Author Topic: Interesting morning  (Read 729 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Interesting morning
« on: August 30, 2007, 07:02:22 AM »
Got up at 5:30 this morning as usual.  Came downstairs, went through the laundry room and into the garage to let the Beagles out.  Opened the garage door, and there stood a Cow Moose and calf, not 10 feet from the door.  Bert, the aggressive one, does not like anything in his territory.  Ernie the passive one usually follows Berts lead to chase away intruders.  Both were on the attack mode before I even knew what was happening.  The door was only half way up when they shot out after something. At this point I did not know what was going on, I still had not seen the Moose. Earnie grabbed the calf by the heels, that started the ruckus.  The cow turned and went after Ernie.  Ernie seeing the cow coming after him, turned and ran back into the garage.  Seeing an angry cow coming at me, I jumped back up the steps and into the laundry room slamming the door.  I was leaning on the door thinking "Ernie, your on your own this time".  I heard a big crash, Ernie yelp, then it got quite in the garage.  I thought she might have gotten Ernie.  I could hear Bert still barking out in the yard.  I peeked out into the garage and it was empty of animals, so I went out to see what the damage was.  My reloading bench was knocked over and reloading supplies  and powder was scattered around.  But the commotion was moving away from the house.  I went to the door and looked down the drive.  Both Beagles were after the cow and calf.  Everytime she would go after one the other one would grab her heels.  I yelled at them, but they ignored me.  Then they all disappeared going down the street.

My neighbor Russ was going out to get into his truck when they chased her into his drive.  He said he thought he was going to get run over by the cow.  He quickly jumped into his truck.  Then the cow ran past his truck, around his house and out into his pond.  At this point Russ said the dogs looked pleased, stood and watcher her for a moment then trotted back toward home.

The only loss was a container of Unique powder.  Powder was scattered over everything and the empty paper container was up on top of my gun vault.  The old sterio I keep on top of the vault had been moved about 4 inches, another 4 inches and it would have fallen.  I had been sorting brass the night before and that brass had been scattered around the floor.  Luckily I had placed my electronic scales up on a shelf the night before, and they were safe.  Nothing else was in the garage at that time.  Vehicles were outside.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Interesting morning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »
Wow sounds like ya got off lucky I would bet a mad moose is nothing to play with.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:48:21 AM »
ROFLMAO :D :D :D ;D

I had a female beagle house pet for 13 years. She was a good dog, but when she got on a scent, or any animal trail, her hearing just went to the "off mode". I guess most beagle's do. I was chuckling when I read the "your on your own" part, but when I got to the part where you yelled at 'em.....and they ignored you.....I actually laughed out loud. It just reminded me of that damned beagle of mine. She could hear me, knew exactly what I wanted, but (just like a woman) could care less, and did what she had her mind set on.

Thanks for the story....I'm glad your damage was minimal, and you dogs were not hurt.....and they were proud of protecting you!  ;D Ha!

Dave

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
Wow! Glad to hear you came out of that one...What is the fine if you had to defend yourself? Don't have moose here and don't have to buy tags either...Just curious...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »
Surdough;

You did good, those cows can be nasty..and doubly so when they have a calf beside them.

My sister and her husband live right near North Pole. They tell me they have been having some bear problems also !

Enough so they keep a "big thumper", loaded and beside the kitchen door..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 04:33:43 PM »
Our Beagle used to sit on the porch above his food bowl in the early evening and "enjoy" the company (months worth of company) of a wild red fox that regularly ate leftovers right out of his bowl .  I always thought dogs were protective of their food.  We became quite concerned when a Health Department alert was issued regarding a rabid fox that was discovered across the lake from us.  We never saw that fox again.  Who knows?  It could have been the one.  Would you think that could be a consequence of eating dog food?

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
Great story!!
I enjoy your entries. Tell them beagles to stick to rabbits, but then again, from what I've heard, some of your snowshoe hare's get pretty jumbo also.
Glad it all turned out good.
Mark.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »
ironglow:  There has been a total of 11 Grizzlies killed this summer in this area.  I've not heard anything about Black Bear problems, just Grizzlies.  Then there is no closed season on Black Bears like there is on Grizzlies.  If someone kills a Blackie they just skin it out no big deal.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 02:44:11 AM »
Sourdough;

You do realize of course; how some of us WISH we had your hunting opportunities ! ;D :o
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:07:19 AM »
Ironglow, and anyone else interested:  Got back last night at 10:30, from a short overnighter in the White Mountains.  Saw Moose, and lots of Caribou sign but no Caribou.  Saw a group of 23 Dall sheep (Ewes and lambs) going in Friday, then three big Rams.  Unable to calculate the size due to them running when we saw them, and they did not slow down thill they were over the top of the mountain.  Had a small bull walk through camp yesterday morning, we just sat there eating breakfast.  I looked at Norm, he looked at me, we both said "NA, Let him go".  We were enjoying the morning too much, the sun rising over the mountains, frost on the tents and grass, trees changing colors, cool crisp air, and the distant roar of a small stream near camp.  We did not build a fire so we would not spoil the scene.  Beautiful weather, after the sun came up it got hot.  We just started riding the 4-wheelers looking at new teritory.  As evening progressed we decided to come home as it was looking like rain.  Saw another group of Dall sheep on the way out.  32 in this group, then two Rams across the trail about 100 yards away.  Both were only half curl, we watched them for a while then the wind shifted and they winded us and were gone fast.  We got out just in time, the rain started as we drove to the highway from the trailhead. 

My neighbor wanted fresh meat so he went out yesterday morning.  Borrowed my canoe and went about four miles from the house and put into Pile Driver slough.  His intent was to drift the slough, spend one night camping out then finishing the drift today.  10 minutes into the drift he rounded the first bend and there stood a 50 inch bull.  Easy twenty yard shot.   His son Eric had not even gotten back home from dropping him off, when Russ called him.  Russ needed help to dress it out and haul it back to the little park where he had started drifting.  Eric walked the bank to the location, just a few hundred yards from the parking lot.  Had to make two trips, too much meat for the Coleman Scanoe for one trip.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
  Wish i were there...along with probably a couple hundred here at GBs...LOL

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
Great story. I really enjoyed it. I was just waiting for the part where you came out of the laundry room with the Handi.   Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!