Author Topic: Bad day at the range!!!!!!!  (Read 801 times)

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
Bad day at the range!!!!!!!
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Got to the range today with my 7mm08 i had loaded 3 diff. loads tried all 3 NOT GOOD more like a shotgun pattern than a group i was very upset. This was at 25 yrds the scope i am using is off my 308 that did shoot sub 1". I moved to 50yrds thinking it was me trying to hard same thing. I gaveup pulled out my 44 contender and shot 2 1/2 group at 100yrds rang the 10" plate at 150. Came home called my bubby he came over with some 7mm08 light mags shot 2" at 50yrds with them so i pulled all my loaded 08 loads and start over ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE!!!!!!! PARTSMAN WERE YA AT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Bad day at the range!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »
handi243...is this a new rifle ?? it seem's to be a little better with the factory mag-ammo...have you shot other factory ammo ?? i assume these were the 1st handload's...

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:39:23 PM »
I got the barrel a couple months ago haven't had time to shoot. This is the only factory ammo i've tried hope to get the reloads to work. I really like the accubonds i just reloaded some more of them i did check the overall length and backed down by .02 i'll try them in a couple of days. i'm using 46gr of imr4350 this is what noslers web sight said. I did find out that this is a very tight chamber compared to my friends remington so mabe i'll get it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
If that 46gr of IMR4350 is for 140gr bullets, that's a max load, certainly not a place to be starting!! ??? If it's for 120gr bullets, work up some, I can't see how someone can expect to pick a random load and expect a lot from it, you may get lucky, but more than likely, you'll just waste your time, powder and bullets!! While I've never worked a load at 25yds, I've always been able to shoot better than "patterns" at 100yds, with very few exceptions. Load work up is just that, start at or near the start load and work up, I do ½gr increments, some use 1gr increments, but I'll tell ya right now, I've had loads that went from 1½"moa  to ½"moa with just a ½gr change, many times!! Usually I'll load 3 shots each in ½gr increments from the recommended start load right up to the max, that could be anywhere from 18 to 30 rounds total, depending on the load, if the spread is only a few grains, I'll work the last 1 grain in .2gr increments, and for a small case like the Hornet, the entire load is worked in .1gr increments.

You can also use a load ladder where you load 20 rounds in small increments, .2gr or.5gr increments, you shoot all rounds at the same target and carefully mark where each round struck on a target at your bench, the accurate load to concentrate on will be where the tightest cluster of impacts occur.

http://www.mikeswillowlake.com/ladder%20test.htm

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
Working with the OAL is probably the last step, the fine tuning after you find a load that works. Working with too many variables just doesn't get it done.  First find a load and bullet that works good, then play with the OAL.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:34:13 AM »
hello..i forgot to ask weight of bullet that's being used...quick is right...whether my next comment applie's i don't know...i'm amazed with several rifle's including a few handi's that a starting or near starting  load often produce's the best group's...my 223 bolt rifle will shoot 55 grain  nosler's & a starting load of benchmark into a ragged hole..my 243 handi shoot's best with a grain over a starting load...beyond that the group's open up..a co-worker started reloading this spring he's almost fifty not a kid...i can't get though his head that max load's are not starting point's !!!!!!! all he look's at is velocity...he has gotten lucky so far & shoot's resonable group's...so..far...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:20:53 AM »
Working with the OAL is probably the last step, the fine tuning after you find a load that works. Working with too many variables just doesn't get it done.  First find a load and bullet that works good, then play with the OAL.  Larry

Bingo...+1

The only bullets I will seat out close to the lands in a single shot is coated ones for start loads...all the rest I start at the start load & recommended OAL...They reduce the pressure of the load if all things are equal...You can't start at any maximum with a Handi...You have to work up all your loads to find the sweet spot...just as you do with any other rifle...While not the cheapest or easiest way of doing it is to find a factory load that shoots good then emulate it with your hand loads...

A couple I recommend you try...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=568182&t=11082005 or these...http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=637458&t=11082005 The Fusions are a bonded bullet...while the Silver BT's aren't...but...these 2 types of bullets work exceptionally well from most Handi's I've owned ...

While you can't get the Fusion bullet for reloading...you can get the Silver BT's bullets for the Winchester...http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=675244&t=11082005 The Fusion factory ammo is cheap enough right now to stock up on if you want a bonded bullet to shoot in a factory ammo...If you prefer to reload...you can get some of the excellent Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 140 grain to load...They aren't cheap...but they shot excellent out of my 280...http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=369311&t=11082005

Once Combined Technology releases their Lubalox coated Accubonds...I will be trying them too...but...in the mean time...it is only offered in these calibers...http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrlist.aspx?bn=5&type=31

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Tried some Hornady light mags 2day 139gr i may have to try and duplicate this load.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »
PARTSMAN WERE YA AT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried 4 different factory loads in mine and none shoot as good as your light mags.
2 (don't remember) Remington's, some old federal partitions 140g, and some Hornady 139g(not light mag).

One more box will put me to 100 rounds.
Hopefully she will break in.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
Went to the range today i loaded some 140 gr accubond (the bullet i really would like to use) 2 rounds with 43gr of imr4350 2 with 44grs, 2 with 45grs  did put a small pcs of rubber under the forend screw first 2 went about 3-4"(43grs) the next (44grs) went even worse 6-7" the 45grs went about 1" I think i may have found my load going to shoot a 3 shot group this weekend just to check.