Author Topic: Deer Cocaine  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Deer Cocaine
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:12:01 AM »
I have seen Deer Cocaine advertized, and I found the active ingredient is MSG.  Has anyone used it to attract deer such as pouring on a stump or on the ground?

I find that deer are not attracted to something that is foreign to them.  I lugged a salt block into a field at the end of season once.  The deer never toughed it.  I then broke it up and buried it.  After that, I had something dig at it.

I see a lot of stuff that sounds great. only the deer don't seem to have the same opinion.

Any other mixes or formulas?

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
Re: Deer Cocaine
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:37:51 AM »
the toughest thing when puttin' out any type of bait or attractant is having the deer find it and then using it. I don't use bait myself(kinda a ethics thing) but have seen huge wallows pawed  in the ground that had to be deer working on somebodies lick. Around here it is common knowledge that the deer don't actively go to a salt lick/block till the weather gets hot. I have seen deer during turkey season regularly come up and use a cattle lick tank that contained molasseses with minerals.......I don't hunt that piece of property in the fall, but if I did, I would want to be able to see if it was being used.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
The stuff works.  I find the deer will hit it for a while hard but will slow down.  Salt is good but only during summer.  I suggest if you are going put stuff out put out something that will help the deer during the hard times (winter).  A food source.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »
I've never had any luck with it.  The best thing I've found is the 20lb animal mineralized salt block at any feed and seed store.  It is cheap and better IMHO.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:11 AM »
We used to buy rock salt and put it in  gallon milk jugs and fill the jugs full of water.  We would then put the jugs where they were handy and shake them every time we went by.  About a month before the season opened, we would have scouted out several stumps that were pretty well rotted down and we would pour the salt syrup over them.  We would freshen the licks maybe once before the season and I've seen holes knee deep where the deer had pawed down after the salt.

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 12:40:53 PM »
I keep RED mineral salt blocks out all year at the feeders, the deer do use them and the extra minerals I feel wont do them any harm, actually Im sure it is good for them, I once let a block tray go MT for a few weeks and where the salt residue melted into the ground the deer had dug a hole there looking for the salt and minerals.   JIM

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
Yes it does work i tried it on the ground it work well but i tried  something, i put a bag of shelled corn (50lbs) in a plastic bin like you get at walmart then i put a bag of cocaine in it fill it with water and let it sit for a couple of hours. I put it out with some plan corn they went on the cocaine corn!!!!!!!!! I had my trail cam up at the bait there was a 8ptr that ran all the other deer away it lasted about a day and a half. The corn will turn Very dark gold color.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:10:17 AM »
For whatever it's worth.  Last night at Gander Mountain a stranger said that he has tried it the deer just walked right on by it without even noticing it.  We were all talking about that kind of stuff.

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »
it needs to be put where they will be eating anyway.. once they try it they like it... I feel the food plots and the mineral blocks are best..
dk

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
the only time i seen it work was in sandy soil.