Author Topic: leather bags  (Read 603 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
leather bags
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:54:26 AM »
I'm tired of wearing out cheap nylon sand bags and want to buy a set of leather bags. Can somebody give me a link to where I can get a set without getting overcharged? I was looking at midsouth and they had some that were reasonable, made by aa&e. Does anyone know if they are decent quality, the picture was more of a drawing and didn't show much.

Also I would be interested to know what you guys fill them with. I fill mine with used tumbling media, though I've heard of rice, sunflower seeds. Or do you think sand is the best way to go because of the weight.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: leather bags
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:14:45 AM »
I use the ones from Midsouth and some of mine have been in use for close to 20 years and are still just fine. I've got a wide selection of those they sell in fact just about all of them I guess.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:47:19 AM »
Well I hate to confess but, I bought mine at wall mart in the gun section. I did have to furnish my own sand. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »
Don't know where the wife got mine, but she gave them to me for Christmas 25 years ago.  Could not fine sand at that time, it was kind of on the hard side then, (Frozen).  I filled them with rice, they haven't started growing yet.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
I bought some from Cabela's last year. They are well made out of very good leather. Filled them with sand, it's easyt o find around here.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »
Got some at Cabela's , some at mid-way , don't get excited i have 3 total !
saw them at graf and sons also !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:07:46 AM »
The ones I liked at midway were made by protektor. I ended up getting them direct from the manufacturer. The price was the same but they had more of a selection. I got a small front bag, an owl ear rear bag and a couple of brick bags one for adjusting height and one for my elbow.

They did have, in case anyone is interested, a shooter's ridge tri stance rest on sale for 24.79 no bags included though
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 09:30:12 AM »
Unused cat litter makes good filler.  Why not make your own bags?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:32:06 AM »
the bag that goes under the toe of your stock , try rice you can squeeze it to adjust height !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
I cut the leg off of an old pair of jeans. I had the wife sew it up after I filled it with rice.  It has worn well and I can shape it for whatever use I need.  I also filled a white gym sock with rice and tied it close.  I use it mostly under the the butt stock to adjust for elevation if needed.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »
I too made sandbags out of jeans. A section of leg makes a simple bag, and the crotch area can be fashioned into a "mule ear" bag. Use heavy quilting thread, and they will last a long time, especially if you don't use old, worn-out jeans. Pick up some nice ones at Goodwill or Salvation Army for $3. Our range is in the sand hills, so filler isn't a problem.