Author Topic: H&R Replacement Trigger Guard and forend spacer.  (Read 11348 times)

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
Re: H&R Replacement Trigger Guard and forend spacer.
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
Wife had the flu so had to postpone till today and this morning.

They shined up very well with dremel and flitz,but dont have a tight fit.  TG is same as Tims being overground at the rear.  My spacer was smallish from the get go.  I polished the outsides only and have a visible gap between the spacer and receiver when assembled.  :-\

I did a slight trigger job, and being I don't have a pull gauge I didn't go crazy with the stones.  It is an improvemt, but still heavy as compared to Mac's 338-06, but alot lighter than my son's 270 that isover 6 pounds.

I got alot better at the reassembly of trigger group and hammer during this project, so that alone was worth the effort.

My BC looks pretty nice,... sure wish I had a brass trigger and hammer now. ::)  Next trip will be to the range to make sure that spacer didn't cause any problems.

Thanks for the help along the way guys. ;)

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that Jerry, I'm working with Moyers to get the TG fixed, I think I'll end up send him a plastic TG so he knows how it should be made, I think he's using a really old TG cuz he says it has to be that way to fit!! Dunno what's up with the spacer, if it doesn't fit tight at the frame, the action will be real loose when open.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
if it doesn't fit tight at the frame, the action will be real loose when open.

Yep. :-\  Lots of side to side movement.  Oh well , I'll see how it shoots.

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
Also looks like the forearm spacer legs are a little short too, there will be a gap of about a 1/8/ inch when installed.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2008, 07:41:37 AM »
Also looks like the forearm spacer legs are a little short too, there will be a gap of about a 1/8/ inch when installed.

Yep again.  I did have it to the range today.  Still shoots good. :)  Trigger still seems a little heavy,... I'll probably be a bit more judicious with the honing this time.

JerryKo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
I've been corresponding with Moyers Gun Repair about the lack of quality and fit on his TG and spacer, his last email was a response forwarded from another customer that complained about the poor fit, basically the same issues that have been discussed here. I even offered to send him a trigger guard so he can see what's wrong with his copy, I've sent him numerous pics showing the discrepancies in his copy which he seems to blame on us as not knowing what we're doing, he thinks that his trigger guard is an exact duplicate of a modern TG, but I think he's using something very old that has changed since he thinks the rear part won't fit a frame unless he cuts that part away like he does.

I won't be ordering any more of his TGs or spacers, maybe he'll get the message and make some improvements, he could charge a bit more money and it wouldn't be bad if he'd make them fit like they should and match current production parts. :-\

Tim

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I agree with you and hate to see anyone, who is putting out a wanted product, be pigheaded about it at the same time. I do not understand his logic is being the authority who won't listen. All he has to do is come on here and see the years of accumulated H&R experience and the passion that most of us have for subject, and he would know that maybe he ought to perk up his ears.

His marketing and retails skills stink, but it would be somewhat forgiveable if his products were truly spot on.

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
I kinda get the idea that he either doesn't care, he doesn't want to make them for us or he has enough business that he doesn't need to make them. I see this so much with people and/or companies that are making enough money without the few that want a specializes item. Or they could care less if one or two or three or so people never come back because they are making it without those few. I see it in the food restaurant, hotel, motel, etc business all the time.  From what I've seen here, he doesn't have my business. But he probably doesn't care anyway.
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
Its his loss.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2008, 02:27:02 AM »
Well I am glad I waited for input from you guys before I ordered the sets I wanted. I will not be buying the sets of trigger guards and forearm spacers I had planned on from Mr. Moyer. If he decides to make a better product that fits I will revisit that possibility. I don't mind the finishing, but since the products appear to be cast and sized improperly, and his apparent stubbornness to change is a real problem. Am I correct in assuming if he did not grind out so much on the rear section of the brass trigger guard it may have fit much better without that open void next to the receiver where he ground away material? I am sorry these did not work out. I am sure he lost a lot of sales from this site and this group of Handiholics. As an aside, has anyone here ever received a steel set? Are they made the same way and virtually unusable?...<><....:(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2008, 02:42:16 AM »
Andy I ordered a set of steel (like a dummy) and another set of brass after I waited 4 months for the brass ones to get here. It seems I am in the same mode of wait as before. I have sent a couple of emails with no response .I think he is probly over his head with production on some of the other products he makes and supplies to the big cataloge companies and I would imagine they are putting a ton of pressure on him to deliver and we are the easiest group to ignore.If I get these I'm done with him I promise.Unless he makes barrel bands Kurt :o
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »
Am I correct in assuming if he did not grind out so much on the rear section of the brass trigger guard it may have fit much better without that open void next to the receiver where he ground away material? I am sorry these did not work out. I am sure he lost a lot of sales from this site and this group of Handiholics. As an aside, has anyone here ever received a steel set? Are they made the same way and virtually unusable?...<><....:(

That ground away part is one of my gripes, it would be very easy to not remove all that metal there IMO. The "legs" on the spacer are too short, and mine was warped, which I was able to fix without breaking it. The email from another customer that he forwarded to me was about a steel set, the trigger guard was such a misfit that once he finally got it installed, the hammer couldn't be pulled back.  :(

Tim

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2008, 06:00:32 AM »
When the person doing the selling gets "smarter" than the person buying, the sales usually
slow down.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »
Am I correct in assuming if he did not grind out so much on the rear section of the brass trigger guard it may have fit much better without that open void next to the receiver where he ground away material? I am sorry these did not work out. I am sure he lost a lot of sales from this site and this group of Handiholics. As an aside, has anyone here ever received a steel set? Are they made the same way and virtually unusable?...<><....:(

That ground away part is one of my gripes, it would be very easy to not remove all that metal there IMO. The "legs" on the spacer are too short, and mine was warped, which I was able to fix without breaking it. The email from another customer that he forwarded to me was about a steel set, the trigger guard was such a misfit that once he finally got it installed, the hammer couldn't be pulled back.  :(

Tim

Tim,

I was in a gunshop yesterday, they had one of the old "Baystate" H&R's with the steel trigger guard and spacer. There is a spot at the back where it leaves a triangular void (for looks) on this old example. He must have one of these that he is using as his model. if he would just leave it on there and let the customer take off what they dont want, all parties would be happier. It isn't like you don't have to shape and finish these anyways, what is a few more minutes shaping that back part? That old Baystate wad a 20 ga choked with snap on forend for 80 or 90 bucks if anyone is looking for one. It was a little loose in the lock-up department.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
Yup and that's what I tried to convey to him, but he wasn't interested in making any changes or even hearing any feedback for that matter. :-\

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2008, 04:48:59 AM »
Well I got the steel and the other set of brass that I had ordered. It appears that he did not do quite as much grinding on either of these but the problem remains that what he is using has got to be older patterns as the spacers lack at least 3/32" off the ears in length and the trigger guard part that Tim speaks of is still short even tho it is not ground off . I got a ? about installing these I have read the trigger adjustment stuff in the facts but what I would like to know is can I install these by just removing the 2 pins that hold this in or do I need to do a complete tear down and build the jig and other stuff it shows in the faq's. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2008, 05:36:32 AM »
I don't build the jig, just a piece of 1x4 oak with holes drilled in the right places to place under the frame, then a piece of ¼" plexi that has precise holes to clamp on top with the frame sandwiched between it and the 1x4 oak, that way the punches can't slip off the pins and damage the frame. Then use Raynor's and Perklo's instructions.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,86977.msg525383.html#msg525383

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »
Yes I seen your and that's pobly what I'll do but I still only have to punch the 2 out to change trigger guard right? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »
Yes, the bottom two, but you'll need to remove one more to do a trigger job which more than likely you'll want to do, mine went from 21oz to almost 5lbs!! :-\ The one that the hammer pivots on is an easy one to do, just the hammer and spring is all there is on it, so no need to stop with just the two in the trigger guard. ;)

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2008, 12:34:35 AM »
21 ONCES!!!!  And I thought Mac's 3lb was sweet. :-[  I got my son's from over six pounds down to around and under 4 just by replacing hammer and trigger with new untouched Brownells parts.  I left it at that for him. Going to be 7 yrs old in a coupla months.  So I hope over the years it should wear in real nice for him. :)

JerryKo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2008, 05:03:45 AM »
Yes, I honed it to ~2½lbs if I remember correctly, then just shooting it reduced it even further, so Perklo's warning about not going too low is for good reason, I shot the 45-120 a lot and it got real light, fortunately it didn't get any lighter and it's pretty much a range rifle only.  ;)

Tim