Author Topic: Help with OE in 270  (Read 845 times)

Offline Mark_8408

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with OE in 270
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
After spending the last three weeks reading on this forum and else where, I was convinced I needed a optima elite for my new hunting rifle. I bought a Nikon buckmaster scope 3-9 and red head rings and base. So I went to the range today to break it in and sight in. Not So good. I was shooting Winchester super x 150 sp, and couldn't get a group to save my life. I cleaned the barrel after every shot for the first ten shots, and shot ten shots then cleaned again, twice. Any and all suggestions please. I plan to go to the range tommorow again to see if I can get this straightened out. Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help with OE in 270
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:26:18 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! I'd double check to make sure the base and rings are tight, did you use loctite on the base? If that's all good, I'd try some different ammo,  it may never like the Win ammo, but a simple change to Remington or Federal may be all it takes. Federal Power Shoks and Fusion have a real good reputation for being accurate in mine and a lot of other's rifles, even inexpensive(if there is such a thing any more!) Rem core lokts shoot good in a lot of my rifles.

I'd also put the front rest under the front of the frame instead of under the forend, that alone can cause accuracy issues in a break barrel due to the forend being supported at the mounting stud, and not floated.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mark_8408

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:36:17 PM »
The rings and base are lock tighted. I picked up some federal 130 grain and will try the suggestion on resting on the frame not forend. Thank you.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
Let us know how it works. ;)

Tim

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »
I took my 270 out yesterday to shoot for the first time. I was shooting hand loads with sierra game king 130 grain boat tails with 53.2 grains of IMR 4350. I have a bushnell banner 3x9x40 mounted on the durasight base.  After zeroing it at 50 yards I moved to 100 yards. It was ahooting moa all day long. The funny part was the warmer the barrel got, the better it shot. I switched to some hornady sst 130 grain with 51.6 grains of 4350 and it again shot sub moa at 100 yards. I was very pleased. I am thinking of getting rid of the 29 inch 50 caliber muzzleloading barrel because of the weight of it and getting a 24 inch barrel, just for the balance and less weight. I am very pleased with this gun so far. I did shoot corelocks and they did not shoot well ata ll from 50 grains to 54 grains of 4350 and some loads of 4831. I pretty much eliminated them from the future. As soon as the 7-08 barrel becomes available I will have one.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
RR has an SS 7mm-08 barrel in stock.

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=CB4600S

Grafs has a blued barrel in stock.

http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/143829

Tim

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
Thanks again Tim. You are the man when it comes to these things
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline Mark_8408

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
Went to the range on Monday. Still not as happy as I would like to be. Trigger pull is very heavy, and still not getting the groups that other people are getting. For those of you who have the 270 what are you shooting that is working well for you. And does any one have any suggestions on the heavy trigger pull.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
CVA will do a free trigger job on it, to about 4lbs or so, email Mark about it, see the CS sticky at the top of this forum. ;)

Tim