Author Topic: 28 gauge ammo  (Read 843 times)

Offline gould

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
28 gauge ammo
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »
I just got a NEF 28ga. and the shells are not cheep wondering if anyone has a source for cheaper ammo. Other then that I love the gun already shot 2 tree rats with it (pest control). ;)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 28 gauge ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
If you want cheap 28 gauge ammo you gotta make it yourself it's that simple. Even buying target ammo in bulk it's hard to find any under $75 per flat these days and that's for stuff like RIO or Estate. Brand names like Winchester, Remington and Federal are now running close to or over $100 per flat. BUT come next price jump which most think will be September 1 you can expect to add another 10% to 15% on top of that.

With the current prices on lead shot and primers it's soon gonna cost between $3 and $4 and likely closer to the higher number just to reload your own. US brand primers are now moving at around $150 and up a case of 5000 and expected to rise again soon if you can even find them. I paid $110 for the elcheapo RIOs this week and lead shot is costing the dealers over $40 a bag now and selling retail at $45 or more a bag.

During this year I've picked up some RIO 28 gauge shells as cheaply as $55 per flat and paid as much as $100 per flat for Winchester AAs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
Thanks Graybeard thats what I thought. how are the Mec 600jr. presses? I will be reloading for it I really like the CZ Bobwhite SxS in 28 also so I am going to have to reload for it. They shoot great.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:43:52 AM »
I've been using the 600 JR for at least 30 years off and on and have had them in all four skeet gauges. Currently my .410 set up is a 600 JR since none of the single stage presses have a primer feed option in .410 anyway I saw no need to go to a more expensive press if I wasn't gonna be able to get a primer feed for it. I've probably run about 3000 rounds thru that one now.

In 28 gauge you can buy a primer feed for the 600 JR if you want for an added cost of about $30 or so I think and it is a worth while option and works well but you can do without it fine as well if you want to save those bucks. The way I do it for mine is to put the box of primers on the table in front of press and after sizing the hull I just stick it on top of a primer and press down enough to make it stick in the case and then put it in the priming station and seat the primer. It's a little slower than using a primer drop like by 28, 20 and 12 gauge Sizemaster 77s have but not by a lot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Thanks for the fast response I have a mec grabber press in 12ga. that we have had for years and its a great press. I just know how the older stuff is usually better then the newer thing out there so I was just checking but sounds good to me. Thanks again Graybeard.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:50:20 AM »
I just bought primers last night at Gander Mt. (one of the few places that had any).  Their primers, pistol, rifle & shotgun, were running $29.95 to $33.95 per 1,000.  I asked the guy if they had already raised the prices for the anticipated Sept 1 cost increase.  Nope, the price will go up again when they get their new shipments.  :-(
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
I use the 600 Jr for My 28 ga I have had My 28ga H&R for about a year and the reloader do it the same as GB said for primer use 5 shot 3/4 oz. and it is a very good small game gun test drive for My son for next year ,last year so good think I might have to send in frame for My own 28 ga barrel when He takes his next year , bought alot of reloading stuff when I bought the gun and reloader I don`t now about the new prices have not run out of old stuff yet , but 6 shot hard to come by and 5 shot they don`t make ,I have shot tree rats as far as my 12 ga and dropped them as good or better then a 20 ga sweet gun never be without 1 ,I like to see what a slug can do if you reload your own there is a place to do that too ..............Later John