Author Topic: H&R Replacement Trigger Guard and forend spacer.  (Read 11344 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Replacement Trigger Guard and forend spacer.
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »
Almost just like finishing a stock, just a lot less acreage!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
Now ya gone an dunit there go's whatever he had for stock  ;D Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
Nice. Post pics of it after your done and its on your gun. I like the way it looks now. I expected him to do that but heck that's what makes NEF and H&R what it is.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »
Tim you do know thats why most good fishing lures are shiney? Is the trigger on your big bore plated or cast? That should really look great with BC stocks? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
The hammer is plated, see the low profile hammer mod part 2 in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline fernie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »

So has anyone here milled a spacer/trigger guard out of stock steel or brass?

?:(?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
Not many, if any, have mills here Doc, I used my drill press for a mill, for my hobby purposes, it serves me well!! ;D I just got $100 worth of stuff from LMS to use on mine, a set of 3/8" end mills, transfer punches and a mister, to name a few items.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,134787.msg1098514427.html#msg1098514427

Offline fernie

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2008, 04:17:46 AM »

Tim,

That's all you  need...well, time and patience, too...and if you're like me the willingness to start over again once you mess up.  I've milled many parts over the years with a minimum of $..and I still have all my fingers to boot (for God's sake clamp your work)!  There's nothing like the smell of oxidizing steel as you cut!  It seems to me like I just worked myself into next winter's project thinking about this...:o ...I think I'll go in steel?

Doc

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »
That was fast,...mine (in brass) has arrived already.  I'm sorry others had to wait sooo long, but THANKS to you all and the info hear I was able to get a unique product to "customize" my BC.  Can't wait to start fitting!!!!

JerryKo :)
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2008, 03:09:29 AM »
That was fast,...mine (in brass) has arrived already.  I'm sorry others had to wait sooo long, but THANKS to you all and the info hear I was able to get a unique product to "customize" my BC.  Can't wait to start fitting!!!!

JerryKo :)

How long was your process time to time of delivery?   

I just pushed the button on an order for 1 of each of the spaces and trigger guards (brass/steel) not even 5 minutes ago.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »
Looks like I ordered my 2nd set about same time as you Jerry so maybe mine will so up today. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »
Well shucks!!! >:(

Sorry guys I came back from the PO empty handed.  I was all excited lastnite reading my email when I saw "delivered" in my messages for the TG and spacer.  I guess it is not truely delivered being its not in my mailbox.  Any body else get similar emails before actual arrival.  The shipped day and time vary only about 25 mins from the delivered day and time.?  I only discovered this today.

Oh well I suppose it should be here soon tho.  I'll post back.  Sorry again.  I'm getting to be like a kid at Christmas with this stuff. :-[

JerryKo :D

Oh I ordered on Jan 17th.
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:31 AM »
Depends on where your mail box is, if you have a real po box at a US Post Office, it's will be delivered to the box if it fits in the box(my TG and spacer was and I have the smallest box, a #1), if not, a notice will be left in the box to pick it up at the counter. They may have mis-sorted the notice too!! ::) If you have a PMB (private mail box) at a contractor, it's considered delivered when the carrier leaves it with them, but it may still not be in the box when you checked.

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 11:42:47 AM »
Yep its a real US Post Office. ???

Jerry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
Jerry, I just realized what you're referring to, that's sent by Tom Moyers when he ships, I got that too, I think he just means it's been delivered to the post office for mailing, there's no delivery confirmation on mine, just 1st class postage on a 7x10 bubble mailer.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
Ok, I'm to the check the fit stage, most of the rough polishing and some finish polishing done, wanted to check the fit to see how far into the frame it fits, still need to do a little more finishing where the trigger guard meets the frame and the inside of the trigger guard. I was able to heat the spacer on the electric kitchen stove burner and with the added help of a propane torch, got it red hot and straightened it out perfect. After cleaning it up on the belt sander, I used 320 wet/dry with Kroil, then 600 on both pieces, then some finish polishing with a dremel felt polisher and Flitz. Not much more and she'll be done. I'm a bit disappointed in the fit at the rear of the trigger guard, Tom took too much metal off there so it leaves a gap between the finial and the frame. :( Gotta do the trigger job again, it's back up to 4lbs-12oz. :-\

More later,

Tim

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:11 AM »
They sure look good though, Tim.

I've grown to expect a little work when it comes to anything dealing with these Handi's.  For the $ that those spacers and guards lightened our pockets - a little elbow grease is a fair trade-off.  :D

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2008, 06:09:30 AM »
Looking good Tim . Has anybody ever found any of the brass barrel bands that work? Even if they were for another gun that could be made to work on Handi's with bbl bands? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:34 AM »
Looks good Tim.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »
Looking great Tim,...

Made another trip to the post office at noon and I now have the pieces in hand.  I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Hope the Wife dose't mind. :)

Tim my spacer was void of the custom offset that yours had.  I guess you had to pay more or know someone to get a fancy one like that. :D

JerryKo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2008, 07:37:45 AM »
Yeah, that was a bit of a disappointment, but not hard to fix. The bigger disappointment is the fit at the rear of the trigger guard, I hope they aren't all like that. I sent Tom an email with a pic of the gap, he hasn't replied yet, I may have to call him if he doesn't, but I don't like to bother him if he's working making more parts!! ;D

thanks,

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2008, 07:47:13 AM »
Tim,

My trigger guard looks like it was ground alot there also.  I do not have the rfle in hand to see.  I was wondering if yours came with a pin in the hole for the trigger tho, and if I should use it as a slave as I have not made one yet.  BTW I didn't mean to rub salt in the wound,  I would have been ticked if mine was that bent up.  Good thing you are handi with the tools.

JerryKo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
Yes, for someone that's not a DIYer, the mis-shaped spacer would have been bad news. But anyone that installed the TG had better be pretty handy with tools to do the trigger job, unless they have it done by a smith. ;)

I used the included slave pin to install the trigger, it could use a little more taper on the ends to allow it to align better, but it worked, but so does a piece of 3/16" dowel. :D

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »
But anyone that installed the TG had better be pretty handy with tools to do the trigger job, unless they have it done by a smith.

Tim,

How would you rate this project difficulty. 1- 10, 10 being hardest.  And how would a typical trigger job rate?

JerryKo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Metal finish work isn't hard with some power tools, just time consuming, that's about a 4. The holes in the TG are a little on the tight side, a pin wouldn't just slide in, I had to clean them up a bit with a drill bit by hand. Other than that, it fit pretty good. The spacer is on the thick side, so it will be tight, it's also rough so it can be thinned down and finished and won't need much if any shimming, screw holes are perfect.

The first trigger job is about a 7 or 8, but once you have one under your belt, they become a 3 or 4. :D The anxiety of the first trigger job is the biggest hurdle, actually doing it isn't all that hard. Of course some people just aren't inclined to be the DIY type, so it's harder, plus if they aren't DIYers, they likely don't have the tools that go along with it. :-\

Tim

Offline New Guy

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »
Some brass brazing rod could be used to build up the missing material on the back of the trigger guard.

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:04 AM »
Wonders never cease....two sets showed up in the mail today....they were ordered in October with never a word from Moyer's that the order was ever received, never a word that they were done and being shipped, nor did he ever answer my email's, nor was there any paper in the packing envelope showing what he charged my credit card.

I'm not sure where he learned his customer service skills from, but they need tuning badly.

The parts:  look good so far, but I guess I won't know until I try to start fitting them. Rough casting do not bother me since i have built a couple of the old CVA colonial pistol and Kentucky rifle kits with similar brass casting that required quite a bit of work to make look right. They look pretty clean with a minimum of flash, so he's done some grinding on them to remove sprue..

I'll  share the experience of cleaning them up once i get some shop time.

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
That set looks quite a bit better than the other set that Tim pictured that was warped.

Rick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
yes, but that trigger guard still has that big section that appears to have been ground off way too much, the rear of the trigger guard where it butts up to the receiver. Whats up with that?....<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Not too sure. He went to town with the power tools.

Rick