Author Topic: Pietta 1851 Navy U.S. Marshal, .44 caliber, Engraved  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Riot Earp

• Trade Count: (0)
Pietta 1851 Navy U.S. Marshal, .44 caliber, Engraved
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
Howdy.

There's a thread on this gun over at www.cascity.com. Anybody over here own one? Any positive or negative comments? I'm thinking of getting one from Cabela's. I've been leery of Piettas, but this gun is supposed to be a bit more refined than their standard 1851.

Regards,
Earp

Offline subgunner

Re: Pietta 1851 Navy U.S. Marshal, .44 caliber, Engraved
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »
I got one from Cabela's a few week ago. Fits like a glove in my hand. I LOVE it. Havn't have time to shoot it. Great looking pistol. Wish I could get the .36 cal model that Pietta makes. I have only seen them on the web over in Europe.

Offline NozzleRag

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »
Piettas have gotten a bad rap that they don't now deserve.   Their current guns are as good as any of the other reproductions.

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 03:07:25 AM »
Piettas have gotten a bad rap that they don't now deserve.   Their current guns are as good as any of the other reproductions.

Pietta deserved every bit of the 'bad rap' they earned by producing poor quality products and not standing behind them for several years. It is also true that they have corrected the problems that caused the poor quality and have improved their customer service in the last couple of years. They now must continue to produce quality products for several more years to overcome that unfortunately earned and deserved bad reputation.

I'm confident they will do so, and would have no qualms buying a Pietta gun manufactured in the last 2 or 3 years. I'd avoid anything made during the 90's and early 2000's.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 06:34:44 AM »
I bought a Traditions .44 Colt at Bass Pro Shop 3 or 4 years ago. It is a Pietta. This is a well made pistol.
I have had the hand spring, and the main spring break. Traditions sent me new ones for free, no questions asked. I replaced them myself.
I would buy another Pietta for sure.
Now I also have a Uberti, it is a better made gun. Really beautiful grips. But, the bolt broke on it, and I had to buy one from VTI, so I can't say it is a whole lot better than the Pietta.
By the way, the replacement main spring that Traditions sent me was too strong. I just ground on it a little with my favorite gunsmithing tool, the Makita belt sander, with 80 grit paper. It is just right now.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »
Quote from: Riot Earp
Howdy.
I'm thinking of getting one from Cabela's.
Regards, Earp
Riot Earp,
Hope I'm not too late with this reply, but check out Midway USA's website, as they appear to carry the Pietta line of revolvers for much less than Cabelas.  ;)
www.midwayusa.com

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline Flint

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
Just note that both Cabelas and Midway have some "Won't ship to" states.  Check with their websites or catalogs for those problem states, hopefully you aren't in one.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »
I bought both types in early 2005.  I bought a Pietta 1860 Army from Cabelas, and an 1851 Navy made by Uberti.  The Pietta Army had reasonable fit and outer finish, shot well, but the part that turns the cylinder was so badly made that it was gouging deep groves into the cylinder notches.  There was also signs of rough machining in other parts of the gun.  I sold it off at a loss.

I had also tried to buy a Pietta 1860 Army about 10 years ago, from Cabelas.  The cylinder shaft was very loose in the frame, returned it to Cabelas for a refund.

My Uberti 1851 is a better gun, better machining, fit and finish.  I would like to add more cap and ball guns, but I won't buy Pietta again.

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:40 AM »
Pietta went through a period of poor quality in the late 90's and early 00's, and no doubt your Marshall was one of those guns. They have significantly improved their quality lately and are keeping prices below Uberti in so doing. While I still feel their fit and finish is not up to Uberti yet it's getting close. They may well be equal before too long. I would keep an open mind here and take another look at Pietta in a year or two. They appear to have corrected their problems.

The part that was 'gouging' your cylinder was not the part that turns it. It's called the bolt and it actually stops the cylinder from turning when the gun is in battery or after firing. The part that turns the cylinder is called the hand and it is inside the recoil shield behind the cylinder.

Your problem could likely have been solved with a little polishing and timing adjustment. Almost all of the Italian imports (yes, Uberti included) would benefit from some polishing and adjusting out of the box. In fact, I've never seen one that didn't need some attention in that area. The Colt single action design is a masterpiece of simplicity and function, and home gunsmithing on these guns is easy and highly rewarding.