accurate as the xtps . I ll try & find the article. It may have been from here at GBO. But from what I read they will work.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »
Here's the article...

http://specialtypistols.ottllc.com/sp10.html

And here's a bunch on bullet performance in the 35 Remington, the 180gr SSP is included. ;)

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/35remington/35rempart2b.html

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »
Those are good articles, a lot of information there.  When I get a little more time I want to sit and read through them again and make some notes. 

My concern was with the bullet being .001" bigger in diameter, would it cause an appreciable increase in pressure?  I haven't received my barrel from NEF yet, so I haven't slugged it to see what the bore dimensions are.

Has anyone heard if NEF has received their shipment of .357 barrels yet?  When I contacted them on July 13 they said 8 weeks.  Tomorrow will be 6 weeks.  (We can hope, can't we?)  After they get the barrels then there is the wait for fitting all of those millions of receivers that have been sent in to be fitted with the new supply of .357 barrel.  Is it Christmas yet?

Thank you
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
For the life of me, I don't see why they don't just sell .357 Handi Rifles.  Everybody wants one.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »
hiker

the hornady pistol bullets shoot well in my max, but not nearly as well as the xtp.  If you are going to deer hunt with it, the 180s are good, but just for shooting, try the 158s.  They are the best I have personally found

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 07:43:31 PM »
Here in IL we can't use a rifle for deer.  I can use a .357 revolver or larger for deer or a shotgun slug, 20ga. and larger (also muzzle loaders .45 cal and larger).  I can actually even use a single shot pistol .357 and larger.  I don't understand all of their reasoning, but that is the way it is for now.  So for now the .357 MAX will be for fun and a chance for me to get into a little customization of a gun.  I have thought of using the 158gr for plinking and fun.  I have even read about using cast bullets in the MAX.  Then I wait and hope that they change the law here in IL so I can use it for deer.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:01:03 AM »
You will like the max i love mine my fav. rifle and contender if my barrel shows up today.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
After 4 months got my .357 mag bbl back (new bbl on my frame).

Excellent bbl.  They put the right touch on the trigger without asking too!

Of note to y'all is that an RCBS 35-200 gc bullet will engage the rifling with 1/32" CLEARANCE between the base and the empty case mouth!  You shouldn't have any problem coming in with a .375 max reamer.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »
You shouldn't have any problem coming in with a .375 max reamer.

I hope you meant .357 Max!! Nope, not me, I'm not lexdixic!!! ;D

Traditionally, many 357mag Handi owners here have shot 360 Dan Wesson ammo in theirs without reaming to Maxi, throats and chambers are on the long side. ;)

Tim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 05:24:34 AM »
I got an email response from NEF this morning.  The .357 Mag barrels will be in this week.  My order should be shipped the end of the week.  That is after I modified my order.  Last week I added a muzzle loader barrel to the order.  In their response this morning NEF said that they are out of muzzle loader barrels and it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they will receive them.  They wanted to know if I wanted to wait on my order until then.  I said NOPE, get my order on the way.  I'll send a different receiver for the muzzle loader barrel.  But I want the .357 Mag barrels now..   LOL

Good things (.357 Mag barrels) do come to those that wait.  :-)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »
You shouldn't have any problem coming in with a .375 max reamer.

I hope you meant .357 Max!! Nope, not me, I'm not lexdixic!!! ;D
Tim

Charter member of AOD - Dyslexics Of America.

And yes, I have several .357's and .375's .

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
Is the 357 available as a rifle, or just the barrel ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
Just the barrel, but with Indiana allowing 357 and larger handgun chamberings in rifles for deer, that may change H&R/Marlin's view on rifle availability. ;) There are only 30 of the current run of 357 barrel left, so if ya want one, better get it while the gettin is good. ;)

Tim