Author Topic: Careful where you walk  (Read 1210 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Careful where you walk
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:10:59 PM »
Only Handi related because that is what I was carrying today.  Went up to my favorite place in the Cascades today mostly to set a TrailCam.  Had my 30 Carbine Handi with me just to have a rifle.  About a mile up my favorite logging road I rounded a sharp bend and found my self 20 feet from a Meth Lab.  10 by 20 blue tarp strung up, half a dozen 15 gallon propane tanks and a dozen jerry cans, 5 foot pile of garbage and beer cans and the place smelled like down town Subic Bay.  No one was home, (lucky for me) so I beat a rapid retreat watching for trip wires all the way down.  Never know what you will find in the woods.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Careful where you walk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
I trust you made the proper (anonymous?) call to those who should know of such things?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:25:37 PM »
It's well taken care of.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:08:12 PM »
I remember following a pipeline out into the woods south of town one day as a kid.  We were looking for pools in this creek that more or less followed the pipeline.  Wow!  Someone had a field of tomato plants.  At least I thought that they were tomato plants.  No drama happened, but I think about that 20+ years later when I walk off the beaten path.  Now I know about mousetraps with shotgun shells, etc.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm old, and have seen lots of things, but this was just so amazingly out of place that I was taken totally by surprise.  If these guys had been working today I would have been in deep doo doo.  I've hunted alone for years, but am now thinking it is not a very good idea.  I've felt real small looking at a 1,000 pound Elk at 10 yards while I was holding a 22 pistol, but this was probably the closest I've come to having a real problem.  Larry

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:39:02 PM »
Not that I am super paranoid, I'm pretty paranoid.  Anyway, I lived in Northern Louisiana for awhile.  A girl from NO would go out into the woods with us sometimes for bonfires, beer drinking, general redneck stuff.  She would always make fun of two of us for having pistols in bags or belts or whatever.  Some people are just blind to the world I guess.

I am glad that you didn't stumble into them cooking a batch.  Have dealt with some tweakers here in Southern OK......scary for their unpredictableness more than anything.  One woman wanted me to feel the dent in her head from "where her old man tried to kill her with a hammer".  Nuff said. 

I don't know if someone cooking that crap would be high or not, but they probably wouldn't be to happy to see you.  Glad that nothing happened.

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:17:57 AM »
wow !! that's spooky...it's a pure shame..on top of everything else we worry about..now this..when i read the title to the thread i thought it was going to be about rattlesnake's..in comparison that would be child's play...i'm glad your ok...

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 06:55:25 AM »
Glad no one was home,also glad its taken care of.Myself I'd much rather run into a rattlesnake,you never know what those other snakes will do.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline choctaw

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »
Meth labs are everywhere.  Larry did a great job by backing out and reporting it.  Most Texans hunt private land, and thus feel rather secure.  That is a false sense of security, because labs dot rural Texas.  Heads-up this season guys because vigilance can save your life.
"When I am on the trail, it leads me through the forest, across valleys and streams. It is there, alone with God and his creations, that I find sanctuary."

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 08:51:17 AM »
The only problem in that situation is one shot most likely won't be enough, unless you run into one person. You just never know! I know PA has changed laws about concealed carry to include other seasons so you can carry your protection. In today's age it's very smart to carry at least a good revolver in the woods with you. You never know when you may need it. At least nobody was home! Everybody be safe!!!! If your children hunt, keep them very close by & warn them of the dangers that can be lurking in the woods. The animals are the least of your worries.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 10:35:22 AM »
I've sold off all my pistols, but for awhile there I was looking for a 4" stainless Ruger Security Six 357 for a compact rust resistant "fishing gun". I never found one for a reasonable price tho and stopped looking after awhile.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline ALLANGT

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »
Meth labs are everywhere.  Larry did a great job by backing out and reporting it.  Most Texans hunt private land, and thus feel rather secure.  That is a false sense of security, because labs dot rural Texas.  Heads-up this season guys because vigilance can save your life.
Good reason to hunt with a friend that has an AR.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Walked upon a still when I was a teenager out squirrel hunting, didn't know what I was getting into. The guard on the still talked to me  for a few minutes the told me what ridge to go and find all the squirrels I wanted. Things have changed.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
Dove hunting, deer hunting, or even filling feeders and working on stands, I always at least have my little 38 in my pocket, if not my 1911 on my hip. Good for snakes, skunks, raccoons, mountain lions, hogs, 2 legged predators, and big foot  ;) . They've probably found about 50 acres of marijuana in river bottoms around Dallas during the last 3 weeks. This was within the city limits, but the brush is so thick around the fields, they only saw it by helicopter and had to use a bulldozer to get to them.

If you were out hunting or just screwing around exploring, it would be easy to stumble into.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 03:08:09 PM »
Hey.......big foot lives around here too

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 03:12:49 PM »
Come on now,... tell the truth, you were tempted to shoot the propane tanks weren't you?!?!

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Did you set up the trailcam?  I was out checking my trailcam on my family's land last week to find out that it was gone.  All I found was a shovel and 3 empty boxes of miracle grow.  The cops were notified and I have not found any "crops" yet.  I am going back to set up my bow hunting tree stands this week some evening, and I'll be carrying a  .44 redhawk and an AR.  I can see these guys operating in a remote part of the cascade mountains, but when they are on my private land of 99 fenced and posted acres, it will end soon.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
Come on now,... tell the truth, you were tempted to shoot the propane tanks weren't you?!?!
  You know that crosed my mind also. If I was sure I was the only one there but I got to thinking about starting a forest fire. He did the right thing and hope the guy's get busted.    Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
Oregon is also having the same problems. Here's some of a recent OSP report of just one find:

"Approximately 8,900 marijuana plants averaging one-foot in height were seized. These plants, if allowed to grow and mature to the point of being harvested, may have an estimated value of nearly 9 million dollars."

Oregon State Police Drug Enforcement Section Lieutenant Mike Dingeman noted that Oregon has seen an increase in the number of multi-thousand marijuana plant gardens as well as well-armed individuals who are specifically assigned to guard these locations. Between 2005 and 2006, the seizure of marijuana plants from outdoor grow sites has increased from about 32,000 to over 100,000.

"There has been a significant increase in the number of multi-thousand plant variety gardens," Lieutenant Dingeman said. "With these larger gardens also come well-armed guards that pose a very real threat for the safety of anyone who may unexpectedly come upon these areas. If anyone does come across this type of a situation, contact law enforcement as soon as possible."
Source: http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/NEWSRL/news/05_31_2007_thedalles_mjgrow.shtml

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »
Here too, a bunch of LEOs had to be rescued after their trek up Dog Mt to access and destroy a pot growing operation recently. I've stumbled into a couple "cultivation" sites in the woods, fortunately, there was no on around at the time, unfortunately for the "cultivators", the law was called in on both of em!! ;D

Tim

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews/08122007news182246.cfm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »
Don't want to be the one to pee in someones  pocket,BUT IF YOU ARE NOT PARANOID ,YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, and IMNSHO walking around the woods hunting with a single shot is something I love to do.With at a very minimum a BHP or 1911 on my hip, the pistols are for vermin control. .  my2c Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 04:24:39 AM »
My cousin was headed home from collage one day and decided to take dirt roads to see the country.
He came across a man digging in the back off a pickup. Thought maybe this guy was broken down or something.
Stopped to offer help.
As soon as my cousin walked around his truck he saw that the guy had a bed full of propane bottles and was parked near an
anhydrous ammonia tank.
This old boy turned around and fire a shot strait at his heart all in one motion, no hello, %&*# you, nothing.
Luckily my cousin flinched and got it in the shoulder and was able to get in the truck and get away.