Author Topic: anyone ever break the ceiling fan with a rifle?  (Read 888 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
anyone ever break the ceiling fan with a rifle?
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
.........just wondering, not that I know anyone who has done this.....twice.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: anyone ever break the ceiling fan with a rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »
Are you trying to get confessions? ;D When I was a kid I was flipping a single shot shotgun shut (empty of course), just messing around, on the porch and busted out a ceiling light. Not the brightest thing I ever did and caught heck for it too. BTW- the only ceiling fan I knew of, was in the local barber shop. We did not have them in our houses, not in the old days 50 years ago. If we did, I probably would have hit that too. Now, ours hangs over a stairwell, but if it was were I could reach it, I probably would have done it in too. :D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
No ceiling fans here, but if there were, I'm sure it would've happened by now!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Captain Emo

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »
I had a cat who jumped onto the ceiling fan.  Rode it about 1/2 way around the room before the blade snapped off and the cat hit the  dining room table.  I miss that cat. 

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:36:01 PM »
LOL

I forget that there are more ceiling fans in use down here.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:49:34 PM »
Never hit one with a rifle but i know for a fact that 4 cans of Silly String on new years will burn one up .  :o  :o  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
When I was about 17 years old my brother in law was taking the rubber tree plant out to get some air. He walked under the ceiling fan and turned it in to a very short rubber tree plant. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »
Nope, dont know of anyone that has done that. I MIGHT know of a guy that was shooting a bow that his dad made for him into a privacy fence that was around my,errrr the hypothetical guys patio. The arrow MIGHT have gone over the fence, and MIGHT have shattered the sliding glass door into about 42 million pieces. Allegedly. ;D

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »
Never wounded a ceiling fan, but did shoot a deer in the apple orchard from the kitchen window, once...... forgot my father worked third shift and was sleeping at the time. Thought they were gonna hafta surgically remove those bedsheets...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »
   :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »
LOL

(woke my son up, dang)

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:11 PM »
I know a guy who allegedly stuck a wooden arrow right through the bow of his friends ,neighbors new fiberglass boat with a little plastic children's bow last summer.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:12:33 AM »
Was concentrating on chasing a bee with a newspaper and stood on a footstool and got wacked in the head. Another time I was putting on a sweater and when I raised my arms I got wacked in the hand. Good thing they have wooden blades. Not my favorite household appliance.

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 05:19:27 AM »
I picked my son up when he was 4 ant stuck his head in the ceiling fan.  He is now 24 you suppose that made him the way he is?
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:19 AM »
Never a rifle but I do know in a contest between a ceiling fan and a once 7" foot custom made Bass fishing rod, the fan will win every time. >:(
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 06:42:13 AM »
Na, I try not to shoot my rifles inside.
My uncle did have a shotgun go of in his apartment once.
Kinda upset the lady next door.

I also have hit my head on a fan.

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
Never have hit one with a rifle, nope not once, ;D And never get a long bow near one either..... Talk about a mess, the bow won mostly!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »
Day before deer season Me and wife was fighting over My 870 12ga ,She did not want to use Her Winchester 1300 20ga , and when I came in the bedroom to get My stuff ready for the next morning She was putting My 870 in her case we started to fight over it and the ceiling fan won and lost never put a fan back in the bed room , Note I did use Her gun and let Her use Mine She missed a 10 point at less then 30 yrds ( scope got knocked off My guess from the ceiling fan ) He came by Me at about 75 yrds stopped 1 shot in the broiler room and He was down in less then 10 yrds Me and son watched Him go down, it is a long story......... later :-\

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
No, but I have learned not to raise my arms while putting on a camouflage shirt at 4 in the morning.  Kind of wakes you up though.

RJ

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »
never a ceiling fan, but i did have 3 fluorescent work lights that got into arguments with a model 12 trap gun. the lights lost, but not without scaring the hell outta the bystanders.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
No ceiling fans.  When I was a kid I had a makeshift BB gun shooting gallery in my folks basement.  I would spend hours shooting at all kinds of stuff, paper targets, little animals made from modeling clay, soda cans, plastic army men, you name it.  One day got the bright idea to use an empty fabric softener bottle for some "pin shooting".  Worked great until a BB ricocheted off the top curve of the bottle and took out a 4" fluorescent over head light tube .   :-[  Anyone know what that white powdery stuff is they put in those things?  :P
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
Ok guys this is the classic case of the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

When I was 5 we moved into another house. Taking bath one night I decided to shoot the light bulb that stuck out over the tub.
(No shower combos back then) One good shot from my Weegee and pow, I am sitting in the dark with glass in tub.

Then there was the horse that tried to kill me, and the infamous ice pick, and the bicycle wreck, and the time I was up in the top of an oak tree with an axe, and the section harrow that I snagged up on top of the tractor while i was driving, and the time I pushed in the clutch on the tractor on a long steep hill and a front tire came loose.........

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
Anyone know what that white powdery stuff is they put in those things?  :P

Cleanup of broken fluorescent lamps
A broken fluorescent tube is more hazardous than a broken conventional incandescent bulb due to the mercury content. Because of this, the safe cleanup of broken fluorescent bulbs differs from cleanup of conventional broken glass or incandescent bulbs. 99% of the mercury is typically contained in the phosphor, especially on lamps that are near their end of life [3]. Therefore, a typical safe cleanup usually involves first opening a window and then leaving the room (restricting access) for at least 15 minutes, wearing gloves carefully dispose of any broken glass, as well as any loose white powder (fluorescent glass coating) you can use sticky tape to pick up small pieces... double bag any waste. Dispose of waste in accordance with local hazardous waste laws. Finally a wet paper towel should be used instead of a vacuum cleaner for cleanup of glass and powder, to reduce the vaporization of the mercury into the air.

The first time you vacuum the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag once done cleaning the area (or empty and wipe the canister) and put the bag and/or vacuum debris, as well as the cleaning materials, in two sealed plastic bags in the outdoor trash or protected outdoor location for normal disposal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »
Gosh Quick:  I've cleaned up hundreds of broken florescent tubes with just a broom and dust pan.  Then gave the dust a fast sweep to disappate it.  That's the way we always did it.  Typical Government worker I guess.  Ignorance was bliss.

Anyway, my folks moved into a differant home about six years ago.  previous occupants had placed decorative wooden beams in the den.  Then they had installed a ceiling fan on one of the beams.  They were short people, she was about 5ft and he was 5'5" so it was not a problem with them.  While moving in my younger brother that is 6'7" walked in carrying a box of dishes.  He was immediatelly smacked in the head with the fan.  Mom needed new dishes after that.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.