Author Topic: brenneke  (Read 1830 times)

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
brenneke
« on: August 28, 2007, 03:53:46 AM »
just picked up 2 boxes of brenneke k.o. slugs box reads for smooth &rifled barrels anyone try them . got them for 2.60 a box at dicks.

bighemidaddy

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: brenneke
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:40:50 PM »
I have not tried the brennekes yet. Last year with some Ohio hunting was my first foray into slug hunting, but I have never heard much bad about those slugs.
You hear a lot of good and bad reviews about a lot of different brands but the brennekes seem to please most folks. I hope they do good for you.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:40:17 AM »
Brennekes are great and are my preferred slugs for my smoothbores. I have not shot the K.O.'s and some have posted there groups were not as small as they had hoped for but they are easily "minute of deer" out to 50-75 yards and if you get them in the heart lung area the deer just don't move any more. I think you will like them. I have had my best luck using a modified choke tube....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »
These are the slugs of choice for my smooth bore 870 special purpose. I tested all of the slugs available at the time, (1997), and the Brenneke's held the best 100 yd pattern. I use an extended, rifled screw in choke tube. To date, I have killed 3 deer and one black bear with the 870/Brenneke duo.

Offline bighemidaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:39:54 PM »
thanks im going to try them this weekend

bighemidaddy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
By the way, $2.60 a box is a very good price for Brenneke slugs....<....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
What do you think about using Brenneke slugs in my full choke 20 ga.? Haven't tried any yet but I thought I might to see how it patterns. If it patterns good, what would be the effective range for deer? thanks.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:16 AM »
you will never know how accurately a particular gun will will shoot or pattern with a specific ammo unless you try it. They will not hurt your full choke gun at all. I highly suggest using 2 3/4" instead of the 3" shells. The are just as effective for deer and they always seem to shoot better, for me anyway. I think the the effective range of a Brenneke in a 20 gauge, if the aim is true to the mark, would be somewhere around 100 to 120 yards. You should only shoot out to the maximum range you are SURE you can hit the vitals. Keep all your shots within your personal effective range and you will be A-OK....<><....:)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
thanks I will give it a try and let you guys know how I did!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline prairiedog555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »
I thought that the Brenneke slugs were designed for use with NO rifling either in bore or tube.
If so what choke works best?  Or should I get a rifiled choke tube?
What kind of groups could be expected?

Thank you

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:40:46 AM »
I have not tried the Brenneke yet but plan to in 20 ga. full choke, and I have some plain foster slugs which I will compare them to. Hopefully sometime next week...so many things and so little time for me in Sept-Oct.

Joe

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:02:17 AM »
I tried the brenneke kos in my benelli 12 ga nova(fully rifled barrel). They didn't shoot very good and I stuck with the Buckhammers.  But have used rottweil brenneke slugs in my winchester 16 ga. with a smooth bore(cyl.choke) with good results.  I'd say they are better out of a smooth bore.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
The Rottweil Brennekes (my preferred) and the Brenneke KO's are regrettably not the same.
I much prefer the Rottweil Brennekes for accuracy out of my smoothbores but do not believe
they are being sold anymore since Brenneke America took over....<><....:(

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:26:38 AM »
  Interesting info at   www.brennekeusa.com   and   www.ableammo.com
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
I couldn't get my new 11-87 to group very well no matter what slug I tried, but I had some rottweil berneke rifled slugs left over from my smoothbore and tried them and clover leafed at 50 yards.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 07:41:22 AM »
Got a NEF Ultra 12 ga rifled barreled slug gun and I can report that the slugs will not shoot in the gun, this gun does not like the KO slugs. Shoots a shotgun sized pattern and unable to zero scope with them...dont shoot them in a rifled barrel...JimP.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »
  Picked up some Brenneke KOs at Dick's Saturday, $ 2.64  for 5@
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »
Got a NEF Ultra 12 ga rifled barreled slug gun and I can report that the slugs will not shoot in the gun, this gun does not like the KO slugs. Shoots a shotgun sized pattern and unable to zero scope with them...dont shoot them in a rifled barrel...JimP.

My rifled barrel shoots the rottweil berneke really well, never tried the ko slugs, guess all guns are different.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 11:49:57 AM »
I'd be very interested to see how they shoot out of my new TAMER-if they will put them in a 6'' circle at 75 yards-thats plenty good enough for me-

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »
Two deer at 60plus yds & a hog at about 40-all dead in their tracks with 12ga. Brennekes in a Tracker II. Hunman55

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »
...found a really good deal on brenneke ko slugs....abc outdoors has them for 2.30 a box...I ordered 40 boxes and only pain 8.99 shipping...I am not connected with them in any way this is just a heads up to impoverished shooters everywhere....

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »
now if anyone can find a supply of Rottwiel Brenneke slugs myself and I am sure others here will be VERY happy....<><....:)

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
I just bought a couple boxes of 16 ga Rottweil Brennekes from a local place called the Gun Broker.  When I asked, they said their supplier has them.  Might have to go back and buy 10 or 15 boxes in case they run out.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!