Author Topic: Need some input from you guys  (Read 958 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Need some input from you guys
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:26:06 AM »
I have a 22" bull , 22 Mag barrel coming to do my .224 GNR project , BUT i got to thinking , maybe a Hornet barrel would be a better choice . The mag has a 1 in 16 twist which will work well with the 35 & 40 grain bullets but the Hornet is a 1 in 12 which will let me shoot up to the 55 grain V-max . ( that i like alot )

The Reeder will be basicly a rimmed 222 , so what do you think , Mag or Hornet ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Need some input from you guys
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 04:45:07 AM »
I think definitely the Hornet barrel. The 55 grain are great bullets and you will not be disappointed.  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »
I'd go with the hornet barrel,you could shoot your 55gr v-max and bet the 40gr v-max would still do well.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
I'd go with the Hornet barrel too, it's got the better twist rate and is made of the better 4140 steel instead of the rimfire's 1137. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »
If you have a .22 Magnum, the Hornet would seem redundant.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline willyjohn

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 10:30:01 AM »
I was thinking the same thoughts as Tim. Better twist rate and better steel.   Bill

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »
My buddy had a hornet and he found that even the 40 gr Vmax was just poking holes in ground hogs at 100 yards-----------several wounded animals even though well hit. You need a good bit of velocity(~1800 fps) to get proper terminal performance out of these bullets. The 55's would also likely not perform well either. So if you plan on using the hornet for hunting please keep this in mind.

Mc

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
You need a good bit of velocity(~1800 fps) to get proper terminal performance out of these bullets.

I think the 224GNR would likely give 3100 - 3200 fps.  I would use the Hornet barrel if for no other reason than the better steel.

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »
Mc

From talking to Gary Reeder , the 224 GNR will give in the range of 3600 FPS with the 35 gr. and 3200 FPS with the 55 gr. bullets . this round ought to fit well between my 218 Bee and my 223 Rem.

For some reason i have fell in love with 22 bore rifles .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 03:25:49 PM »
I don't know about you Stimp,allway's trying something different. Why not just rechamber to a 222,it pretty well has proved itself over the year's as a topnotch round and will shoot good even in a sporter barrel.The old Rem. 722 that I shot this year's PD shoot with was very accurate for just a stock gun with a horrible trigger.
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:17:11 AM »
Its not possible to OVERSTABULIZE a bullet  ;D ::)....go with the Hornet barrel!!

On a similar note, if it weren't for the scarcity of the brass...the 225 Win might make for a dandy handy caliber!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 03:48:58 AM »
Actucally it is a bad thing to over stabalize a bullet.  At longer ranges it ends up flying through the air nose up because it is so stable, that at the end of the arc it flies, the nose is still pointing in the same direction as it left the muzzel (up).  This is why you see all the twist rates avaliable to the BR crowd in the custom barrel selections.  Find a bullet stability calculator online and then get a twist rate where your bullet will never have a stability factor less than 1 and you are all set.  You will also find that the twist required to stabalize a bullet is quite a lot less than popular opinion will tell you it is.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:39:42 AM »
Its not possible to OVERSTABULIZE a bullet  ;D ::)....go with the Hornet barrel!!

On a similar note, if it weren't for the scarcity of the brass...the 225 Win might make for a dandy handy caliber!!

CW

Some interesting reading on this subject for those interested..

http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/

http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfly/stab.htm#header_stability

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »
OK, but what are the yardages we are speaking of. It will be different for say a 22 Hornet compared to a 30-378 WBY.

I mean, if this theory of base hitting the ground first happens at say 1000 yards, because of the elevation held at, but the target is say 400 yards distant. What difference does it make? The bullet will do what its intended LONG before this base first ground contact ever begins to be a factor.

I offer that this may happen, but his is in the extremist yardages, not target distances. If you could prove to me it would happen with in the range attainable for a given caliber. I would have to agree it would be a issue.

Because of this, it doesn't seem to me to be as much to worry about.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »
extractor vs. ejector?  I think the other favorable things still would draw me to the .22 Hornet barrel.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
Biggest problem with a bullet flying nose high through the air is that it totally screws up the BC it is capable of, it will decrease in velocity much faster than it should.  More is not better in all things.  In extreme cases it will follow a curved path like a pitcher throwing a curve ball.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
Here is an article I wrote several years ago that will shed some light on what Larry said above. More twist is not better for sure.
Consider a 30 cal 118gr to 125 gr bullet will put all the bullets in one hole with
a 1-18" twist why would you want to use a 1-10" twist instead with these bullets.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/twist2.html

If you want to argue about twist you have to prove it with math some simple some very complicated.  Yes a bullet will yaw with too much twist and will not be accurate.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
This is the calculator I use, it is an exel spread sheet, so you need Microsoft exsel to use it,  but it works great..  I once had a 22-250 barrel with a 1 in 17 twist, it shot 40gr bullets at near light speed, didn't waste any energy spinning them up fast.  It would stabalize a 55gr bullet to atleast 100 yards.  Play with it, less can be more.  Larry

http://www.22-250.com/bulletcalc.xls

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 08:02:52 PM »
Getting too deep for my feeble mind.

My Sako .223 has a 14:1, one holer all day with 35-40s and half inch or so with 55's.

I shoot a great many p/dogs, most under 350, but, some in excess of 400, a few much further
and it seems to hit them the majority of the time with 55's @ 3100fps. Main thing that makes more
hits is how many I've been shooting within a few months.  Long layoff's and I've gotta relearn.

Two things I found.  23gr AA2200 which is hard to find now.  35 & 40's made the same 3640fps.
55's with the same charge were 3100fps.  V max 40's by far the most accurate of 19 various bullets
tested with this load.

The 35gr were right in the hole out to about 225yds. After that, especially beyond 250-300yds
scattered  ALL OVER THE HILLSIDE.  I'm talking 50 yards apart, Left, right, high low etc. No way
in the world of guessing where they might hit, exept they'd be a long way from where they were aimed.  Those were the stubby bullets. Can't think now whether they were v max, or something else.  Not many of that weight made so it shouldn't be hard to figure out by looking.

This is the same twist the original  222mag Sako barrel had, which is the limit of my experience.

Stimpy, I'd go with the Hornet tube, especially if the steel is harder.

Let us know what you've decided and how it works out.

Wish you well with it.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »
I think you know my answer, 22 Hornet :D Better steel more versatility with bullet weights. The 22 Hornet seems to do well with 1 - 12" twist with 35 through 55 grain bullets, so should your rimmed 222.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.