Author Topic: CVA "Bullet Guiding Muzzle"  (Read 1022 times)

Offline brasschaser

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA "Bullet Guiding Muzzle"
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »
I'm looking into getting my 1st muzzle loader, likely a CVA Wolf, Buckhorn, or Optima.  On several of their models they list having a "bullet guiding muzzle."  Is this an important feature to have?  When I was looking at some CVA rifles at the store I noticed on some that the rifling was recessed from the end of the bore.  I think that must be the bullet guiding muzzle type.

I will likely end up using the rifle w/ cast conical bullets if it makes any difference.  Don't really like the idea of paying almost a dollar a shot for premium copper jacketed bullets.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: CVA "Bullet Guiding Muzzle"
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
I'm looking into getting my 1st muzzle loader, likely a CVA Wolf, Buckhorn, or Optima.  On several of their models they list having a "bullet guiding muzzle."  Is this an important feature to have?  When I was looking at some CVA rifles at the store I noticed on some that the rifling was recessed from the end of the bore.  I think that must be the bullet guiding muzzle type.

I will likely end up using the rifle w/ cast conical bullets if it makes any difference.  Don't really like the idea of paying almost a dollar a shot for premium copper jacketed bullets.

It's a pretty nice feature IMHO...

While you may not like paying for the premium's...they sure will make a believer out of you when you do...http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,112267.msg1098347143.html#msg1098347143

The way I see it...since I shoot this way less than any center fire rifle I own...is to feed it what it likes...To have this kind of accuracy out of the box shows it's a good set up...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:24:27 AM »
The bullet guiding muzzle on the CVA's I have work well and have no adverse affect on accuracy that I have noticed. I can shoot most anything out of them, some better than others but that is normal. Mine tend to like heavier conicals, mid weight sabot's, even patched round ball with the right patch and powder load. I also don't like to shoot a lot of premium bullets due to the price. I'm not saying I never shoot them, I like to experiment, but I get as good of accuracy with a wide variety of bullets so I see no need to spend $1+ on bullets. I usually try to catch them on sale when I want to try them out. I do shoot my MLer more than my CF's so price becomes a factor. I also mould some of the bullets I shoot to save money and get some personal satisfaction from the process.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »
My CVA Magnum Hunter has the bullet guiding muzzle.  This rifle is very accurate with 100 grains of 777, Winchester 209 primer and a 300 grain XTP in the short black sabot.