Author Topic: I am ticked!! FFL issue  (Read 6638 times)

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
I am ticked!! FFL issue
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »
I am trying to buy a gun from an individual and found out all the FFL dealers (in my area) won't give their info to individuals. Just to other FFL dealers. The individual has to send the gun to their FFL and then transfer between them. They explained it was not a fed requirement but a security issue for them.... End result, The guuy selling it has to pay extra to sell his gun and my cost goes up 50 bucks atleast to get it here (there FFl and my FFL fees!!! To say I am ticked is really being polite
Stupid Hurts

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I am ticked!! FFL issue
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
That's not unusual, my FFL won't provide a copy of their license to a non-licensed person either. The ATF's Ez-check website helps out with that issue tho, anyone can verify if an FFL is valid or not if they can obtain the first 3 and last 5 digits of their license number, I've used it many times.

Tim

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »
same here, even worse!! FFL's in the area are $40.00 and UP and will not accept from a non FFL so the fee's are VERY high. It may be what the liberals wanted to do, limit firearm sales by back-dooring legislation, allow them but make them so costly to make them very unattractive....<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Neither will mine and neither will I. I accept and ship only FFL to FFL. Ya might recall that for such a LOOOOONG time the RULES here at GBO read that you understood all firearms transactions were to be handled that way?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
that is how it is done here too ... first it was all handguns : ffl to ffl now it is everything and it is not free, the cheapest is 35 bucks and the most expensive is 50.
dk

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:37:57 AM »
I'm lucky that my FFL charges $10.00 flat.

He will provide his 1st 3 and last 5 for ez check and sends a copy to other FFL's.

But I guess he's more pro 2nd amendment than other firearm dealers.

Its a shame now that gun buyers now have to fight more than red tape to get a gun these days.

And I don't want to offend any FFL's, but when one guy says $10, and another says $40, there's more than red tape going on here.

Offline NONYA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »
I know 2,the one i have used chages $10 and the other $20.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »
I just picked up a copy off a ffl today for a transfer.  The dealer does not charge for the transfer!  Although will take a donation for the transfer that is given to the local Jr Sheriff training group.  I thought that was a neat idea.  I gave $20 and felt good about it.  He has earned my future business because of his donation policy.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 03:24:18 AM »
Ask him to open a branch around here will you, everyone is a winner with that setup, congratulations to you and he both....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
I did a search on gunbroker for local FFL's and found one that would "be glad" to do it. Should be in tomorrow and I can go off island to get it thursday pm. I'm excited! 30-06 and 223 barrel combo!
As far as transfer fees go 20 to 40 is common around here. Now double that if your going FFL to FFL.... wheres the great deal now?
Stupid Hurts

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
My FFL charges $15 and will hand me a copy of his FFL whenever I ask.  I guess I am blessed!

Offline zasxcd

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »
My FFL dealer charges $15, AND he is an attorney that specializes in firearms issues. He has no problems handing me a copy of his FFL. Anyone in SE Michigan that wants his contact info PM me.
NRA Life Member

Offline m1aman

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 03:22:43 PM »
my ffl has no problems handing over a copy of his license.

Offline Dusty Wheeler

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
Not meaning to ruffle feathers but keep in mind that your FFL holders jumped through the hoops and got their FFL's.  Imagine if you will, BATF calling and saying they will be at your address to review your books...  not to mention states like CA that are more difficult to deal with than the feds...  These are nightmares I don't want!

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
I guess I'm lucky too.   The two guys that I use, one made me about 25 copies of his FFL to send out as I need, the other guy emailed me a file copy to print/fax/attach to emails if I need it.  They both charge $20, but one of them usually doesn't charge me at all, depending on how his sales are going.  They both will send it to whoever needs it as well.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
.  Imagine if you will, BATF calling and saying they will be at your address to review your books...  

Do they actually call first?
My local FFL has a low fee (at least for me) as he knows I will buy reloading goodies and things like a bi-pod and scope rings from him when my new toy arrivess

Offline Dusty Wheeler

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »
"Do they actually call first?"

Sometimes.  It depends if it is the record keeping guys or the enforcement guys...

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »
Is there something that can be stolen from a FFL? Why would you not want to send a copy.
I drop an addressed envelope off at my dealer and he puts a copy and then mails it for me.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 10:28:53 AM »
I remember trying to get an FFL number in order to send a gun to a guy in Michigan.

He was going through Gander Mountain.

They would not send me a copy of the FFL (because they only send to other FFL's).  So I asked them for the numbers that would be required just to do an easy check.

They refused.

I asked the rocket scientist manager to look over her shoulder and tell me if their license is posted in a conspicuous place, as required.  She said yes.

To which I said, "So, anyone can come in and copy down the whole thing just by looking at it, but you won't give me a portion over the phone just so I can verify it?"

She said that is correct, no numbers for you.

The buyer had to go to the store and get the numbers for me, just so I had something for my records.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 05:54:21 AM »
My dealer won't give me a copy, but if i take him a money order he will put it in an envelope
with his lic. and mail to anyone i say. $25.00
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Paints-n-cows

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
  • Once a Marine, always a Marine
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »
I am in central Illinois and my FFL just gives me the copies and tells to just let him know when he is going to receive something for me.

He has never asked for money but I always give him $20 just because.  The way I look at it, I am paying for his renewal fees after just a few rifles.

BTW, his ex-wife is now my ex-girlfriend and that is how we met

;D

Maybe he is just sympathetic

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
He he, that sounds like how I met my wife.  My old girlfriend was best friends with her best friend, I dated the best friend after I broke up with GF #1, then the best friend dumped me, then I started dating my wife and we ended up married!  Wow, that was a heck of summer.....

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »
I was wondering if the law was you just had to send it to an FFL, or you actually have to have a copy of the FFL.  It would seem pretty odvious that your local gun shops would have an FFL.  You can also check online for ffl holders.  It's pretty much guaranteed the local Gander Mountain that sells guns has a valid ffl, so why couldn't you just ship the gun to them without them giving you a copy?  So I guess the law is you must have a copy?   

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
As I understand it, when shipped dealer to dealer, there must be a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL on file.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »
Licensees have different ATF rules than non-licensees.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
you  guys got  me curious

no  ff  will send me a gun  without having a SIGNED copy on file of  my ffl
if  i take in a gun  i don;t  need  their  ff  butname  address  etc  [some  send  ffl # now  so  i  record  it
and when  the gun  goes  out  i must  have  either 4473 form  or  the  SIGNED  ff  the  it  went  to

that's  what  the feds  want  you may  have a different LOCAL  law
i  believe  i  can  accept  guns  from  anyone  in  the  country  ffl  or  not

i  will  check  See  if  things have changed  next  week  for  sure

if  you  KNOW  i  am wrong please tell  me
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
All the rules are on the BATF site, and easy to understand.  In most states anyone can ship to a FFL dealer.  I just like having a copy of their FFL so I'm sure I'm legal.  It can be an electronic copy, faxed copy, or a real copy.

ATF's Ezecheck website clearly states it's not to be used in lieu of a certified copy of the FFL.  On the other hand a non-licensee isn't required to keep a copy of the FFLs he's shipped to, or any record of the shipment.

You are required to let the post office or FedEx know that you are shipping a firearm in writing unless you are a FFL dealer.  It also has to be rendered inoperative(disassembled.)

USPS can't ship handguns.  FedEx must ship them overnight.

I can't get UPS to ship anything, even a muzzleloader.

States and cities may have their own laws.

In FL you don't have to go through a dealer for in state sales.  You can just ship them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 12:17:50 AM »
pawn shops are your very best resource for FFL transfers

Unlike snoody gunshops a pawnbroker will never turn down the oppurtunity to make a free $20

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
gander mountain does fll tranfers for $75 ...  I ABOUT LAUGHED IN THE MANS FACE.. I AM SO DISAPOINTED IN GANDER MOUNTAIN... NOT SURE IF ITS ALL STORES OR JUST THE ONE HERE IN WATERTOWN ,NY....

5 GUYS STANDING AROUND THE GUN SHOWCASE AREA.... THE ONE MAN THAT WAS ACTUALLY WORKING ON SOMETHING HAD TO STOP AND HELP ME WHEN I ORDERED MY TURKEY GUN.... THE OTHER 4 STOOD THERE WITH DUMB LOOKS ON THIER FACES...CHATTING TO EACH OTHER... THAT WAS THE SECOND TIME SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENED...LOL SORRY GOT OF TRACK... STILL A LITTLE UPSET WITH IT.....

ANYWAYS.. YEAH  $75 FOR A F.L.L. TRANSFER WITH THIS GANDERMONTAIN
I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 12:23:15 AM »
The FFL I ususally go through used to do it free for regulars like myself and several friends.
Think he charged me $30.00 last time.

I had planned to get my own FFL at one time only to use it for my convenience and that of a few select buddies... licensing fee was very reasonable.

BUT Bill Clinton took care of that if you recall!
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!