Author Topic: No one has supplies - order online???  (Read 909 times)

Offline scrollmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.gseco.com
No one has supplies - order online???
« on: June 07, 2003, 06:00:14 AM »
Is there a good place, online or phone, to get supplies to shoot my Ruger Old Army?  I'm new to bp shooting and need everything... flask, caps, wads, balls, powder, etc, etc, etc.  Is there one good place for everything?

My son & I visited two sporting goods stores this morning and virtually nothing for bp on hand.  Called the others and same story... even broke down and went in a Walmart.  No one stocking till hunting season.  I did find a hardware/sporting good store that had one small bottle of 2f 777 for muzzle loading $19.99... is this for pistol?  Knight brand snail type capper 18.99

Guess no trying it out this weekend... :cry:
Dennis
"Jus' don't stop me till I start a'lyin!"
~the scrollmaster~
http://community.webshots.com/album/76631533EfCCej

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 09:20:01 AM »
Bass Pro Shop has a great black powder section. There is one in Atlanta, I don't know if there is one near you. Cabelas is also good. Check the yellow pages, or call some gun shops and ask them if there is a good muzzleloading shop in your vicinity.
You can mailorder just about everything you want from Cabelas and Bass Pro, they have good online catalogs. It gets expensive for them to ship the powder, though. Be best if you could find that in person. Everybody has their own preference, I like Goex Black Powder, FFFg.
You know, Cabelas and Bass Pro have starter kits that would probably be good for you.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 09:53:43 AM »
I like Midway myself. They seem to have all you would need and their service and delivery is always right on.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 02:06:08 AM »
Scrollmaster

Of course, the king of them all is Dixie Gun Works - if they don't have it it may not be worth having.  Midway is cheaper for the most common things, though.  

There are actually a lot of internet sources, you have to look for them.  Look for Civil War re-enactment suppliers, they will have most anything you need as well.  

I concur that it is best to buy powder and caps in person.  Unless you shoot a whole lot, it isn't worth buying by the case.  The shipping charges for dangerous materials makes it not worth shipping one or two cans at a time.  It might be worth looking for one or two other guys with whom you might split a case, though.  Then it's worth looking at Maine Powder House or one of their compeitiors.  

I recommend the snail type (Ted Cash in brass) capper.  The in-line that I have only holds nine caps, so I have to reload it every time I cap five.  The snail type holds 100 caps, a whole tin.  Powder flasks are of several types, I use the brass cylinder type because they are heavy, hold enough powder, and I can't bend them.  Not historically accurate, though.  

Good luck finding what you need.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Bama76

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
try this one...cheapest I've found
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 07:44:42 AM »
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com click on the muzzle loader section. Be sure to check the clearance stuff under muzzleloaders also. I just made an order with them and found 2 or 3 things I needed on cleareance for half the cost of Cabelas and BassPro. They have a good selection of goodys and are nearly always cheaper than those 2. I have ordered from them for about 3 years now (I order my centerfire supplies there also) and have nothing but cheers for them. Worth a shot anyways  :grin:

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 03:03:21 PM »
As everyone recommends-powder and caps locally.  Ask around the gunshows and shops, there's a BP group of some kind in your area.  They usually make bulk buys on powder and caps.  Check the mailorder houses, but don't forget to check http://www.natchezss.com.  About 90% of the time they are the cheapest around.   Natchez Shooter Supply in TN.

Offline Flint

supplies
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 03:56:58 PM »
Also try Warren Muzzleloading Co. in Ozone, Arkansas,  You can download the whole catalog in PDF from the net, they sell everything, all size balls, sprueless, and all the other accouterments.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 03:50:10 AM »
I believe GOEX has a distributor locator that you can query.  It is for the big bulk users but that might give you a lead to someone in your area.  It helps to find a private gunshop that carries BP and accessories.